October 2014 Moms

Totally got side eyed at the Dr's office today

I had to go to my Dr's office today to re-do my 1 hr glucose test because the lab either lost my sample or dropped it and it broke. There is a lab at my Dr's office who does the lab draw and then sends it out. So I was there with my two year old and there were tons of new parents there today for their post partum appts. Several of them side eyed me because my son took two "toys" with him today. A flashlight and a two way radio. He pretends the flashlight is a spy glass like he is a pirate and he pretends the two way radio is a cell phone. It was so funny to me to see all these new parents side eyeing me. For stms who have been through the toddler stage I'm sure you can relate to the toddler randomness. For ftms, keep this in mind for your future. :)

Re: Totally got side eyed at the Dr's office today

• DD talks into the remote control to our sleep number bed like it is a phone. I think the flashlight/spy glass is very cute and smart. Creative play is important. I think your DS sounds pretty smart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Why in the world would they side eye you! That's goofy! Way to be imaginative kid! (:

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, I don't get the side eyes, either.  Are kids not supposed to bring toys with them to boring places, or are they not supposed to play with them in any way other than their design use?  Yeah, those fools should be glad there was a toddler there playing with toys and not pitching a fit.

My DD uses everything like it's a phone lately.
  • Why would you side eye that?! He sounds completely adorable!
  • Those both seem like reasonable toys to me. Add me to the bunch who don't understand why you were side-eyed. 
    :-?
  • My kids carry around all sorts of crazy stuff. It cracks me up!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This sounds a lot like my DS. ;)
    imageimage
  • Add me to the group who doesn't understand the side eyes. DS almost always brings something random to DC in the mornings and it's easier to let him have it than deal with a tantrum. His favorite thing is a bottle of Coke almost as big as him! He always gives it to me willingly as soon as we get there though - he just needs something to hold in the car.

• Wow, I can't believe you were getting the side-eye for that!  Those seem like perfectly normal toys to bring in.  I'm just happy when DS is content and playing, not having a tantrum.  He was carrying around a TP roll the other day and pretending it was a periscope   :)

image              image
  • My son brought a light switch and outlet to the mall once as toys.  Oh the joys of nearly constant home renovations, every possible thing becomes a toy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Are you sure? I'm a FTM and would never give a second thought to a child playing with toys they brought to a waiting room. In fact, I'd think good on you for having the foresight to bring toys for distractions in that situation. Maybe if you had brought a large bag of thousands of legos and emptied them onto the floor - than i might side eye LOL!

• My DS's thing lately is to bring his spiderman ring with him, point it at people, and go "Psssssssssssss" like he's shooting a web at them.  

I wonder what kind of looks we'd get! 
    /:)
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • raynes said:
    My son brought a light switch and outlet to the mall once as toys.  Oh the joys of nearly constant home renovations, every possible thing becomes a toy.
    This made me LOL. I work in a hardware store and kids always ask their parents to buy them the most random things.
  • LOL!  Yes, that sounds like my toddler, too!  I definitely know what you mean- like people who haven't had a toddler have a hard time understanding the things that they carry around or do.  Our son still is in the phase where his shoes aren't always on the right feet.  It doesn't bother him and he likes to put them on himself.  I've gotten a lot of comments about it- I usually joke back, but it doesn't go unnoticed! 

I definitely think you would have gotten the true side eye had your son not had anything to play with and was being disruptive (I've given that one a few times!). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LOL.  I love this.  My son has taken the dog leash into many places as his "toy".  I get side-eyed all the time too and always from the newbie parents.  All I think is "just you wait..."

;

• I know they were definitely side eyeing his "toys" because we were sitting against a wall off to the side and they kept staring with a confused/disturbed look on their face. I think it's hilarious. Imagine what they would have done if he would have been carrying around his plastic halloween pumpkin and the s hook to pick up any "treasure" he finds. They were new parents and probably couldn't figure out why he had those things and why I would let him have them. He was sitting there silent, so they should have been happy and he was in his stroller so he wasn't running around getting Into things.
  • SusieBW said:
    Yeah, I don't get the side eyes, either.  Are kids not supposed to bring toys with them to boring places, or are they not supposed to play with them in any way other than their design use?  Yeah, those fools should be glad there was a toddler there playing with toys and not pitching a fit.

My DD uses everything like it's a phone lately.
    No, kids are supposed to sit silently and politely while the "adults" talk. Duh! 
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Those people are ridiculous. I'm actually astonished by the number of people I know with small kids that go places that are going to be kid boring and bring NOTHING for them to do. Whatever keeps them happy!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

• These kids sound awesome & imaginative. I bet they're going to be very cool adults. The people side eyeing were probably confused because your kid wasn't playing with an electronic handheld game or something. I like to see children appreciating the simple stuff.
  • OMG my daughter use to have this pink wooden block that she swore was a cell phone, dolphin, car, remote, dog, cat smh god she loved that thing lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimageimageimage imageimage
  • A little girl in one of my classes used to carry around a breast pad. She was a brand new big sister. I just laughed and figured whatever made her happy lol.
        Super Hero 8/12/11     Baby Girl EDD 10/16/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"