School-Aged Children
Options

ahhhh Lunches....

My son is starting Kindergarten in 2 weeks well he has gone to school for speech therapy for 2 years now and it has only been a few minutes a few days a week and now it is time for him to go to school for a full day 5 days a week... well that is fine but... he is such a picky eater so I am freaking out about him not eating when he's at school... why is this so hard? does/did any of you mom have this anxiety?

Re: ahhhh Lunches....

• Options
    Yep. I just found a lunch he'd eat and sent the same thing every day. PB&J, carrot sticks and apple slices, pouch or sauce cup. Occasionally I'd throw in a few chips (literally 3) or a small cookie as a treat. He never dumped his trash (and until he eats better I'll encourage him not to), so I could always see what he did or didn't eat. Once or twice, he left his lunchbox in his classroom (different building than the cafeteria, so he couldn't go back for it), and he was stuck with hot lunch. His teacher said he usually tried everything and ate most, including things he wouldn't eat if I served them, so it gives me hope.
  • Options
    My DS ate the same lunch almost everyday for the entire year.  I was all concerned about making it interesting and different, but he really just wanted the same thing.  He has a lot of food allergies and couldn't buy lunch.  The only thing that surprised me about the lunch thing was that  most of the kids in his class bought lunch daily and were in line for 10-15 minutes to buy.  DS was very concerned that he was eating alone and of course then we thought he actually was just eating alone.  Whoops.  Once we explained it to him and he understood, we all relaxed a little.  It is so hard to send them off alone at this age :)
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah my son is totally picky too - luckily one of the things he does like is pizza and he'll eat it cold, so he's had slices of cold pizza for his lunch every single day since kindergarten (he's starting grade 2 next year). 

I wouldn't even worry too much about it being super healthy if you're short on things he'll eat - just make it something he'll eat, and worry about the healthy stuff at breakfast and supper.

2 children - DD born Dec 2004, DS born Jan 2007
    British born, emigrated to Canada 2006
  • Options
    Ditto ss+el at the top of the replies.  Just find a few things that he'll eat and rotate between them.  Makes it easier on you, and he probably won't care one bit. My kids and I pack lunch every day, and we pretty much eat the same thing over and over again all school year: sandwich, fruit, cut veggies, water.

The nice thing about packing for a picky eater is that by the time they get to lunch, they're HUNGRY, and they are more likely to eat whatever you've given them.  

Another word of advice: if you do a sandwich as the main course, try sending only a half sandwich at first.  New kindy kids aren't usually used to polishing off lunch in 25 minutes.  If you want him to eat his "sides" in order to get some fruit/veggies into him, send a smaller main course until he gets used to eating in the cafeteria with other kids all around him.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    My son (gluten free) usually gets fruit, a cheese stick, milk or juice box, yogurt and rolled up turkey. I've also given a peanut butter rice cake sandwich, carrots, grape tomatoes, crackers and peanut butter. Basically anything easy to eat that is relatively healthy too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, I have been on Pinterest a lot pinning lunch ideas. One of my boys is pretty easy but the other doesn't like any kind of sandwiches except grilled cheese and most of our usual at-home lunch options won't work since they all need to be heated. 
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited August 2014
    Fred seriously tell me you did/didn't make the star wars figures?! LOL. wowsa!

I'm pretty sure I ate the same thing more less for lunch my entire elementary school career... don't stress it too hard if you find something he'll eat!

macchiatto- they do make some sort of box now that has a little section w/ a lid that can keep stuff hot if you want to go there w/ hot food... seems like a lot to prep in the AM but I guess you could prob just make it ahead and nuke it  in the AM& stick it in the container...This is one though you have to preorder through kickstarter or whatever but maybe there are others out there too, I don't know.
    https://www.omielife.com/#index

• Options
    Totally impressive! And impressed at your dd's palate, my kids have refused most veggies for two years now :(
  • Options
    DS has a Sistema Lunch Cube (which we love). It's a container with one large side and two half sides. I put a sandwich, croissant, bagel, etc on the large side, a juice box or milk container on one of the half sides, and fill the second half with fruit or veggies and dip.

If I give DS too much food, he ends up leaving it behind. He's a chatterbox and always in a rush to get to recess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"