Natural Birth

How are you calculating your due date?

That probably sounds like a weird question, but I just recently learned from a midwife that there are several different methods for calculating your due date. Having a due date you are comfortable with is so much more important for a natural birth in order to avoid getting induced. So from what I gather, most non traditional methods, such as Wood's, takes into account any cycle days shorter or longer than 28 (+1 for me) and adds days for first babies. 

I am FTM at 14 weeks. LMP 5/1/14. Cycles are 29 days. Ovulation on CD 16. 
Based on the 40 weeks (280 days) standard EDD is 2-5-15
Based on Naegele's rule, my EDD is 2-8-15.
Based on Wood's method "Nicol's Rule", my EDD is 2-16-15.

I am asking because I find it interesting that I could give birth 2-16-15 and be considered 11 days late for an OB (who likely would have pushed induction at the 41 week mark), but perfectly on time for another calculation method. What are your thoughts? Anyone using one of the other methods? 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How are you calculating your due date?

• I was charting so we went by my ovulation date, confirmed by a clear temperature shift at CD 21.  Since LMP date assumes CD 14 as an ovulation date, that gave me an extra week.  Both my babies were born at 40w3d (adjusted for charting), so it can make a difference, particularly at the end, but also with things like measurements.  I measured small with both babies, particularly with my first, I was always 2 weeks behind, had we gone with LMP date it would have made it appear DD was measuring 3 weeks behind which is when my MW said they start to take a closer look into what is going on.  

Does your provider recommend induction at 41w?  

I think you will have trouble finding someone willing to use anything other than the standard EDD calculations.  However, the ACOG does not consider a pregnancy post-date until 42w, if everything looked good I would have no problem going to 42w.  
  • Honestly, my midwife used the early ultrasounds as a calculation (and my ovulations date/last known period). It's easier to determine gestational age earlier on with an ultrasound since there is a bigger difference for the fetus between 8 and 9 weeks versus 20 and 21 weeks. Did you get an early ultrasound (i.e. before 12 weeks)? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I knew I ovulated later than CD 14 so they sent me for a dating ultrasound - which happen to confirm my ovulation date. They use the due date based off of that rather than my LMP.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    My due date with all of my pregnancies was calculated based on when I ovulated. I charted with all of them, and their due dates were spot on with the dating u/s.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• With my kids I went by ovulation date.

As a surrogate I use the transfer date + 5 days (so the date of the egg retrieval).

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • aetgaetg member
    I used that chart and I got Feb 3rd, 7th, or 10th.

My midwife wrote down the 11th and when i mentioned the difference she said oh we get to see you sometime in Feb.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know when I ovulated so I just gave my doctor a date 14 days before that for my LMP and my due date was based off that.  In reality it's only two days off of where it should be (March 20th based on ovulation and March 18th based on LMP) but I figured two days can mean a lot in the end, even with my NB friendly doctor.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• The OB I was going to (now switched to midwives) induces at 41 weeks, or if you want an induction when she is on call, or if the baby looks large. I know the standard is not before 42 weeks, but most people I know who were induced were well before that mark. My EDD of 2-5-15assumed I ovulated on CD 14 and have 28 day cycles. But I have temped for a long time and know I ovulated on CD16 and have 29-30 days cycles. I told the OB but they didn't care and kept my EDD at 2-5-15. Of course, at the 6 week scan the baby measured 4 days small... I was pretty irritated by how dismissive they were. 

Now that I have read more about it, it seems Wood's method is proven to be the most accurate. It is usually within 3-5 days. While the 40 weeks method is usually off by a week or more. Reading some of the responses here, it seems that most babies were born closer to the Wood's EDD than the traditional EDD. Very interesting! I am going to talk to my midwife and agree on a date during my next visit, I am thinking sometime around Valentine's day considering my ovulation date, this is my first baby, and I have slightly longer than average cycles. Thanks, everyone!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've been around and around on this one!  My early u/s OB moved my due date a full week earlier, which sort of matched my charting (short cycles and early ovulation). He said he didn't change a due date unless he saw a full week's worth of difference between the LMP estimate and the u/s.

With my first transfer (due to a move), the new office totally disregarded the u/s data, which I thought was strange... like the data didn't come from their office, so it couldn't be trusted.

Strange #1) they said they didn't change a due date unless there was at least a week's difference. I suggested they consult a calendar to see that it was, in fact, a full week's difference. After that, I think they probably wrote "difficult patient" in my file.

Strange #2) They wanted to schedule my RCS before my due date so I wouldn't go into labor (totally normal for RCS scheduling). So wouldn't they want to take into account the earlier due date?!?

