March 2015 Moms

United Healthcare and free Breast Pump

Hey Ladies, I am sure many of you have some sort of benefit through your insurance for a free or reduced price on a breast pump. I have UH and they cover a few through durable medical equipment coverage. They called me and told me about their "healthy pregnancy program" and that I can register with their vendors, and at 36w, they send you the pump you chose. I registered last week with Byram Health Care and chose the Medela Pump In Style Advance. It doesn't come with the fancy bag or anything... which is fine by me. I expected to see it in 28 weeks.

However, it showed up today... so YMMV.

Check it out!

imageimageimage

Re: United Healthcare and free Breast Pump

• Thanks for this - I'll be switching providers in January, and UH is the option available. Hopefully the program will still be open for me!

• Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea. I really appreciate this PSA!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Kaiser offers free pumps as well.  I got a Medela double electric with my first pregnancy and hope to get another this time around.  It's actually stems from the Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare).  So we really can say "THANKS OBAMA!" and mean it :-p
    For SuzyQ0525 and all M15 loss moms

image     image

• Do you know if Byram offers Hygiea or Ameda pumps or do they just have a contract with Medela?
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Great to know as I have UHC.  I need to go poke about on the site, where were you able to access the Healthy Baby stuff?
    photo 2eaeec32-4781-4bd4-a9e0-fe86f486b516.jpg

~~~~For SuzyQ and all our loss moms~~~~

Met: 02.2007 / Engaged: 11.21.2009 / Married: 07.09.2010

EDD: 03.02.2015 / Scheduled Delivery Date: 02.25.2015

• Kaiser offers free pumps as well.  I got a Medela double electric with my first pregnancy and hope to get another this time around.  It's actually stems from the Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare).  So we really can say "THANKS OBAMA!" and mean it :-p

Do you know what you have to do to get this through kaiser? I just switched to kaiser a few months ago so still learning how it all works.
  • I think that you usually get your pump 4-6 weeks AFTER delivery, and you obtain it from the Kaiser clinic or where ever you pick up your prescriptions from Kaiser.
    There should be more information in your baby club or whatever it is called.
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

• I would call your insurance company, regardless of the provider, and ask about your benefits.

imageimageimage
  • It all depends on your specific plan. I had UHC for DD and they would not let me order the pump until after she was born. My doctor had to fill out a form. This was also through Byram Healthcare and they had 3 different choices for my plan, including the PISA which I chose. It was not the same PISA as carried in stores, it didn't have the fancy bag but more importantly it didn't have a let down function.

It did the job but I had a retail PISA given to me by a friend and I liked that one better. My SIL said her insurance allowed her to pay extra to get a fancier retail version, I wish mine had that option. Here's hoping maybe they do now.

Bottom line, just like @tabitha722 said you have to call your specific insurance provider to find out all the details on when and what you can order, there is no set rule.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Just wanted to add OP, I'd be a little concerned about getting it so early, you may want to see if you can return it. The reason being is that Medela only provides service and repairs for one year after you get the pump. My PISA started acting wonky after about 10-11 months (I wore the hell out of that thing). If that happened to you you'd be out of warranty as getting it now will eat up 6 months during which it's getting no wear and tear.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I have Cigna and they offer this through my plan also. I enrolled in the healthy pregnancy healthy baby program and a nurse called me and gave me the number to call at 28 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you for posting this! This is my first pregnancy with UHC; I'll have to check out what's available on our plan.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • I have blue cross blue shield of NC and called today to ask about this. They said to call when we give birth and they overnight us a pump for free from a durable medical equipment provider but that they couldn't tell us what kind of pump it would be other than electric. I always have the Medela from my SIL to fall back on.
    Married 5/31/14 BFP 6/28/14 BabyFruit Ticker} photo imagejpg3.jpg
  • I have Humana. I need to call about this!
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • ollieinca said:

Kaiser offers free pumps as well.  I got a Medela double electric with my first pregnancy and hope to get another this time around.  It's actually stems from the Affordable Healthcare Act (aka Obamacare).  So we really can say "THANKS OBAMA!" and mean it :-p

Do you know what you have to do to get this through kaiser? I just switched to kaiser a few months ago so still learning how it all works.
    They actually had me ask my OB about it. I filled out a form in her office and picked up the pump there. That was early 2013, so the procedures may have changed. I plan to ask about it in 3rd trimester in case there's a wait.
    For SuzyQ0525 and all M15 loss moms

image     image

• I have Cigna and they offer this through my plan also. I enrolled in the healthy pregnancy healthy baby program and a nurse called me and gave me the number to call at 28 weeks.

I have Cigna too and joined that program. I had no idea they offered the pump though. Thanks for the info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"