March 2014 Moms
Options

How long does it take for LO to fall asleep at night (bedtime, not nap)?

SomersIslesSomersIsles member
edited August 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Just curious how long it typically takes when it's time to go to bed. Feel free to explain what method you use. I'm sure it varies from day to day, so maybe select the one that has happened the most often under normal circumstances (i.e. LO wasn't sick, teething, crazy day with MIL, etc.).

How long does it take for LO to fall asleep at night (bedtime, not nap)? 146 votes

Falls asleep while eating and stays asleep
31% 46 votes
Falls asleep the moment LO is put down pretty much
5% 8 votes
1-10 minutes
24% 36 votes
11-20 minutes
19% 28 votes
21-30 minutes
6% 9 votes
31-45 minutes
5% 8 votes
46-60 minutes
1% 2 votes
Over an hour
1% 2 votes
SS
2% 3 votes
Who are you people?
2% 4 votes

Re: How long does it take for LO to fall asleep at night (bedtime, not nap)?

• Options
    SomersIslesSomersIsles member
    edited August 2014
    He used to fall asleep while nursing and stay asleep.  Even while getting him swaddled he'd be passed out.  Nowadays he doesn't even fall asleep nursing and often pushes the boob away sooner than I expect (maybe he's getting distracted?).  When we put him down he sometimes stares into space.. fusses a bit... we pat his bum or I rub his forehead.. and eventually he does the "slow blink" and then fades away.  Lately, he's been rolling onto his tummy, fusses a bit like that, then falls asleep. 

He's still next to me in the PNP so it's easy to just pat his bum or rub his head while I lay in bed.  I really am not looking forward to when I have to be standing over his crib doing this...

ETA to add that I chose 11-20
  • Options
    I chose ss because Mia sometimes falls asleep with bottle. But if she doesn't it takes about ten minutes or less to get her to bed.

This is only bedtime. Naps are awful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    After last nap of the day (3/4ish to 5/6ish) bottle/snack, playtime, bath, boob (until she unlatches/falls asleep). Into the crib.
  • Options
    Anywhere from right away to probably 10-15 mins. I do butt patting until she stops squirming and sing the apples and bananas song

• Options
    I picked 1-10, but it varies. Sometimes she falls asleep while eating. other times she doesn't and I put her down drowsy but awake and she's out within 10 mins without any intervention.

• Options
    I picked when we put her down. We bath, lotion, pj Nd suit, top of with bottle and read while rocking. She gets really drowsy during story time son
  • Options
    Usually after bath we give her a bottle (Around 8ish) . After her bottle we snuggle on the couch and she's usually out with in 10 mins after eating. On the rare occasions she's being a stinker I usually just lay her in her crib on her belly and cut her glow worm on and she watches that for a few minutes then passes out. Shes pretty good about not fighting sleep, she gets that from her momma I NEED ALL THE SLEEP !!

Married  : ** 09/09/2011  ** BFP : 07-18-13 ** Baby #1 is a GIRL , Born 03/12/14 ** 
    ** BFP 2 :  01- 05-15 ** EDD 09-11-15 **

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby S 2. Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Usually she will fall asleep shortly after I put her down (or at least rolls over and close her eyes, not sure if she is 100% asleep at that point). Routine is diaper/bottle/sleepsack/paci/lullaby/crib. In most cases she is drowsy at the end of the lullaby. If she is still wide awake at that point, sometimes I'll still get lucky and she'll settle quickly once in the crib, other times it takes a bit while she fusses herself down. If it's a bad night, it could take up to 30 minutes with me coming back into the room a few times if she starts crying for her lost paci. (I think it's time for me to start using the sprinkle system, since she seems somewhat capable of getting it back herself now as long as she hasn't knocked it out of the crib.) 

Every now and then (has gotten less often) she'll have a wakeup after the first 40 minutes and need a paci replacement to go back to sleep, but then she's generally good for the rest of the night unless she gets hungry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    We nurse, burp, rock til drowsy, put down. And she wiggles around, grunts a little. Sometimes she falls asleep within minutes, but usually we have to go back in to rebinky 2-3 times after about 5 minutes each if she's notbfalling asleep and just still wiggling/grunting. She rarely cries so when she does we now know there's a burp or rogue wet diaper.

• Options
    Most nights she falls asleep easily after her bottle, a few minutes of rocking and sometimes singing to her.  She wakes a little once I put her down but she often just has to kick and squirm for a few minutes before she falls back to sleep.

Occasionally she just won't go down so I take her out in the living room and let her fall asleep out there.  It usually doesn't take long, especially if I put her in her activity mat.  Possibly a bad habit to start but eh, it gets her to sleep when the usual methods don't work.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    Falls asleep while nursing. I pat his back to get all air to escape before putting him to bed.
    Stays asleep when laid down unless he has a burp that didn't escape or needs to poop. Usually he is fussy at the breast if either of those was going to happen so I know before trying to lay him down.
    Most nights there is no problem and he's asleep in bed by 9pm, occasionally by 8pm.
  • Options
    Last week I started a loose version of the Sleep Easy Solution by Jennifer Waldburger and Jill Spivack. After consulting with my Dr. we decided to start this sleep training method, but leave in the MOTN feeds until he is 6 months.  Basically it teaches you to create a routine for baby and then put him down sleepy, but not fully asleep.  This way they can teach themselves how to go to sleep.

Our routine is bath, story, jammies, nurse and bed.  Before, I used to nurse him to sleep and then put him to bed that way but now I will nurse him and gently rouse him in order to keep him awake.  He might cry for a little bit, or talk to himself but now he falls asleep within 5-10 min.  The first night he did cry for 45 minutes, but following the sleep method you go in and soothe them with your voice in 5, 10 and 15 min intervals.

So far it has been working really well.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"