December 2014 Moms

Enlarged kidneys on 20wk US

I just went over my results from my 20 wk US and my doctor said that the kidneys are measuring larger than normal and that I have to go back for another US at 28 wks. That's all he said and didn't say anything else. Google makes me really nervous with the things it's saying. Any info you have?

Answers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is it something called Pyelactasis ?

If so then my son had it too during his a/s.  My doctor told me it is very common and the great majority of the time it is resolved in utero, but I also had to have regular ultrasounds to keep an eye on it too.

Sure enough by the 34 week mark all was normal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sarah1253Sarah1253 member
    edited August 2014
    My MD said my babies Kidneys were slightly dilated as well. My doctor said to me please don't worry about this because its VERY common and he wasn't worried. He said I also need another ultrasound at 28 weeks to see if there are any changes. He said that a lot of times it resolves itself before the baby is born but if it doesn't you just alert your pediatrician. I looked up Kidney Reflux and it looks like if it doesn't resolve before the baby is born it usually does before the age of 5. Apparently there is a higher risk for kidney infections so that is why you need to let your pediatrician know. Its nothing life threatening just something to be aware of is the information I have been given so try not to worry to much.

My doctor said a few times its nothing he is worried about and its very common. My babies kidneys were just in the mild level of being dilated. 

Hopefully your doctor will give you some peace. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• I hope all ends up well.
  • My MD said my babies Kidneys were slightly dilated as well. My doctor said to me please don't worry about this because its VERY common and he wasn't worried. He said I also need another ultrasound at 28 weeks to see if there are any changes. He said that a lot of times it resolves itself before the baby is born but if it doesn't you just alert your pediatrician. I looked up Kidney Reflux and it looks like if it doesn't resolve before the baby is born it usually does before the age of 5. Apparently there is a higher risk for kidney infections so that is why you need to let your pediatrician know. Its nothing life threatening just something to be aware of is the information I have been given so try not to worry to much.

My doctor said a few times its nothing he is worried about and its very common. My babies kidneys were just in the mild level of being dilated. 

Hopefully your doctor will give you some peace. 
    Right.  I don't know what the OP has, but I talked to my Dr about Pyelectasis and he said that in all of his years of practicing, he only knows of one child that needed surgery to correct the issue and even then it wasn't serious.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"