July 2013 Moms
Options

Those who have flown without buying LO a seat

I've seen it mentioned here that you can ask to sit next to an open seat and bring the carseat on board even though you didn't buy a ticket. Has anyone here actually done this or tried to do this? I'm planning to bring the car seat with me to the gate regardless (I'm bringing one of those carts you can snap the carseat onto).

Should I ask at the check in counter or at the gate? Both? Is this actually even a potential option?

I'm probably overthinking this but I'm traveling alone and I will have a very tired baby on my hands who hasn't slept on my lap in months.

TIA for any insight you can offer me!
Me: 35  H: 35
Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
that place where you can still remember dreaming?
That's where I will always love you.  
That's where I'll be waiting."
~Peter Pan 

*TW*
BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 

Re: Those who have flown without buying LO a seat

• Options
    I think it all depends on if the flight is full or not. In my case it was full both ways so I didn't get a chance. Usually you gate check it so I'd just ask at the gate. Also, my DD slept for hours in the ergo. It was hot as all heck but at least she slept.
  • Options
    I've never asked to be switched to be next to an open seat once getting to the gate (OR you could try to switch your seat to be next to an open one when you check in online, and ask again at the gate when you get there?), but United gave us the tip once to book two seats on the aisle and window, and hope that nobody buys the center seat.  It never worked for us, the few times we tried it (and now it's moot anyway since we have two LOs and we have to buy DS1 a seat).

If I were you and traveling by myself, I'd give it a shot, though, especially if you have a long-ish flight and your LO won't sleep on you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't done this, but I would think it's be best to ask at the gate. I'm guessing they won't release seats for that purpose until the very last moment once they make sure they have room as things are constantly changing due to re routing people due to missed connections, people standing by for earlier flights, etc.... So it is probably fruitless to ask at the ticket counter.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I think that most airlines will try and reserve an empty seat for you*, as long as the flight isn't full, so just bring your seat to the gate and ask if there's an empty seat available. We flew to Seattle and on the way there they had an empty seat and I brought the carseat on, and on the way back it was full so I had to hold her and gate check the seat. Good luck!

ETA: * if you say you have a lap infant, I think they try and reserve an empty seat for you. But it probably depends on the airline/flight etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My little love was born July 20th, 2013!

BFP 11.11.12

TTC #1 Since March 2012

• Options
    We haven't flown with LO yet, but I have personally never been on a flight where there were open seats, so I would never try this.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We've been on ~10 planes with DD. Once at the gate, we were offered different seats so we'd have one open and could bring the car seat on. Another time, a woman realised she was sitting next to a baby, so she asked to be moved (yay!). All other times, I (or we, if with DH) have had to hold a wiggly baby. Ask at the gate if not offered. 

On our most recent flight a few days ago, DD really enjoyed standing between my legs while I was sitting in my seat and playing with toys on my legs/lap. She hates sitting still. 
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh - the one time we did get the car seat in an empty seat, the woman in front couldn't recline her seat because of it, and she bitched a lot about it  :-@ the only place the car seat can really go in the window seat (for safety reasons in an emergency, and out would be impossible to get out otherwise) so too bad, lady. 

ETA: the flight was half empty. She could have moved.
  • Options
    We bought the seat when DD was 3 months & lap-child after that. I would say give it a shot. The worst they could say is no & then they gate-check the whole apparatus.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've never asked to be switched to be next to an open seat once getting to the gate (OR you could try to switch your seat to be next to an open one when you check in online, and ask again at the gate when you get there?), but United gave us the tip once to book two seats on the aisle and window, and hope that nobody buys the center seat.  It never worked for us, the few times we tried it (and now it's moot anyway since we have two LOs and we have to buy DS1 a seat).

If I were you and traveling by myself, I'd give it a shot, though, especially if you have a long-ish flight and your LO won't sleep on you.

