Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Looking for advice on what to expect from D&E

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their story of their D&E. I found out today that we have lost our little one at 6 weeks, 2 days. Because I had a fever today my OB has scheduled me for a D&E this upcoming Friday to prevent infection.  I was most shocked that while I will be heavily doped up (Adavan and Percocet) I will not be going under Anesthesia. I think that I am the most scared about being awake. Has anyone else gone through this?

Re: Looking for advice on what to expect from D&E

• Options
    So sorry for your loss

I recently had a D&C, my LO would have been around as far as you, a little less, though I should have been 11 weeks by the time I had the d&c. I was put under though. The wait was hard (I had to be at the hospital 2 hours early, then the surgery was an hour late), getting on the table was probably the hardest part, but they quickly gave me something to help me relax before putting me under.

since I was put under though,  I can only tell you about recovery really. I had mild cramping and back pain off and on for about a week. I started spotting around day 4 post d&c and then bleeding day 6-14 post d&c.  It was not super heavy bleeding, it was similar to a period.

I was told no sex, tampons etc for 3 weeks after.

Is there a reason your OB is not having you put under? I don't know much about either of those drugs, but I think/hope you would likely be very drowsy and not really aware during the procedure.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Options
    Thank you so much for sharing, I'm sorry that you had to endure your experience. The medicine I described is a very strong anti-anxiety and the other is a pain killer. I'm not sure why they don't  do full anesthesia. It's at Duke Hospital so it's a pretty reputable place. I think I will call tomorrow though and ask why that isn't done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My RE (who is of the older generation) prefers, nay, insists on general anesthesia, but my sister the OB/GYN (younger doctor) says the current trend is away from the use of general due to lower potential risks, as there are inherent risks with general. Personally, I am glad my doctor insists on general. That being said, it is apparently becoming more common to skip the general, especially among younger doctors.

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• Options

I had a D&E last Thursday and was just sedated (totally out but not general anesthesia, I don't remember a thing).  Recovery was pretty easy, very little bleeding. I got a Percocet in the recovery room (which was fab) and then Advil 600 for home.    My doctor did prescribe a medicine to take afterwards to cause the uterus to contract.  That did cause a few painful cramps but it was bearable. 

GL with your procedure and I'm sorry for your loss.

• Options
    so sorry for your loss. I had a d&c about two weeks ago. I honestly could not imagine going thru that while being awake. I get the risk are lower and thats always a good thing. I was terrified about going under, but now that its over im glad i did. All i remember is being given oxygen and being told to inhale. Then I was waking up. it was so quick and painless i wish i didnt have to go thru taking the cytotec. That was wayyyy worse than the D&C. Recovery was not painful at all. Bed rest for two days for me which is easy because all you want to do is be in your bed and cry during these times anyways. I worried ALOT before my d&c so try not to do the same. It really isnt bad at all. Best of luck to you.

~TTC #1 Since 3/2014
    ~BFP #1 6/2014 
    EDD 2/11/15
    ~MMC 7/31/14 @12weeks ~D&C /2/2014  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"