Baby Names

Names I love that DH has vetoed

526SadieSadie526SadieSadie member
edited August 2014 in Baby Names

We're pretty much set for a girl name (Natalie Ruth) but that hasn't stopped me from looking at others just in case something really strikes me.  Boy names we've kind of hit a stand-still because we have very different styles. 
What names have you had to cross off your lists?

Girls:

Mercedes, Esme, Emmanuelle, Imogene, Jordan, Caroline, Fiona

Boys:

Dresden, Bodhi, Dominick, River  (My top choice is Lennon which DH says he hates but I think if I keep suggesting names I know he'll hate even more he might relent - he got to chose DD's first name and BOTH middle names for a boy.  I'm thinking he needs to compromise more)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Names I love that DH has vetoed

• Oh Booo! 

Louis pronounce Lou-ee or Lewis?  Aurora is so pretty!

• Either way, I like Louis.

We live in Rhode Island and I'm a Boston Red Sox fan.  All he can think of is Sweet Caroline and he is so sick of that song at the end of baseball season (I force him to watch with me lol)

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah.  After he said that, it made a lot of sense to me, too.  We decided against Dominick because of that stupid Dominick the Donkey song, fearing our son would come home from school crying that kids were hee-haw, hee-hawing at him all day.  So I agreed it was best not to go with Caroline so she wouldn't have to hear so good! so good! so good! bah bah bah all day.

• My husband vetoed all names beginning with a v, including my all-time favorite of Veronica.  He also vetoed Eleanor, which is his cousin's name.  

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• My husband vetoed all names beginning with a v, including my all-time favorite of Veronica.  He also vetoed Eleanor, which is his cousin's name.  

LoL, what did the letter V ever do to him? lol  Was it an arbitrary No V Names Ever?  (I'm picturing his face covered in cold cream and him flailing a wire hanger around)

LoL, what did the letter V ever do to him? lol  Was it an arbitrary No V Names Ever?  (I'm picturing his face covered in cold cream and him flailing a wire hanger around)
    Right?  I don't know.  Every time I suggest one (Vivian, Veronica, Violet, Victoria), he crunches his face up and tells me the sound of it is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  So, no V-names.  So odd.  I do love Vivian.  And Veronica.  God, how I love Veronica.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • So many fine names have gone to the name graveyard for me, vetoed by my dh:

Damien
    Desmond
    Ernest
    Rupert
    Eustace
    Hugo

Cecilia
    Viola
    Agnes
    Serena
    Lyra

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Mercedes so much, it is on our short list. Worth a fight, that one! ;)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH has vetoed Ivan and Boyd for boys and Britta and Sylvia for girls. :(
    Anniversary
  • We haven't had a ton of completely vetoed names. All I can think of right now are Faye (he had a crazy aunt by that name) and Helen or any name that is similar (which means I had to let go of Helena) because of an ex.

Our styles are pretty similar and H is pretty easy-going, but we'll see if that changes once a baby is actually on the way.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had to cross off Donovan, Deirdre, and Fiona
  • Natalie Ruth is gorgeous! DD is Natalie, and we are considering Ruth for a mn if we have another girl. I'm pretty lucky in that DH and I have similar tastes in names. He's only vetoed one boy name (Thomas). I did give him a big WTF when he suggested Jackson the other night. He's vetoed some of my favorite girl names for being too "different.": Margot, Bridget, Liesl, Greta
  • I've had to cross off Brigid, Eloise, Johanna, Aurelia, Ruth, Louise... They're all too "old lady" according to him.

He also made me eliminate Aoife because he didn't know the pronunciation. He is more Irish than I even am.....

And boys... Don't even get me started. Still don't have even one name we both like. Completely different tastes.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• I am with your DH on vetoing Dresden (that city was decimated by the Allies in WWII and is a symbol of both war's destruction of culture and cold war eastern Europe) and River...

DH vetoed Eugene (my dad's middle name and I think "Gene" is a super cute nickname) and Louis (Loo-eee).  Of his, I vetoed Roger and Serge, mainly because of personal associations I have with the names. 

We never discussed girl names seriously because we didn't discuss until after our anatomy scan.  But I vetoed Bronwyn, which is favorite.

• I also love Edmund.

DH's only veto was Violet for DD2. Understandable because DD1 is Rose, but I'm still kind of sad over that one. 

I was the main veto-er. I vetoed just about everything. I have no idea how we eventually were able to name two children. 

• My DH pulled the veto on Lucy. :( still makes me sad, even though I love my daughters name.

• Of your girls names I only like Natalie and Caroline. The boys names only Dominick. Lennon is pretty bad.
  • Natalie is the only name in contention.  I love Lennon.

• ELauren88 said:

My DH pulled the veto on Lucy. :( still makes me sad, even though I love my daughters name.

WHAT?! This is one of my favorite girl names. It's so sweet and simple, how can you dislike Lucy?

MH vetoed Harper for a girl. I know it's a name that is not well-liked on this board, but I think it's nice.

He also pretty much vetoed every single boy name I like: Cameron, Max, Xavier, Mateo... We are in serious trouble if we ever have a boy.

• Ayla is the only one that he absolutely hates. He thinks the other kids will call her alien...

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• mb314 said:

I am with your DH on vetoing Dresden (that city was decimated by the Allies in WWII and is a symbol of both war's destruction of culture and cold war eastern Europe) and River...

DH vetoed Eugene (my dad's middle name and I think "Gene" is a super cute nickname) and Louis (Loo-eee).  Of his, I vetoed Roger and Serge, mainly because of personal associations I have with the names. 

We never discussed girl names seriously because we didn't discuss until after our anatomy scan.  But I vetoed Bronwyn, which is favorite.

I love Bronwyn
  • I was saddest about losing Lydia, Noelle, and Maren (which I ended up making DD's middle name).
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Names I adore that DH just doesn't "get".. and his comments:

Emmett ("Emmitt Smith")
    Arthur ("Knights of the round table" "reading anteater cartoon")
    Benjamin ("boring")

Jane ("boring" "anonymous")
    Felicity ("too fussy")
    Catherine ("Sounds like catheter. way way!")
    Beatrice ("Bea is what you call someone with out saying the b-word")
    Greta ("german")

Thankfully he loves me favorites. I just find it funny how everyone has a totally different interpretation of names.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oh yeah, and Max. We both like it but he says "maxi pad" and "maximum" 

Real mature 
    8-|
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • He said no to Cassidy, Bridget, and Lydia.

We have pretty similar taste in boy names so it hasn't been an issue.

He will never suggest girl names he likes. Whenever I ask he says in a horrible southern accent Tallulah Jasmine.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We very rarely agree on names.. he has vetoed quite a few. These are the stand outs.

Girl:

Gwendolyn (my absolute favorite, kills me he says no)
    Isla
    Emmeline

Boy: only one...

Leo (my late grandfather's name that I love)

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Boys: Miles and Elias Noble - my favorite! :((

Girls: Emilia, Elisabeth, Dorothy, Fiona, the list could go on....

Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• DH vetoed Fiona, Octavia and Ophelia. I vetoed his Cecilia and Marisa. We debated between Vivienne, Serena and Elena. Vivienne won.
    BabyName Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"