Pregnant after 35

Repost - Love OB, but not her staff - WWYD

So, I posted this to the wrong board. (Pregnancy brain???) But I'd appreciate your input. I tried to post it here but it needs validation because it looks like spam???? I don't know. Sorry if it goes up multiple times.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

Re: Repost - Love OB, but not her staff - WWYD

• Oh forget it. Apparently I forgot how to use the intrawebs, post correctly, cut & paste, etc. Speaking of incompetence......

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• HERE'S THE ORIGINAL!!! Hooray!

This is my 2nd child. I love my OB, but wonder if she is worth the headache of dealing with her assistant. I live in the middle of nowhere, so it is hard to find a doctor you like, and trust, who delivers at a decent hospital, and all are within a reasonable drive.

With DS#1, I found an OB I loved, but had no faith in her medical assistant at all. The MA ordered a lab wrong, repeatedly, resulting in 4 blood draws on 4 different trips. She gave me the wrong instructions for my glucose tolerance test. She forgot to schedule my 20-week ultrasound. She didn't pass on messages to the doctor about complications when I called. I also work in healthcare, so I recognized that there were issues and talked to the doc about her MA. I also knew how to work around the 'system' and still got my ultrasound scheduled, still did my glucose test correctly, still went to the the hospital for the complications (even though the MA wasn't even worried enough to notify the OB). It was frustrating, but I liked my OB enough to deal with it.

Fastforward 18ish months. I went to my first prenatal visit on Friday morning and asked for meds for my horrible, horrible hyperemesis gravidarum. I mean, we're talking weight loss, can't keep down fluids, borderline needing an IV. Less than an hour after I left, the pharmacy called and said there were insurance issues with the med that the doctor ordered. I immediately called the OB's office. Of course, I was stuck leaving a message for the MA. Now it is Tuesday afternoon and I still haven't received a return call. I called again today and was stuck leaving a message again.

So - Would you try to find a new OB, even though the issue is with her assistant? Or would you stick it out?

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Loading the player...
  • It's a tough call.  IMHO, a bad employee, is a reflection on the boss.  Why hasn't your doc changed the assistant yet in spite of some big blunders?  Maybe it's because you live in the middle of no-where and the doc doesn't have many options either?

Have you considered looking around to see who else is available before committing to leaving your current doc?  Maybe even going in for one appt?

• I agree w/ Neon noon....it's been this long, I guess maybe the doc (If she's really that good) doesn't have a good choice of staff for her practice.

I'd definitely try to level with the doctor - mine gave me his cell phone for texting in emergencies/questions (actually found a pediatrician who did the same!)

Just tell the doctor that you don't want to leave her but you feel there's a barrier of incompetence between you and she (you don't have to use those words) and that it would really help to have a direct line of communication to her.  Even an email may help, at least you would know your concerns were getting through...

• I should specify that although I live in the middle of nowhere, I'm driving about 20 minutes to some suburbs of a bigger area to see this doctor. Changing doctors would require either a longer drive further into the city, or seeing someone 5 minutes away who delivers at a not-so-great hospital (which I'm not willing to do for AMA). I have no idea why this doctor keeps this MA around. The first time, I justified it by saying that maybe the doc knows something I don't know. Is the MA brand new? Is she going through some personal issues? I don't know. But whatever it was, I expected it to be fixed by now and it wasn't.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Maybe this woman is a family member or has personal issues, but that shouldn't affect your care (I know that's why you're asking for advice!)

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what to expect and also probably a better clue as to what's going on than the MA, but it would make me nuts to have to double check everything and follow up constantly and do excess work myself when that's HER JOB!!!

I feel your pain I had the opposite, a great caring staff/nurses but a jackass of a doctor.  This pregnancy, I have to find a new one (he failed to diagnose preeclampsia or visit me at the hospital until 2 days after the birth!)

but finding a new doc is super scary...

• Ugh.  I'd be inclined to stick it out because the most important things will be handled by your doctor.  Definitely a tough call, but it sounds like you could end up with a different set of headaches if you switch.  In the case of the meds, could your pharmacy call in your behalf?  Sometimes they are able to make things happen faster- depending on the exact issue. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • WARNING - LOSS MENTIONED

I scheduled an appointment with a new OB on Friday. They were very concerned that I am AMA, can't stop vomiting, and have uncertain dates due to conceiving first cycle after a loss. They were also concerned that my only visit thus far was a nurse visit only and that I couldn't get in with the doc for another 2 weeks.

I'm keeping my appt with the original OB to make sure I like the new doc.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• Good luck on Friday.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.
  • I feel ya! I liked my 1st OB but had a horrible, HORRIBLE experience with the hospital she is affiliated with when I called the Angel Hotline (a hotline for expecting moms and any concerns they have). Was even yelled at by the Nurse on duty. So I left the clinic and found another Dr. I am not sure how I feel about the new Dr as I have seen him a total of 4 mins the day of my last appt. But I believe that was because my appt got pushed around so I could have  an u/s worked in. 
    I feel that you should do what you think is right. I agree 100% with what NeonNoon said earlier. 
    Good luck and keep us posted.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"