November 2014 Moms
Options

Vent: Work Hostilities

I am a professor in a Department that has never had a maternity leave. Ever. (Yes it is 2014).
I work with mostly men and am facing a lot of hostility.
I just came in to work to finish my syllabus and try to work with others about transitioning my courses in November and I am already in my office with the door shut in tears.

Anyone else experiencing this?

How are you handling it?

TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
FET #1 December 2012, BFN
FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

Re: Vent: Work Hostilities

• Options
    WOW i'm so sorry you have to deal with that.  Completley awful and how lacking in the times your work place is.  While I'm not facing any hostility at work (even though our work force is about 85% men)  we do have a form of leave that can be taken you just have to have a ton of paperwork filled out by your doctor.  Hope you are able to get everything worked out

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awww man, that sucks.

I haven't had anything like that but I am very nervous about asking them to figure out a room for me to pump in.

• Options
    My boss has never dealt with a salaried employee taking maternity leave and I'm dealing with stupid stuff too. So frustrating. I'm so sorry.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That's awful! I'm so sorry that you're dealing with that. I thought I had it bad. We have a small office where everyone is "equal" but unfortunately there's some people who think that they're not and say well if she takes off for 2 hours to go to the doctors, I should be able to not come in to work for 2 days because I'm tired or stressed.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I am the second woman to go on maternity leave, the first in 35 years at my branch. Even discussing benefits and leave has been like pulling teeth. They have no idea how much anxiety this brings us. Hang in there, Mama!
  • Options
    Sorry love. (((Hugs))) I hate that this is added stress for you. Have you looked into your state laws? Does your HR have anything in place? I would make a copy of them and place it in every single one of those assholes' mailboxes/doors that are being hostile about it. If I was closer I would come kick every single one of them in the balls. 

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Options

My transitioning is going to be weird. They have already started slowly re-assigning responsibilities to the point where I'm just a little bored. First week of Sept my "temp" replacement comes in so I can train her ... their goal is to slowly transition me out of my role at service coordinator so towards the end I'm really only doing data entry, they think this will be easier and less stressful for me in the final weeks. I'm thankful for it but it's also a really weird feeling. Like being replaced. My boss has sworn up and down that it is NOT the case and there are no alternative motives, but I am just really surprised that I'm having to train someone on a job that usually takes a YEAR to fully learn, for the 3 months I'll be gone. Oh well. I keep reminding myself this is for mine AND my babies benefit and the thing I need to be focused on right now is birthing a healthy baby girl come November. :)

• Options
    HR is worthless. I faced hostility after having a miscarriage (because I took two days off) and I went to HR to inquire about processes. Essentially, they told me that since there is no code of conduct between faculty members, then I have no recourse.

I only have one more year before tenure, and I can't afford to rock the boat too much. After tenure, I have a job for life and I am not going to take sh*t like this anymore.

Thanks for the support ladies. I can't believe I am dealing with this in 2014.
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Options
    Ugh, so terrible. I just noticed you posted this after I posted a thread about work hostilities. I am sorry you have to go through this. I work in a female-dominated workplace and I hate to say it, but my treatment isn't much better. Most women that I work with either chose not to have kids or stayed home with them and got jobs later, so they are not very accommodating and I had a coworker who had to fight for breaks to pump. BOOOO. I guess, take heart in the fact that even though this is difficult, you are breaking them in, so that they know what to do the next time this happens. Keep asserting your rights! I know I always look to my coworker who fought for pumping breaks for guidance and am grateful that she didn't back down. Now we have a room where we can pump undisturbed thanks to her!
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"