Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Toddler Bed vs Twin Bed

jcrisingjcrising member
edited August 2014 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Is a toddler bed better for transitioning from a crib rather than going straight to a twin?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Toddler Bed vs Twin Bed 54 votes

Toddler Bed
44% 24 votes
Twin Bed
55% 30 votes

Re: Toddler Bed vs Twin Bed

• Options
    We switched DS1 to a twin out of his crib and will do the same with DS2.  We felt no need to add an extra transition in there when you can just switch to the twin and be done.  
  • Options
    Im so glad I looked at this! My husband and I have been debating what to do about the transition, I like the idea of a box spring and mattress on the floor with a guard rail! I'll have to run that by the hubs :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted twin bed.  We transitioned DS1 to twin bed (wall 1 side, guardrail the other) at 2 years 4 months because I wanted the crib for DS2.  He had already been in the co-sleeper for 7 months and PNP for 3 before he got the crib.  We will probably try to convert the crib to a toddler bed for DS2 when he is ready.  I'll put off buying a new bed if possible.  It's money I can procrastinate on spending.  If the crib didn't convert, I'd go straight to twin, though.  I don't see the reason to spend money on a toddler bed.  

• Options
    We went right to twin bed, it's worked well for us. DS was 14 months (now 19 months)
  • Options
    for those of you who have transitioned out of a crib, do your kids get up and walk around the room or come out of their room at night?
    Has that led to any dangers or problems?

• Options

We have cribs that convert to toddler beds.  It was a good transition with DD to a toddler bed, but we will eventually end up buying a twin bed for her.  So, it's probably a better investment to get a twin bed. 

DD does get out of bed occasionally.  Mostly at naptime she will get out to play in her room, or bedtime she has gone through phases where she needs a drink of water or whatever.  In the morning she will come into our room when she wakes up.  She's usually pretty good about it- as good as you can expect a 2 1/2 year old to be. 

• Options
    for those of you who have transitioned out of a crib, do your kids get up and walk around the room or come out of their room at night?
    Has that led to any dangers or problems?

Sometimes DD will.  She gets out of her bed and looks out the window since it's not totally dark when she goes to bed.  Once she sprayed an entire bottle of detangler out all over herself (this stuff is now kept locked up when she's asleep).  Every once in awhile she'll wonder into our room or her brother's room at night.  Once I went up to bed and she was laying in my bed playing on my kindle which was on my nightstand.  Most of the time though she just goes to sleep.  
  • Options
    greyt00greyt00 member
    edited August 2014
    DS1 got up and left his room at all hours of the night for a few months.  After inadvertently reinforcing some bad behavior, we started doing the right thing and he understands now he should stay in bed.  He's not perfect, but things are much better.  

I dread this with DS2 when he gets a bed.  If his personality stays how it's been so far, I think he will be easier, though.  We also know what traps not to fall into.  I hope to keep him in the crib until he is at least 2.5 years old or close to 3!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    We went straight to a twin bed.  To keep them safe and in their room. I install a baby gate in their door way.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"