Strange #3) I wasn't even sure why I cared, since I wanted the extra week for LO to cook before being evicted. But I hated feeling like I had something tangible to add that was being ignored. No one likes being ignored when it comes to their own health.

All that is beside the point, because my new OB (at 37w) said he will allow me to go 7-10 days past my due date to try for a VTOL (which he easily accepted as the dating u/s date over the LMP date).  So after all the drama, I pretty much have the exact same deadline for this sweet thing to vacate her spot before I need an induction/RCS. :)

Since the OP was more speaking to charting/temping...I think charting/temping alone is not as clear-cut for an OB to use. (Not that it should be that way.... just that it seems to be more anecdotal than quantitative.) Perhaps a MW would be more willing to incorporate that into a due date calculation.

GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG.... I just saw how long that response was. Sorry ladies.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, and I think sitting here thinking about being pregnant is a lot more interesting than, oh, just about anything else going on right now. I will try to be a little more concise. :)
  • I went by charting/temping, which was confirmed at both my 6 and 8 week ultrasounds.  DD was born 4 days before her due date.  I looked at the Woods method, and she was a full 2 weeks early according to that.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Based on the standard 40 weeks calculation, my EDD was 12.10.2014.  I had been tracking and temping and new I ovulated on CD16 instead of CD14.  Sure enough, when we went for the 8 week dating ultrasound, LO was measuring 2 days behind (but not enough to change the official due date).

Honestly, regardless of the method, all due dates are just estimated.  At 22 weeks, my LO is now measuring 3 days ahead.  So it all depends on your body and your baby as to when your LO actually comes.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Neat! I hope the woods is close to right on. Based on LMP my EDD would be 9/12. Based on charting, 9/18. Based on the early ultrasound they did, 9/19. Since Imwas charting, I'm quite pleased with a 9/19 EDD. I went to a full 42 weeks before my induction last time. My mom was really late with all of hers, and I have a feeling I will be too. So, Id love if it happened before the 42 week mark.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Before, I was calculating it based on approx. last menstrual period. Now I'm going by the ultrasound measurements.
    imageimage
  • I've been thinking and wondering about this a lot. I ovulated later than day 14, and told my OB that. However at the 8 week appointment they did the early ultrasound and confirmed a due date of 8/11/2014. And all subsequent ultrasounds/measurements haven't changed that. Modified Naegele's gives me tomorrow as a due date, and that's my birthday, and the day that a lot of people around me seem convinced my baby will arrive :) I wouldn't mind at all! But if Woods' rule is the more accurate, that's ten days from tomorrow and I know my OB will induce before then. :( Oh goodness, the waiting is getting to me!!!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• @FrodaBaggins - maybe your son will arrive today! Good luck! :) 

Something that irritates me is that 1st trimester ultrasounds are accurate within 3-5 days. 5 days is a long time when you are talking about EDD and possible induction. I know doctors want the best outcome for the baby and to minimize risk of stillbirth, but I just don't really trust ultrasound dates other than to confirm an approximate date. 

I have 3 more weeks until my next appointment but I am going to ask what the midwives think is a good guess date just for telling other people and for deciding when intervention is necessary. I am guessing they will say to add a week to my current EDD and we will adjust according to how the baby measures and my signs of labor as the time gets closer. One of my midwives suggested just having a "due month" so that relatives and friends don't get all concerned when you go past it like most women do. Her first was 13 days "late" and well meaning people were just plain nosy about it like something was wrong. So we may just start saying "February" when asked the due date. :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @jennypolkadots that sounds like a good plan. I like the due month idea. Also I like this article:

"Due dates set the stage for the unpredictable nature of parenting.  Labor is only the beginning.  There are so many things you don’t really have any control over.  When those things come up, sometimes the best way of dealing with them is to just let it be. You don’t always have to do anything when things aren’t going exactly as expected.  It’s not going to be the cruise you planned on anyway. It’s going to be a different trip altogether.  Just sit back and wait for things to happen in their own good time.  It’s not about the schedule.  It’s not about the destination.  It’s about the journey."
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Thanks @frodabaggins that is a great article/quote!

One reason we left my OB for midwives is because she was pretty serious about due dates. She induces after 41 weeks. Well, I already am nearly a week behind by cycles/ovulation date/ultrasound measurements. Since I am planning a natural birth I want the best chance of labor starting up on its own.

I learned Monday just how little due dates matter. My dear friend gave birth at 38 weeks and she was so surprised and in denial she was in labor lol but he is out and absolutely perfect, albeit tiny. Due dates and birth plans are great, but nature does what it wants. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"