Maryland Babies
Options

Howard County Ob-Gyn Recommendations

I am starting my 28th week and am seriously thinking about switching Obs. I really loved the doctor I first met with, but she is pregnant and won't be around until the end of my pregnancy. So I decided to rotate and meet with the other doctors in the practice but none of them gave me the reassurance she did. I've had some issues trying to reach them and some calls not returned. I have to keep asking them about every step. I just called and asked them about my glucose test, which I am pretty sure should have been scheduled by now, and they told me to talk to them when I come next time... When I ask them about preparations, they said I did not need to fast and that was it.

I know it's late in the game but I am really starting to feel insecure and second guess my decision. Is it too late to change doctors?

Anyone knows of a good Ob-gyn who delivers at Howard County General? Any recommendations are truly appreciated...

Thanks!

image image image Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Howard County Ob-Gyn Recommendations

• Options
    I was really happy with Johns Hopkins Community Physicians in Columbia.
  • Options

Great! Do you mind telling me who you saw there?

Thanks!

image image image Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I saw all of the doctors and the midwife, but Dr. Rojas (the only man) was my primary, and is the one I see for my annual exams.  They're all super nice and take time to answer all of your questions.

Between talking to the on-call doc on the phone the night I went to L&D and my hospital stay, I dealt with all but one of the providers when I delivered.  Dr. Kwong was on call the night I went in, then Dr. Colon and Debbie the midwife started my induction the next morning (we found out after testing that I had low amniotic fluid), and Dr. Rojas delivered my daughter.  Debbie made rounds on the maternal-child unit each day as well.  Dr. Goitom, who I didn't see at the hospital, has her kids at the same daycare we use, so we see her every once in a while and she always says hi.

The office is off of Broken Land, very close to route 29.

• Options

I went to Dr.'s Hogan, Esposito and Mayer and I do NOT recommend them. (I actually go to Bay Area Midwifery center and will be delivering at AAMC, so I'm not much help at this point.)

Good luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I also go to Johns Hopinks Community Physicians - i switched around week 15 from Hogan Espisito etc.  I see Dr. Colon and I love her.
  • Options
    I also went to Drs. Hogan, Esposito and Mayer and DO NOT recommend that practice.  I saw two different midwives and they were horrible.  The one almost brought me to tears she was SO nasty!!  If I wasn't half naked wrapped in a paper sheet, I would've stormed out.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your advice. Very helpful!
  • Options
    I'm not sure if you have found anyone yet but I went to franklin square woman's pavilion and delivered my two son's there and I'm TTC at the moment abroad but I will be returning to the states to deliver and plan on returning there.
  • Options

I go to the Women's OBGYN Group (aka Girls with Pearls).  They are all pretty fabulous - you do have to rotate and see them all since anyone of them could be on call when you deliver.  But they are great - even the nurses and staff members. 

While their office is right across from HoCo General, you'd deliver at St. Agnes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I also see Drs Esposito, Mayer, Hogan, & Assoc....but I love them.  I'm sure the other people have a valid reason for not liking them, but I've been going there for two years and am quite the frequent patient (I'm a high-risk pregnancy plus I was seen last year for a pregnancy that resulted in miscarriage. I've been there just about every 2 weeks since May). I've seen every doctor as well as 3 or 4 of the midwives, and I have nothing bad to say.  They've been very good to me.  One doc got on my nerves a bit, but that was just a personality clash. I haven't seen her since.

Just wanted to chime in to stick up for them. I'm curious what happened to others there though...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hi, I too use Drs Esposito Mayer, Hogan practice.   Specifically, my Dr. is Dr. Holsey whom I like... A LOT.   I had an appointment today and I saw Dr. Sun.  She was ok as well.    I actually go to the Carroll County (Eldersburg) office, but will deliver at Howard County General.

For those who had a bad experience, PLEASE SHARE WITH ME.  I am still new there and would love any and all feedback.  If necessary please PM me and I will hold your responses in confidence.   

I found this practice in looking for something with convenience... I live in Owings Mills (about 10 minutes from the Eldersburg office) and my son goes to school in Eldersburg so I searched for a practice in that area... and then researched the Drs. within the practice.   But I did not get any "personal references" i.e. friends who had gone there and could share their experiences. 

The staff has been very nice so far, but I've never been to the main office in Howard County.

• Options
    Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Thank you all for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. Not having many friends in the area, it is hard to make a decision based on online research only.

I saw Dr. Goitam at Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, in Columbia, and really liked her. I had a list with all my questions and she addressed them all. 

I also did my glucose test and everything went well, but they did find out I was a little anemic, so the nurse there called me right away and Dr. Goitam prescribed some iron supplements, so I am all good.

• Options

I'm also with Drs. Esposito, Mayer, Hogan & Associates. I'm not very fond of the practice as well but I hate change especially during my pregnancy and it's very convenient for me. I like the pharmacy in the building, it's next to my DD's pedi and 5mins away from my house.

