3rd Trimester

I'm getting so impatient!

I am 38 weeks (first pregnancy). I haven't gone through the "nesting" stage, and the baby hasn't dropped. Last week my dr. told me I was 1cm dilated. Are there any other signs that could help me tell if he's coming soon?

Re: I'm getting so impatient!

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry, but not really.  Every one and every pregnancy is different.  I never nested.  Was tight as a clam (no dilation) until I went into labor.  Had a false alarm and lost my plug 4 days before actual labor.  The only reason I knew I was going into labor was my contractions were getting closer and stronger and the tub didn't sooth them.

You are almost to the end, it'll happen soon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I felt the same way with my first one in those last few weeks. I was uncomfortable and just ready to meet my baby already. The anticipation was killing me! But, the reality is, baby will come when he or she is ready. When you are really in labor, you will know. In the meantime, just stay busy. You are almost there!
  • I'm going slightly crazy and I'm only 1 day past my due date. No loss of mucous plug, bloody show, or anything else that would signal he's coming soon. Drinking red raspberry leaf tea, eating pineapple, taking Evening Primrose Oil, walking a lot, bouncing on exercise ball, doing it all!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There were so many losses in my BMB that I was more than happy to let the bean bake until he was done cooking.  My belly and baby didn't drop until my water broke.  Relax OP. 
  • DejaM98DejaM98 member
    edited August 2014
    I didn't ask how to start labor, I asked if there were any other ways to tell if the baby would be coming soon that I didn't already know about.
  • Im going to say there is no real sign. 4 weeks ago I was 2 cm dilated, 3 weeks ago 3.5 cm, and as of my 39 wk appointment Monday 5 cm with a very low baby. Even the doctor doesnt know how Im still pregnant, she literally said that. So, I feel you on the whole being impatient thing.. but just seems to be when baby is ready he will come. Sigh* I know Im ready..
  • Dialation checks at the OB mean nothing for when labor may start. Like @Britty2010 said, she's 5 cm and still not in labor! That's one of the more extreme cases (good luck lady!) but with DD I was 1 cm throughout and no contractions at all until 2 days before DD was born. They were off and on for 1.5 days and then finally went to the hospital when they were 3-5 min apart. On that Monday I was 1 cm and my LO was born first thing Thursday morning (right at 41 wks).

That being said, I'm just as impatient if not more this time around and I can't wait to meet my little man! I'm only 33 weeks and I'm so anxious to meet him!

• I'm 40 weeks 1 day. I have been feeling the same way. Last night I had a hard time sleeping, but the nights before, I slept like a rock. Today, I've been having what I thought at first were braxton hicks, but a little while ago, I had something that took my breath away. I am starting to think I'm going into labor slowly. The contractions may be irregular, I'm not sure yet, but at least it's a start! Hang in there!
  • Until you go into labor there is no real sign of baby coming. You can be dilated for weeks. You can lose your mucus plug over and over again. You can have irregular contractions and painful braxton hicks but until that water breaks or you're having steady contractions you won't know. 

Try and relax- you want that baby to stay in there for another 2 weeks. 

I also didn't really start to nest until right before my water broke and I started having contractions. Literally I "nested" for 2 hours. 
  • mbonmbon member
    I'm feeling the same way.  Had 10hrs of braxton hicks @ 35wks which they gave me med to stop contractions.  I thought for sure this baby was working on an early arrival.  I'm 37wks & haven't even fully dropped or started dilating yet.  Luckily I'm not physically uncomfortable, just getting antsy.  I'm not necessarily looking for baby to come right now, but now I'm feeling like baby will be late since by now w/ my 1st two I had started dilating.  But I know it's silly for me to even think that because I could go into labor today.  You just never know.  It's hard being patient, and like a lot of other ladies replied, a lot of potential indicators can just be a tease.  Hang in there :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"