School-Aged Children

How do I get my kindergartener to eat more breakfast?

Just started kindergarten today and DS did well for the first couple hours and then sounds like he crashed the last hour or so before lunch - didn't want to participate and was just all around upset. We've had two years of preschool already, one in the morning and last year in the afternoon. He doesn't have a big appetite in the morning and I have been worried about it since we moved back to mornings for kindergarten. I'm almost certain that's why he had a bad last hour this morning. I know he didn't eat enough for breakfast even though I told him that was it until his snack at school. And then he barely touched his snack at school. Any thoughts or ideas on what has worked for you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do I get my kindergartener to eat more breakfast?

• Eh, I'm not sure I'd draw too many conclusions from the very first day.  It's possible he crashed because he was hungry... but it's also possible he was just overwhelmed by all the new experiences (even though he has preschool behind him, it's still a lot of new stuff.)  It's possible that if you SAH in the summer, he's just overwhelmed by the transition back into a more structured routine.  Not sure how it works in your state, but where I live, he would be one of the youngest in the class.

Even if it is 100% related to him not eating well, I suspect that if you don't push him or make a big deal about it, he'll naturally begin to eat more in the morning.

My son was a poky, distracted eater when he was small, and I worried about how this would play out in K.  When he was in preschool, it would sometimes take him an hour to pick his way through a bagel or a bowl of cereal at breakfast.  One thing that helped a lot was turning off the TV. But the problem kind of sorted itself out as he got used to being in school all day. He was just hungrier at mealtimes because he wasn't snacking off and on all day.  He began to be a better eater in general around that time.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I agree with @neverblushed.  DS hasn't been eating much for breakfast since starting kindergarten last week.  He has been so tired, and it's hard to get him going in the morning.  I am just trying to have his favorites on hand.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree o give it some time.  Things will fall into a place.  Kindy can be a huge adjustment.  And yes keep TV and electronics off.  In our house the, TV dosn't get turned on at all in the morning.   
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"