Attachment Parenting
Options

Bed sharing safety

Any ideas on how to prevent falls from the foot of the bed? I bed share with my almost 10 month old who is crawling, and he crawled off the foot of the bed last night in the middle of the night. He is gratefully fine, but it really scared me. I don't want to give up bed sharing but I also don't want him to fall again! Any ideas are much appreciated, thank you!

Re: Bed sharing safety

• Options
    Can you put a bed rail there? Or push a crib against the foot of the bed?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think he's getting able enough to crawl over bed rails, unfortunately. Thank you for the idea though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is a tough one. Honestly, we ditched the bedframe and put our mattress directly on the floor when DS was big and mobile enough to crawl. We also immediately began teaching him to turn around and slide off the bed backwards and safely. Took him just a few days to figure it out.

I wonder if you could put a bedrail at the foot of the bed and tie a bell to it or put something noisy (like aluminum foil) over the top, so that if he crawled down there and started to touch it/try to climb over it, you would hear him immediately...
    imageimage
  • Options
    We dealt with this about the same age with both of our boys. I did a blog post of our ideas: https://moregreenforlessgreen.com/how-do-i-safely-bedshare-with-crawling/. For us, adding a floor bed option was really helpful until baby learned to scale the bed and slide down.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas, I really do truly appreciate them!
  • Options
    @pixieprincss‌ Cool blog post! My only question would be your mention of swaddling your babies. Did you bedshare with your babies while swaddled? Or have them sleeping on a separate surface at that time (I skimmed and so may have missed that!). I was under the impression that that swaddling and bedsharing are incompatible:

https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000001Tear_offs/bedsharing_quickstart.pdf

Of course every family will choose what works best for them, but I just question the mention of swaddling a bedsharing baby in a blog post of that nature. Not trying to flame you. Just wondering if you had considered the risk to other parents who may take from your post that bedsharing and swaddling are compatible. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited August 2014

Ah, I totally see your point about clarification. Thanks! For inquiring minds: any time we used swaddling, baby was in the crib sidecar on the side away from adults or adult bedding.

• Options
    I put my mattress on the floor last night and so far so good...I'm going to try this for awhile because I'm not ready to stop yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"