Multiples

Books + advice please

Ok ladies...FTM to be...tryin to get prep. For 2nd-3rd trimester twin preg. As well as life with twins. What books did you find most helpful? Advice to prepare me???

Sarah's job is a computer software architect. So it's a desk job....so maybe not as likely bed rest since she isn't on feet all day???

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.

Re: Books + advice please

• Each pregnancy is different and the best advice I have is to listen to your body and take care of yourself.  Drink lots and lots of water (and then drink more!).  Find doctors that you trust and feel comfortable with.  I am a teacher and spend a lot of time on my feet.  For both twin pregnancies I worked the Friday before my scheduled c-section on Monday (delivered 1st set at 37w1d and 2nd set at 37w2d)--no bedrest for me.  But again, every pregnancy is different so listen to your doctors and to your body.  With my first twin pregnancy I never felt any BH or labor pains/contractions, but with my 2nd twin pregnancy I was having strong contractions for about 2 weeks before I delivered.  I didn't think I was going to make it to my scheduled c-section but I did!  

What helped me the most (more than any book on twin pregnancies) was reading this message board.  When I would be up late at night rocking and feeding the babies I would read posts on my phone.  I never had time to post but it was so helpful to read about feeding schedules, breast feeding/formula feeding, etc.  

And as the pp mentioned...the lack of sleep is pretty brutal for the first 3 months (at least for me it was).  Once the babies start sleeping in longer stretches (5-6 hours) you will feel like a new person.  Hang in there those first few months and just know that it will get easier and that it is worth it!!!  
    m/c: Oct 2008
    m/c: Jan 2010
    dx: uterine lining issues
    IUI #1 BFP! Twins! A & E born Mar 2011 (37w1d)
    Then became pregnant with spontaneous twins! Twins again! MK & H born Mar 2013 (37w2d)  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was never put on bed rest and went until I have an emergency c section at 37.3 for high blood pressure. I did read Dr. Laura's book but didn't really follow it. I got the most information and advice from reading other women's real life experiences in forums like this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I never read any books.  I got some after the babies were born but didn't find them helpful.

FYI, sitting puts just as much strain on the cervix as standing.  If she has to go on bedrest, she will not be able to sit at a desk either.  I have a desk job too.

In order for there not to be strain on the cervix, feet have to be elevated.  Also on bedrest, I had to lie on my left side with my feet elevated above.  

Hopefully, she won't need bed rest anyway though!

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • I read Dr. Luke's book and it was ok... I am now reading "What to do when you are having two" and I find it enjoyable.... the most practical advice I am getting seems to be form the wonderful MOMS on this board!

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"