I don't like the fact that for the year I've been with the practice, I've only dealt with the midwives. I chose a Dr and yet to meet her. The scheduling overlaps especially on Fridays and gets too busy. The nurses are pretty rude as well. I don't particularly hate the practice, neither do I love it. I've had issues with my milk supply, explained it to the midwife and I even suggested to be given a prescription. She referred me to an LC that she's worked with that I called and yet to give me a call back. I've also felt rushed at times because they're so "busy" so I don't feel that 1-on-1 attention. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have to say, I was considering swiching to the Howard County Office, as the Eldersburg one is just a "sattelite" office but now, I guess not.  At Eldersburg, I have only seen the Doc I CHOOSE to see, and I have only once had to see the MW, which was this past Friday, when I went in on an emergency basis because I had a UTI.   She too was very nice!  At the Elsdersburg office they are all especially nice and sweet, the nurses, the staff... everyone!  

You all now have me scared about my delivery experience!!!  I have only had a positive experience with this practice so far.

• Options
    I am seriously switching to considering BAMC, but delivering at the birth center.  I would love to hear about your experience with BAMC so far if you don't mind. I'm 18 weeks and am on my second OB and I can't take it anymore.  The incompetence with these Dr.s offices is killing me (hopefully not literally).  Hope to hear from you!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I'm so sick of the assembly line process in these big groups.  I want my Obgyn to know me, my history, our preferences and plans.  I don't want to repeat the same story to every doctor at each visit. 

I finally found an awesome SOLO Female Obgyn in Columbia (Howard County).  Dr. Homayara Aziz!!  She delivered my niece and is super nice and friendly... really knows her stuff and very thorough.  Most importantly she spends a lot of time answering all your questions and makes prenatal visits something to look forward to! 

• Options
    Is Esposito Hogan Mayer the same as Signature obgyn? I am new to the area and signed up with Signature but when I google Esposito, I get Signature obgyn.  Can anyone share any insight? Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, but Espiosito has left the practice. It is now officiated with Hopkins and was renamed Signature. I started there with my first child, and delivered with the midwives. Still there and still happy with them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Feb'15 November Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    I used Signature OB/GYN for both my pregnancies and have nothing but good things to say about them.  I used the Columbia location (which in one of the newer buildings now) and I was always able to get an appointment with my regular OB.  The only drawback was that it was impossible to get in there for an ultrasound...they were ALWAYS booked, particularly during my second pregnancy.  I had to go to the Univ of MD in Baltimore for most of my ultrasounds.  That was three years ago so it may have changed since then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@junebugrbig. Hi! So glad to hear you had a good experience with Signature OBGYN. This is my first pregnancy, only 6 weeks, and since we recently moved to Howard County I kind of had to find an OBGYN without much research first. I had originally hoped to look around, have a well woman visit first before choosing, but, well, little bean made it's appearance sooner than expected. So basically I just have my fingers crossed that I like them.

The only issue I have had so far is that there are never any of the docs available, and I have two appointments with two separate midwives. I have a lot of respect for midwives, don't get me wrong, but mine is a high risk pregnancy so OBGYN is probably more appropriate...however the docs are always booked. Otherwise they seem nice and open to my questions.

Me-24~~ DH-25~~Married 6/15/2013~~Pregnant with our first due April 2, 2015~ Septate/ Bicornuate/Arcuate /some kind of not-normal uterus- won't know for sure which one till after babe is born~~Hoping for a full term baby!

BabyFetus TickerWorkout Row Flip Fail.gif

• Options

@junebugrbig. Hi! So glad to hear you had a good experience with Signature OBGYN. This is my first pregnancy, only 6 weeks, and since we recently moved to Howard County I kind of had to find an OBGYN without much research first. I had originally hoped to look around, have a well woman visit first before choosing, but, well, little bean made it's appearance sooner than expected. So basically I just have my fingers crossed that I like them.

The only issue I have had so far is that there are never any of the docs available, and I have two appointments with two separate midwives. I have a lot of respect for midwives, don't get me wrong, but mine is a high risk pregnancy so OBGYN is probably more appropriate...however the docs are always booked. Otherwise they seem nice and open to my questions.

I was considered high risk too since I was 41 during my 2nd pregnancy.  I saw the midwives a couple times early then with the OBs the rest of the time.  I would say I saw my regular OB 90% of the time.  Once we got closer and I had to come in more frequently for monitoring, I saw other OBs.  The OB that did my c-section was the OB that was on duty at the hospital that day, not my regular OB.  I had no problem with this because I liked all the doctors.  I am kinda of surprised they don't have you in with an OB already since you are high risk.  If you are concerned, maybe you should check out a couple of different practices to see what else is out there.  Good luck to you!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also go to Signature OB/GYN and did for DD.  They recommend you go to each doctor during your pregnancy because whoever is on call the day you deliver is who you get.  I didn't mind that at all and had a completely fine experience.  If you favor one doctor over another during the pregnancy, some spend more time and answer more questions.  I noticed that some were more in line with my values than others.  Just know you get the luck of the draw on the delivery day.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"