February 2015 Moms
Options

Mini or reg. size crib?

When it's time to switch to a crib from a bassinet, what's the best choice - a mini or regular size crib?

Re: Mini or reg. size crib?

• Options
    I love my regular size, converting crib for DS but I think what's important is how long you plan on using the crib and what you have space for. We plan on using a crib until DS is to big or can climb out and he had his own room so a regular crib was perfect for us. It's all about what you need for your situation.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You will get the most for your money with a regular size crib.  If your baby is not a climber, they may possibly sleep in their crib past two years old.  It would be less than ideal for them to outgrow a mini crib but not be ready for a big bed just yet.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also tend to find regular size crib sheets are cheap and go on sale more often.

photo a1c2c501-51d6-4155-bc5d-e15072d2426d_zps1135e754.jpg 

**Siggy Challenge What You're Looking Forward to Most after Baby Arrives**

• Options
    I'm likely going to get a mini as the kid will have to share our room until we're ready to buy a new house or add an addition (our house is only 900 sq feet, 300 of which is our attic bedroom with sloped ceilings).

If you have a choice, then I'd go with a regular sized crib that can convert to a toddler bed. It costs a bit extra but is useful for much longer. Unless you get a specialty crib that's unavailable in your area, cribs don't seem to have much resale value in our area (I guess because the regulations continue to change). So they seem to be the best bargain.
  • Options
    As someone who used to rent out cribs to vacationers for a living, the mini cribs, though they do save space, aren't very big. If you, or hubby, are on the tall or big side of the spectrum, your baby will not be able to sleep in it past 18 months AT THE VERY MOST. Versus, if you were to get a regular size crib, your baby may very well fit into it past 2 years. The mini cribs aren't made as well either, because they are so much smaller, the quality of materials I discovered wasn't as good as a lot of the full size cribs. Finding mattresses, covers, sheets, and bumpers are more difficult, and they tend to be twice the money than full size.

Now, with all that said, let me share some of my crib knowledge with you ladies. The best brands I have found, over the years, are Graco, Cosco, and Delta. Now that's not to say anything amish made, or made by other high end companies aren't just as good, I'm mainly sticking with the most popular brand names known.

Graco tops the list because in all their years of making cribs, their recalls, though more consumer error, were more of a precaution than an actual saftey hazzard or problem. They use California compliant wood, steel, and varnish in all their cribs. And their wood cribs are all made out of genuine hardwood. Now you can buy genuine oak, teak, or even cherry wood cribs from them, but you'll be spending a pretty penny if you do.

Cosco/Safety 1st is a Disney owned, and partnered, brand. They come in close second on my list because in all the years they have been making cribs, only one recall was due to manufacture error, and it was the drop springs were wound too tight, causing the drop side to act more like a fixed side crib, before the drop sides were outlawed. They use hardwood and AAA grade steel in the making of their cribs, however, you cannot get any specialty wood cribs from them.

Delta comes third place on my list. They have had a few manufacturer recalls over the years, but with each of those recalls, they have made their cribs better and more sturdy. They used to use particle and press board in their cribs, however, now they have switched to all hardwood making their cribs safer and worth the money.

A lot of companies like storkcraft don't use California fumigated compliant wood, so their cribs have been soaked in chemicals like formaldehyde to keep them from splitting and cracking with continued used, which is dangerous to your health, but has been proven fatal to baby. Companies like storkcraft also cut corners, don't use at least A grade steel, and still use particle and press board in the making of their cribs. I believe that storkcraft alone holds the record for the most recalls of their products.

Just some things to think about when buying any new, and even used, cribs.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    CogDis said:
    I'm likely going to get a mini as the kid will have to share our room until we're ready to buy a new house or add an addition (our house is only 900 sq feet, 300 of which is our attic bedroom with sloped ceilings). If you have a choice, then I'd go with a regular sized crib that can convert to a toddler bed. It costs a bit extra but is useful for much longer. Unless you get a specialty crib that's unavailable in your area, cribs don't seem to have much resale value in our area (I guess because the regulations continue to change). So they seem to be the best bargain.

Amazon has really nice mattresses that fit in a pack and play. This is what we use in our bedroom for newborns. You might consider that setup over a mini crib. If I could do everything over, DD would have just had the pack and play when we were living in a 800 square foot condo. We've moved and have two full sized cribs for our 2u2 now, but we have a lot more space to spare at this point.
    Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Options
    Unless you have a special situation (ex. temporarily only have a very small space for LO), I don't think a mini-crib makes much sense. My LO is almost 20 months (where'd the time go?!) and we'll be keeping him in his convertible crib for a loooong time yet. Having him in a crib is a godsend when it comes to sleep training. My sister's LO is in a regular bed and he's constantly getting out of bed. You don't want to buy a mini-crib and then have to buy a regular crib on top of that. 
  • Options
    Regular sized converting crib will give you the most bang for your buck. Mini cribs are just another transitional piece of furniture that gets put in storage along with the bassinet and infant bouncer.
    Anniversary 

