Pregnant after 35

Testing...ugh

So just wondering if anyone is not doing testing? I did not with my last. My OB only offered the Quad test and amnio. Which there was no way I was doing the amnio. The nurse practitioner in the office told me that she had seen the quad give false positives. So I did no testing with my last, just the ultrasound. Which she looked great on! So I left it at that, and felt good. I was 35 - 36 I have no idea if my Ob will offer any of these new tests or if I even want them if he does. He is pretty old school. I had not heard of them with my last who is now 21 months. Has anyone not been offered the new tests? Thank you in advance!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Testing...ugh

• I assumed that all AMA moms get at least asked if they are interested in genetic testing. No need to do it if you don't want to but it seems like standard op procedure for AMA to ask about that, like a doc checklist they tick off.

We did the quad screen last time and Harmony + NT scan this time.
  • Never tested with any of my 3 girls. This time around I am opting out as well. And I am 36. My first OB with this one said I could do the testing if the outcome would matter. I don't think my new OB asked. But to me the results wouldn't matter. I know some do it for peace of mind or to prepare themselves for something that is to come. But really, I am ok with just finding out when I give birth.  I am leaving it all in God's hands. 

p.s. I know some who had false results and they fretted the whole pregnancy and they ended up worrying for nothing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Never tested with any of my 3 girls. This time around I am opting out as well. And I am 36. My first OB with this one said I could do the testing if the outcome would matter. I don't think my new OB asked. But to me the results wouldn't matter. I know some do it for peace of mind or to prepare themselves for something that is to come. But really, I am ok with just finding out when I give birth.  I am leaving it all in God's hands. 

p.s. I know some who had false results and they fretted the whole pregnancy and they ended up worrying for nothing. 
    I have 3 girls too!! I did not even know that I had the Quad for my first 2 till I was pregnant with my 3rd and asked. Yes, that is want I am afraid of false results. I don't want to ruin my pregnancy with more worry. I do plenty anyway. Lol! Have you had a ultrasound this time to find out what you are having? I will be super excited for a girl or a boy! Sometimes I think it would be really weird to have a boy. Lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

• We had an u/s at 14 wks and me and the tech both think we saw a boy but she didn't want to say for sure. I go back Wednesday for confirmation. I would love a boy for hubs sake. But at least I know what to do with a girl. Lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We had an u/s at 14 wks and me and the tech both think we saw a boy but she didn't want to say for sure. I go back Wednesday for confirmation. I would love a boy for hubs sake. But at least I know what to do with a girl. Lol
    That is exciting!! Yes, I would love a boy for hubby! I know sometimes he feels soooo out numbered. Would love to know what you find out on Wednesday! I just meet someone yesterday that had 4 girls! We had a lot to talk about. Lol!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'll be sure to keep you posted :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have three girls too.  Can't wait @mandyreads to hear what you are having.  I'm hoping for a boy as this is my last for sure!  I feel exactly the same as I did for the others though so if you go by the "how are you feeling" test I'm having another girl!  

@BabyBliss I never had extra testing other than the NT scan and blood work.  I guess if any red flags were raised by those I would have explored further testing. I did IVF for my middle two daughters and my eggs were from my 36 year old self, which if plugged into their computer for odds, give better results than if they put my current age at gestation which was 38. I asked them to use my age at conception but they wouldn't.  Luckily everything on the ultrasound was great!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• JilliansMoma WooHoo someone else with 3 girls!! I was so sick with my last one that I thought it had to be a boy, because I never tossed my cookies with the other 2. Lol! I was surprised by how sick I was!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I did the basic testing with my daughter when I was 25, I think just because of all the unknowns of being a first time parent. This time, 11 or so years later I'm not concerned. I'm not even sure about finding out the gender. I don't want to be surprised by twins but that's about the limit of my concern. Twins would be great of course but one car seat doesn't get two babies home from the hospital, lol.
  • My first pregnancy (at 34/35) I had to go to MFM like every 3 weeks, testing, genetic counseling, the works! Found out I was having twins so was "double high risk" (with AMA).

This time around (35/36) my doctor doesn't seem concerned.  We confirmed it's a "singleton" (WHEW!) and he is pretty relaxed about all the testing.  He even said I'm at the "perfect age" to be having a baby (WHAAAAA?)  So I basically love him now!

I think a lot of it may be the practice / doctor you go to? 

• We opted for no testing last go round, until they found problems, then did chromosome check. This time, did blood test again.... just in case we needed to prepare :-) All is well, and we know they are girls...
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"