February 2015 Moms

Herbal Teas

I'm currently 13 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I just had a medium Starbucks very berry hibiscus drink all the while not knowing I was supposed to avoid herbal teas, hibiscus being one of them. I'm freaking out. Am I okay? I'm scared that I could miscarry or deliver prematurely. I need answers!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• brroseb said:

I use stevia all the time :/ Had no idea. Now I am curious to what all is included in Herbal teas... Green tea?

Green tea is not an herbal tea :) green tea is totally fine in moderation. Things to watch for are caffeine content (maybe don't drink 10 cups) and also you might want to drink it several hours before or after your prenatal vitamin; some studies suggest it can interfere with your body's absorption of folic acid.
  • Um, what? Herbal teas? 

And I just googled stevia and it's on the list of FDA approved items that are safe for pregnancy.
  • Www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/stevia
    "Extracts of leaves from Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni have been used for many years in traditional treatment of diabetes in South America. Paraguay's rural and indigenous populations have used Stevia rebaudiana for the control of fertility."

Below is just talking about the processing of stevia for consumption.
    https://foodbabe.com/2013/04/25/stevia-good-or-bad/

There is also this article that talks about how stevia is safe.
    https://natural-fertility-info.com/does-stevia-cause-infertility.html

I personally choose not to use any artificial sweeteners, but each lady has to make their own choice. :)
    Anniversary 

• ayboaybo member
    I have been drinking a cup or non everyday.... I didn't see anything about tea. WTF? My baby is perfectly normal had my NT Tuesday. Hmmmm this is news to me and eceryone I know told me to drink hot tea for nausea Nd it helps.....
  • aybo said:

I have been drinking a cup or non everyday.... I didn't see anything about tea. WTF? My baby is perfectly normal had my NT Tuesday. Hmmmm this is news to me and eceryone I know told me to drink hot tea for nausea Nd it helps.....

Certain teas really help & certain ones contain herbs that can bring on contractions, or miscarriage. There aren't a lot of studies that have been done on the effects of herbal teas in pregnancy, so that's why a lot of doctors are wary of them. Peppermint, chamomile, and ginger teas are probably fine. Black & green teas in small amounts (if you're comfortable drinking caffeine) are fine...you just have to really watch out for hibiscus & a couple of others because they cause contractions or miscarriage. Again, moderation & all that. Not trying to scare anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"