February 2014 Moms

Hell, my day wasn't supposed to go like this either

I was upstairs doing laundry when DH comes to tell me I have to look at something. He sounded really strange so I was immediately concerned. Water was leaking from the ceiling of our brand new, only been lived in for 31 days house. It came from three different fixtures in.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, it's not the builder's fault. My BIL installed the drain hose from our washer to the wall drain. Our best guess is that he only put a small portion of the hose into the drain, instead of shoving it deep into the drain, so the washer's vibration was able to make it come out.

DH is upset with himself because it was his responsibility to double check that his brother did it correctly. So now we can see the seams in the sheet rock where the leak was, otherwise you'd never know. We put a call into our homeowner's insurance. I have no idea if the damage is more than our $2500 deductible. We probably would leave it if we knew that would be the only issue from the leak since it's not extremely noticeable. But, there's a lot of moisture up there, I'm sure it will take a long time to dry, and mold is a scary thing.

I've stayed surprisingly calm throughout, I just can't believe this happened. Plus, spending $2500 on this sucks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Re: Hell, my day wasn't supposed to go like this either

• Oh no! I'm sorry!
  • That really sucks! I'm sorry :( glad you're staying calm. We just noticed water damage to the floor of our spare bedroom and are pissed!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh no. :(/Is it possible to get someone to assess it before you decide what to do? I'm sorry, that's a crappy situation all the way around.

I'm wondering if it's like car insurance. Don't they have you get an estimate then you get to decide if you want insurance to pay or handle it on your own?

• The same thing happened to us when we first moved into our newly built home 4 yrs ago. I would definately call insurance and get some flood people to come out.  Ours didn't "look" bad, but was really wet in the ceiling. By you pr post, sounds like your laundry room is on the second floor too.  It ended up being 16,000 in damage since the had to replace drywall and flooring and stuff. We were very happy for our insurance.  Sorry, this happened to you :( I was absolutely in tears when we flooded our 4 day old house

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   
  • Oh no! So sorry that happened!
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • @annie0714‌ Yikes! That's a lot more than I was thinking. Where was your flooring damaged? The laundry room? The tile in the laundry room was wet and where it dripped into the kitchen but we put bowls under it right away. This is the only damage we can currently see. I'm not sure if you can see it in the second pic. imageimage

• They had to redo parts of flooring on both floors because it had run down between the walls and then under the hard wood on the first floor.  Ours looked a lot like yours at first.  However, the drying guys had these sensors they can put against the wall to tell how wet it is behind. I would call them ASAP.  They are 24 hrs and can start the drying process

• annie0714annie0714 member
    edited August 2014
    The wood didn't look damaged at first or even wet really, but began to warp over a few days.  This was with fans going to dry it

• @annie0714‌ We haven't called the drying guys yet. It's wet in between the first and second floors, can they even get anything in there to dry it? We have tile in the kitchen, no wood flooring.

• Part of our ceiling was ripped out to dry it and then replaced

• @adinashoshana‌ Was your deductible $1000? Do you know what the total cost was? Finally, did you have the emergency water drying people come out?

• Oh no, that sucks. We had some water damage this winter which ended up requiring all the floors in the house being replaced. I feel ya! Stay clam and try to have patience. But I would also want to kill my BIL
  • I'm so sorry!! that must be so frustrating because everything is so new and you're finally getting all settled in. I hope it's an easy, quick, and inexpensive fix!
  • Ugh oh no! I'm sorry this happened to you guys. I hope this gets worked out in the best way possible!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That sucks! We have had 3 water leaks in 9 months in our almost new house -- it's ridiculous.

Two years ago when we were renting in the UK, we had a tap explosion while we were out of town and the entire first floor was flooded. It took months for the letting company to get it sorted, all of our appliances shorted, and lots of our stuff was damaged/ruined. No fun at all.
  • 5 weeks?!? @adinashoshana‌ I hadn't thought much about a time line yet but I definitely wasn't expecting that kind of time!

• Thankfully you found it before the whole ceiling caved!!! Water damage sucks because water goes everywhere and most of the damage you can't see till you start opening the walls/floors up. I agree with PP about calling in experts in water damage and repair. Just think about the mold possibilities if it isn't resolved correctly.

I have always been afraid of this. I found humidity sensors that I mounted by the laundry machines and under all sinks in the house. They were $20 each at the time. I think I found them at lowes.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"