• Options
    I'd go with the regular crib, unless space is a major concern. I'm still amazed that my 20m son takes up as much room as he does in his crib.
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As someone who used to rent out cribs to vacationers for a living, the mini cribs, though they do save space, aren't very big. If you, or hubby, are on the tall or big side of the spectrum, your baby will not be able to sleep in it past 18 months AT THE VERY MOST. Versus, if you were to get a regular size crib, your baby may very well fit into it past 2 years. The mini cribs aren't made as well either, because they are so much smaller, the quality of materials I discovered wasn't as good as a lot of the full size cribs. Finding mattresses, covers, sheets, and bumpers are more difficult, and they tend to be twice the money than full size. Now, with all that said, let me share some of my crib knowledge with you ladies. The best brands I have found, over the years, are Graco, Cosco, and Delta. Now that's not to say anything amish made, or made by other high end companies aren't just as good, I'm mainly sticking with the most popular brand names known. Graco tops the list because in all their years of making cribs, their recalls, though more consumer error, were more of a precaution than an actual saftey hazzard or problem. They use California compliant wood, steel, and varnish in all their cribs. And their wood cribs are all made out of genuine hardwood. Now you can buy genuine oak, teak, or even cherry wood cribs from them, but you'll be spending a pretty penny if you do. Cosco/Safety 1st is a Disney owned, and partnered, brand. They come in close second on my list because in all the years they have been making cribs, only one recall was due to manufacture error, and it was the drop springs were wound too tight, causing the drop side to act more like a fixed side crib, before the drop sides were outlawed. They use hardwood and AAA grade steel in the making of their cribs, however, you cannot get any specialty wood cribs from them. Delta comes third place on my list. They have had a few manufacturer recalls over the years, but with each of those recalls, they have made their cribs better and more sturdy. They used to use particle and press board in their cribs, however, now they have switched to all hardwood making their cribs safer and worth the money. A lot of companies like storkcraft don't use California fumigated compliant wood, so their cribs have been soaked in chemicals like formaldehyde to keep them from splitting and cracking with continued used, which is dangerous to your health, but has been proven fatal to baby. Companies like storkcraft also cut corners, don't use at least A grade steel, and still use particle and press board in the making of their cribs. I believe that storkcraft alone holds the record for the most recalls of their products. Just some things to think about when buying any new, and even used, cribs.
    So I guess this means I'm buying a graco crib.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    We actually really liked our mini crib - we attached it to our king bed and used it like the arm's reach co-sleeper. We have a standard sized crib that DD is just now starting to sleep in at 13 months, but the mini crib worked well for us for that first year. The crib sheets for pack and plays fit our mini crib mattress perfectly and they weren't very expensive - definitely under $10.
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    As someone who used to rent out cribs to vacationers for a living, the mini cribs, though they do save space, aren't very big. If you, or hubby, are on the tall or big side of the spectrum, your baby will not be able to sleep in it past 18 months AT THE VERY MOST. Versus, if you were to get a regular size crib, your baby may very well fit into it past 2 years. The mini cribs aren't made as well either, because they are so much smaller, the quality of materials I discovered wasn't as good as a lot of the full size cribs. Finding mattresses, covers, sheets, and bumpers are more difficult, and they tend to be twice the money than full size. Now, with all that said, let me share some of my crib knowledge with you ladies. The best brands I have found, over the years, are Graco, Cosco, and Delta. Now that's not to say anything amish made, or made by other high end companies aren't just as good, I'm mainly sticking with the most popular brand names known. Graco tops the list because in all their years of making cribs, their recalls, though more consumer error, were more of a precaution than an actual saftey hazzard or problem. They use California compliant wood, steel, and varnish in all their cribs. And their wood cribs are all made out of genuine hardwood. Now you can buy genuine oak, teak, or even cherry wood cribs from them, but you'll be spending a pretty penny if you do. Cosco/Safety 1st is a Disney owned, and partnered, brand. They come in close second on my list because in all the years they have been making cribs, only one recall was due to manufacture error, and it was the drop springs were wound too tight, causing the drop side to act more like a fixed side crib, before the drop sides were outlawed. They use hardwood and AAA grade steel in the making of their cribs, however, you cannot get any specialty wood cribs from them. Delta comes third place on my list. They have had a few manufacturer recalls over the years, but with each of those recalls, they have made their cribs better and more sturdy. They used to use particle and press board in their cribs, however, now they have switched to all hardwood making their cribs safer and worth the money. A lot of companies like storkcraft don't use California fumigated compliant wood, so their cribs have been soaked in chemicals like formaldehyde to keep them from splitting and cracking with continued used, which is dangerous to your health, but has been proven fatal to baby. Companies like storkcraft also cut corners, don't use at least A grade steel, and still use particle and press board in the making of their cribs. I believe that storkcraft alone holds the record for the most recalls of their products. Just some things to think about when buying any new, and even used, cribs.
    So I guess this means I'm buying a graco crib.
    We have one from Ikea that is fantastic!  It will be on kid #3 now.  $89CAD... which is probably like $2.50 US???? ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Hubs and I were just discussing this! We've seen some nice mini cribs that do convert. & space will absolutely be a factor for us. Most of the comments I've read online have said to buy a 3" mattress for the mini just bc it's to hard without it. But I still go back to the pack-n-play because I know it will be nice to have one in the front room. Decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Lol @thegoodpotato‌ I was looking at ikea cribs and the cheapest I think was like 70 bucks.. so it probably was the same in canadian and american dollars.
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/7c/80/f27c808876dd02ae89989d3c796a8f30.jpgimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would go for the regular size if space is not an issue.

I got a Graco from Walmart in the US. It was around $120-150. It's great! The same one in Canada was almost $100 more.
  • Options
    We are going with a regular size.

I have had my heart set on the Jenny Lind Davinci crib in white since before I was pregnant. Solid wood construction and non toxic finish. And such cute details. I absolutely love it and can't believe it is only $200. Full size does not have to be expensive. You can also find awesome deals on Craigslist if you are open to used furniture. Just beware of drop side and your good. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @Ellteejay‌ I think it's the sniglar. I'd have to double check. :)

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"