April 2015 Moms

HELP! My pets!

I am 7 weeks + 5days. During a dr.'s visit (not OB), my H mentioned that we have two pet guinea pigs. She immediately said to get rid of them or to leave them in the garage because I shouldn't be too exposed to them (their waste). She must've seen my reaction and said just to move them away.
When we got home we moved their cage to a furthest point in the house where they won't be close to our living area or kitchen. My husband helps with the cleaning and feeding. I just don't have the heart to get rid of them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Re: HELP! My pets!

• I know this is a problem with cats, but it's usually fine to just make sure someone else cleans the litter.  Maybe this is the same?  I'd suggest more  research before making any decisions.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you, I appreciate the feedback :)
  • Loading the player...
  • That's the first of that. I second more research for sure.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • https://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pets-and-other-animals-during-pregnancy.aspx

I wouldn't get rid of them but I would take care to ensure that you are not putting yourself at risk for infection by having someone else clean their cage and limit your handling of them as much as possible.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • PS I love guinea pigs :) I had two several years ago - we thought they were both the same sex, but we were wrong and we ended up with four little guinea pig babies.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • greneyedmom19greneyedmom19 member
    edited August 2014
    I am a veterinary technician and the concern is mainly parasites they might carry which can infect you through their stool. Just be careful around their stool and always wash your hands after touching them and you will be fine. There isn't much out there on the subject of rodents and pregnant women so your doctor probably just wants to be extra cautious.

• Thank you. I will certainly do more research.
  • I have guinea pigs and I wouldn't dream of getting rid of them just because I'm pregnant. The same goes for our cats. My husband has just picked up some extra responsibilities for the next 8 months. Enjoy the help while it lasts!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"