Boston Babies
Options

Where would you live???

Hi there-- I was born and raised on the North Shore but have been living near NYC for the last 8 years. I am dying to move home w my husband and 2 boys (2.11 and 3mo) I could be getting a job back in Boston. I hope to have a formal offer in the next couple of weeks.
Sooooooo, here's my question...If you could live anywhere in MA within driving distance to Boston, where would you live? Best schools, best commute, etc.
Our housing budget would most likely be around 600k max. Would like to stay within reasonable distance to family. They live from Swampscott to Brookline.
Thanks!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Where would you live???

• Options
    How long of a commute would you be willing to do? I'm a fan of suburbs west, but 600k you'll have to go a little farther out. Hopkinton, Holliston, Westborough, Northborough, Southboro are all great towns and have access to the commuter rail...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I live in Wilmington and it's perfect for commuting into the city because we have the commuter rail right in town.  Easy access to 93, 95, and 495.  You can get a decent size house for $600k and the town is in the process of building a brand new high school.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just moved out of Natick - it's easy to get to 128 & the Pike, plus there's commuter rails into the city (we used Wellesley Farms the most due to it's proximity to our house and availability of parking).  We just moved to Framingham, since the cost of purchasing a house was more reasonable for our budget - we were really pleasantly surprised in many ways when we expanded our search to Framingham.  
  • Options
    I live in Andover, and I LOVE it here.  It's not the cheapest town but 600k can get you a beautiful house.  My DH works in Boston and with traffic it's usually about a 45 minute commute (30 min no traffic).  There are also a couple commuter stations.  Schools are stellar, I know this from both professional and personal experience.  Lots of community activities, and we have a beautiful downtown!  Lots of pretty, family friendly neighborhoods.
  • Options
    H and I both work in Natick and commute into Boston. a budget of 600k will get you a pretty nice house depending on what size you're looking for. 
    ~Chrissy 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I got the formal offer and I literally CANNOT wait to move home! I would be working from 9-630. It's located on Soldiers Field Road. Ideally I wanted to move back to the North Shore but MAN, that would be a hectic commute. I would never see my boys! I have parking at work so I don't need the commuter rail. Let the logistical mania begin!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Where is Swampscott do you have family? I am from there. Unfortunately, my husband and I just went through this. My family lives in Swampscott and his family lives in Lexington. We are moving to Westford which is about an hour away from Swampscott. We really weren't finding areas with good schools with land on the north shore. You do not want to live in Salem that is for sure since from August to November you can't move in the city.  
  • Options
    You can't get anything for 600k in Winchester, FYI. Natick is a good option. Wakefield has become very desireable. Andover is also very nice but keep in mind you would be about less than 10 min south of New Hampshire, which may not matter to you. Wayland, Sudbury are also really nice.

@lovenyc - we just moved from Brighton so know the soldiers field road area well. What about Arlington? Concord? Your best bet may be places along route 2 - for $600k you may even be able to snag a pretty good townhouse in Cambridge if you wanted, but you may require private schools for the kids that way. Even metro west would serve you well. Westford is really nice, as is Littleton and the commute isn't as awful as if you needed to take the pike in the morning.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm from Swampscott too @RT0516! I'll have to pm you. I had this vision of moving back to raise my boys but that commute would be silly.
    I have been digging around for rentals in Watertown and Arlington. We'll rent until my husband moves from NJ.
    Oh--
    @Wine&Cupcakes, do you know anyone who has used Little Sprouts daycare in Brighton??
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would say maybe Lynnfield would be good, beautiful homes, nice town & I would think not a bad commute to Boston.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @RT0516‌ I'm in Westford! :)

Arlington is a nice town with easy access to the city and to Soldiers field road. Nice restaurants, too!!
  • Options
    From what I've heard, try to move where you can get to Soldiers Field from back roads. The Pike and Rte 9 get crazy. 128 is not great either, but manageable if you aren't on it for too many miles. Do you know where your husband might work yet? Maybe look for a town on commuter rail, even if you drive. The Acton line and Framingha commuter lines are good places to start. We had a rough time buying last year and ended up on Franklin line - which we like, but may not work for you. Also, the further out you are, the less expensive day car will be!
  • Options
    Wish4BabyMWish4BabyM member
    edited October 2014
    @KFlora83‌ Wilmington here too!!!

For 600k you can get a really nice house here is wilmington.. Schools are rated 7 here. Like flora said we getting a new HS now. Our utilities are the best around I have to say and our taxes are one of the lowest compared to surrounding towns

TTC Since Nov 13
    Hubs 39 / ME 38
    MC April 2014
    5 mg Letrozole
    BFP August / EDD May 11th FX for Sticky BeanBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DH and I live in Burlington now. We're looking to spend $600-$650k on a house and we're thinking Acton.. It's a top school district while being affordable near-ish to Boston. We can't afford Lexington (which would be our first choice), and we wouldn't be able to get the house we want in Wayland.. But we are 100% focused on the school system and proximity to the city.
  • Options
    Little Sprouts is relatively new so I don't know anyone who uses it. Sorry!

It looks nice!
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"