C-sections

1 year later ...

And I still have the "c-shelf" despite eating well and working out 5 days a week. (Disclaimer: I feel so blessed to have a healthy baby, that is most important. Secondarily, my mom body is a bit of a bummer!)

I'm still nursing twice a day so that could have something to do with my body holding on to some extra weight/fat, especially in the belly region.

Just looking for some hope/success stories that there's still a chance to bounce back after the year mark.

Re: 1 year later ...

• Sorry you're still dealing with body issues. I never had a c shelf and size wise went back to pre prego size eventually but for example my rib cage never went back to what it was before and that's bc DD sat high in my ribcage during pregnancy. And you are most likely right about nursing having to do with it. I know a lot of people will say BFing will quickly make you skinny. With me, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one on the planet, when I stopped BFing I lost the last 10lbs within like a month or so without doing anything different. I firmly believe your body will hold on to extra fat stores to enable BFing. Give it more time.
  • RDK24RDK24 member
    Sorry you're still dealing with body issues. I never had a c shelf and size wise went back to pre prego size eventually but for example my rib cage never went back to what it was before and that's bc DD sat high in my ribcage during pregnancy. And you are most likely right about nursing having to do with it. I know a lot of people will say BFing will quickly make you skinny. With me, and I seriously doubt I'm the only one on the planet, when I stopped BFing I lost the last 10lbs within like a month or so without doing anything different. I firmly believe your body will hold on to extra fat stores to enable BFing. Give it more time.
    Thank you, that was just the kind of hope I needed. :) I agree -- seems only natural that your body holds on to some extra fat while BFing. And I thought I'd be one of those "the weight just fell off while nursing!" moms. Pffff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, c shelf is the worst. I'm 2 years out and still carrying it. But I don't eat well or get a lot of exercise so don't use me as an example!
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Do you do the same workout everyday or do you change it up? Our bodies get used to our workout routines. Maybe trying something else and focus on your core. Work different muscles.

Also I've heard a lot of women say this when they are still breast feeding- I bet once you are done it will go away. Happened to me as well.
  • RDK24RDK24 member
    zbeesma86 said:
    Do you do the same workout everyday or do you change it up? Our bodies get used to our workout routines. Maybe trying something else and focus on your core. Work different muscles.

Also I've heard a lot of women say this when they are still breast feeding- I bet once you are done it will go away. Happened to me as well.
    I've been switching it up -- running, barre classes, gym in my bldg. But thanks for the advice -- I could use more variety in my ab workouts, specifically. 

We are just now down to nursing 2x a day, wakeup and bedtime. I'm hoping against hope that cutting out daytime feeding/pumping will have an effect on the extra weight/c-shelf, but I realize that it might take fully weaning.
  • I'll be honest, it's probably unrealistic to expect that area to look the same as it did before. I lost 56 lbs after baby #1 - took 14 months - and it improved a great deal but wasn't perfect. I am now 5 weeks post partum after #2 and definitely rocking the shelf. I only have 10 lbs at most to lose, so it's a bummer to deal with that. Hopefully time and exercise will help.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• RDK24RDK24 member
    I'll be honest, it's probably unrealistic to expect that area to look the same as it did before. I lost 56 lbs after baby #1 - took 14 months - and it improved a great deal but wasn't perfect. I am now 5 weeks post partum after #2 and definitely rocking the shelf. I only have 10 lbs at most to lose, so it's a bummer to deal with that. Hopefully time and exercise will help.
    Appreciate the honesty! I'd be happy with it looking better … not holding out much hope to look just like I did pre-pregnancy. Comes with the territory, I get it.  :)
  • I was told by my doctor that thoes first few weeks while you are healing will determine if you get that pouch or not. Meaning if you took things very easy and not over doing things you should be in the clear. They cut through mussels so if you over did things you could have tore mussels or strained them from healing back to normal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"