Babies: 3 - 6 Months

4 month sleep regression??

The last few nights our daughter has started waking up around 430am crying and has a hard time going back to sleep. We change her diaper & rock her but when we put her back in the crib, she wakes right up & we're up for 2 hours trying to get her back to sleep. Sometimes she'll eat & other times she won't. We started putting her in a woombie a few weeks ago and she was sleeping 9-10 hours through the night. Now she is down to 7 hour stretches, which I know isn't bad. When she wakes she is so restless and unhappy. I wondered if she was possibly teething because during the day she chews on her hands and any toy she can fit in her mouth, although she doesn't appear to be in pain. She doesn't like my husband holding her anymore and I've started moving her from 3 oz to 3.5-4 oz during her feedings. I don't know what is going on with her. Teething? Growth spurt? Is it the start of the sleep regression? She is just about 3.5 months, but was 2 weeks late...don't know if she could truly be considered 4 months old for the purposes of the sleep regression. She's a very active baby & moves around a lot. This has made swaddling, etc difficult because she was constantly breaking out of it, which is why we tried the woombie. 

I go back to work next week and get up at 5am, so we are trying to figure out what this is so we can start to figure out a plan to help her. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 4 month sleep regression??

• flclflcl member
    I'm not sure if it's the 4MW as your baby still seems like she's sleeping REALLY well.  My guy was a week late and around 3.5 months, he had 2 or 3 days of choppy sleep (otherwise, he slept from 6:30-6:30 with 1 wakeup) and I kept hoping that that was the 4MW, thinking that wasn't too bad.  When LO turned 4 months, it really hit.  It was a drastic difference in his sleep.  It started with 3-4 wake ups (really awake, took a long time to put down) to waking up every hour-every 45 mins.  It was really bad for 2 weeks (but his sleep isn't back to where it was before).  Maximizing sleep for everyone in the house is important during this time.  For us, that meant rocking, nursing LO to sleep and cosleeping when needed (on top of the consistent bed time routine, white noise machine, black out curtains, magic sleep suit, etc).  If she's still sleeping 7 hour stretches, enjoy that time and consider yourself lucky.  GL.  
  • What time do you want her to wake up? My LO gets up between 5 and 5:30, which is when DH gets up. Then we are up for the day. He sometimes will take his first nap after he eats and gets dressed, but not always. Sometimes he doesn't go back to sleep until he's at his grandparents' house (our daycare) and has had his second bottle of the day. We use early mornings as bonding time before his 2 yo sister gets up at 6:45-7:00 on the days he doesn't go back to sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • She was sleeping from 930-630. 630-ish is ideal because my husband can feed her, get her back down & then get ready for work himself. I leave the house by 645 & the nanny is going to come at 745. We do not know what is going on with her. She is so restless at night. A friend watched her this morning & told me her legs were really restless & she had a hard time getting her to calm down. We experience the same thing at night. The last 2 nights we just had the woombie around her legs & she was up at 130, 430, & 530. We are at a loss. She just seems so uncomfortable. I was going to try a sleep sack tonight, but I feel we need something to hold down her arms & legs. I know they make the sleep sacks with an arm wrap, but I don't have that one. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"