We used to book the aisle and window seat when we only had DS1 and it worked every time. We always ended up having the whole row to ourself. Now that we have DS2, we don't need that trick. My inlaws even started booking like for more room, and they too have never had someone book the middle seat.
    photo 3dcc1df8-8755-401b-b56e-15712e9fb0c0_zps92b14273.jpg
    Matteo 08/02/2011 Cruz 06/19/2013

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

We successfully did this once, but it only worked on one leg of our RT flight. That said, I have a hunch we're going to be spending a lot of our upcoming flight to CA in the aisles...
  • Options
    Byjove03 said:
    It can't hurt to ask- we haven't had luck with it, but you can always ask at the gate. I sometimes find the people at check in are more helpful.

We have upcoming travel in October where we purchased a seat for DD and United has been zero helpful trying to get our seats arranged so that we are in a car seat compliant seat and that my 1 yr old DD isn't sitting by herself. It stresses me out to not have this figured out in advance.
    Also, FWIW, United was the WORST experience for us, and JetBlue the best so far. Sorry it's universally bad!
  • Options
    I know you aren't looking for reasons why you should buy a seat for your LO so I won't go into that but I would be worried about what happens to your car seat once its checked (assuming there are no extra seats) - it could be damaged and you wouldn't ever know. 

https://csftl.org/leaving-on-a-jet-plane-the-csftl-guide-to-safe-air-travel-with-children/
  • Options

Delta wouldn't let me bring the car seat through security.

Delta wouldn't or TSA people wouldn't?

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options

I know you aren't looking for reasons why you should buy a seat for your LO so I won't go into that but I would be worried about what happens to your car seat once its checked (assuming there are no extra seats) - it could be damaged and you wouldn't ever know. 

https://csftl.org/leaving-on-a-jet-plane-the-csftl-guide-to-safe-air-travel-with-children/

I know, and I wish I didn't have to, but tickets were $700 so buying him a seat wasn't really an option :(

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    Byjove03 said:
    Byjove03 said:
    It can't hurt to ask- we haven't had luck with it, but you can always ask at the gate. I sometimes find the people at check in are more helpful.

We have upcoming travel in October where we purchased a seat for DD and United has been zero helpful trying to get our seats arranged so that we are in a car seat compliant seat and that my 1 yr old DD isn't sitting by herself. It stresses me out to not have this figured out in advance.
    Also, FWIW, United was the WORST experience for us, and JetBlue the best so far. Sorry it's universally bad!
    Thanks for the heads up!! I'll be sure to pack my battle gear :)
    Incidentally, United won't let babies/small children board first, but when they call people with disabilities, it turns out they legally CAN'T challenge you if you board, because you may have a disability that isn't visible. (A helpful gate agent told me that, after we landed...when we were boarding, DD was 2.5m, and SCREAMING, and would have calmed down if I could have just sat on the plane and nursed her. Since they wouldn't let me board, I stood right next to the gate agents and stared at them while she screamed. It was satisfying, at least.)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the insight ladies! It's all been very helpful. I think I will attempt it at least. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me! I've checked a few of my flights and some still have open seats, so I'm hoping it stays that way.

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • Options
    Air Canada made me check the convertible at baggage check (good thing I had it's case) because the flight was full. It was full there and back so I didn't get a chance to ask. I feel like it depends on your route...Toronto to Vancouver always seems to be packed. Good luck.
  • Options
    I flew with LO and the plane was totally booked. United was extremely unhelpful. They gave us a middle and aisle seat so LOs car seat would block the window person in. Luckily the lady I was sitting with was fine about switching seats, but still I was angry.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I did this once on a flight from FL to NJ on Frontier Airlines.  When we got to the gate I asked if it was possible to have my seat changed so it would be next to an open seat and I could bring the car seat.  I was shocked but it actually worked!  I was able to bring the car seat on and my son slept the whole way home.  I'm flying on American in October and hoping it works again.  I think it all depends on the mood of the person at the gate and of course if there are open seats.  Good luck!
  • Options
    PS i'm a lurker (if that's the right term) DS1 is 13 months and I find out tomorrow if he will be having a brother or sister due January 10th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"