Secondary IF

Stomach Side Effects on Letrozole

Has anyone else experienced stomach issues while on Letrozole / Femara? The first month on my lesser dose I did not notice anything. 

Then last month I had almost three weeks of diarrhea (sorry if TMI). I saw two doctors, and at first I thought caught a stomach parasite/infection from my DD (giardia) and was on two different meds to clear it up (test for me came back negative but I was already on the medicine so they thought that was why). 

I had one week of relief and now this week when I was back on my Letrozole it started right back up again. It's terrible. I didn't want to think it would be the Letrozole, since I'm only on it 5 days a month, but now I think it's too big of a coincidence not to be. It is listed as a side effect of the drug, but I feel like it can be a side effect of many things which is why I didn't immediately put 2 and 2 together. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on 7.5mg that last two months, only 5mg the first month.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: Stomach Side Effects on Letrozole

• I didn't have any stomach side effects! DH is a GI doctor and I know he always says that your stomach can be super sensitive for weeks after a bug. It could be a side effect or it could be that your stomach is still really sensitive and the femara is bothering it. He's sleeping at the moment but I'm going to ask him when he wakes up.

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• I have IBS, so I'm a hot mess anyway when it comes to that. But on the letrozole, I don't notice it worse while on it.

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have IBS, so I'm a hot mess anyway when it comes to that. But on the letrozole, I don't notice it worse while on it.

I'm starting to think I might have IBS too. While this recent experience is worse in duration and severity it's not unlike me to have issues fairly regularly as well...hmm.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List

• Steph1673 said:
    I have IBS, so I'm a hot mess anyway when it comes to that. But on the letrozole, I don't notice it worse while on it.
    I'm starting to think I might have IBS too. While this recent experience is worse in duration and severity it's not unlike me to have issues fairly regularly as well...hmm.
    I was diagnosed in my early 20's- I had a colonoscopy at 22, they thought I may have diverticulitis, because my Mom & Grandma do, but luckily I didn't. IBS sucks, but I deal with it...

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • BookishMommaBookishMomma member
    edited August 2014
    I had IBS in my 20s. After going on antidepressants (for depression, not IBS), it has since gone away. My shrink suspects the 2 things are related, at least in my case, but who knows? All I know is I no longer have IBS symptoms like I once did.
    DX: I'm a Recurrent Loser
    Me (35) + DH (37) - Married Sept. 2007
    BFP #1 - DS born 7/11/11
    BFP#2 11/13/13 - EDD 7/29/14 - M/C at 5w3d
    BFP #3 12/28/13 - EDD 9/7/14 - M/C at 4w6d
    BFP#4 3/27/14 -  EDD 12/5/14 - Girl lost to 45X at 8w6d - D&C 
    BFP#5 10/15/14 - EDD 6/30/15 - M/C at 7w2d
    BFP #6 1/5/15 - EDD 9.16.14 [CLICKY for progress]
    In search of a image

• I have had that issue as well on Femara. Not the length you had but still had diarrhea on both rounds of it...coincidence? Maybe!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"