Pregnant after 35

Books for FTMs? (answered - THANKS!)

Lady2010Lady2010 member
edited August 2014 in Pregnant after 35
Hi Ladies - 

I am starting to think about what happens once our LO arrives.  HOW do we take care of and raise him/her?  We have been so focused on the getting pregnant part that now that I am in my 2nd tri I am starting to wonder - ok, now what about once he/she arrives?

Books I have seen that I would love feedback on - or any others you found useful for that matter are: 

What to Expect The First Year
Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year
Happiest Baby on the Block
The New Contented Little Baby Book
Bringing up Bebe

Any thoughts on if they are helpful/informative, etc - or any others - are greatly appreciated.  Many thanks! (and yes, I realize at 16 weeks this is probably premature but I am extremely Type A - other than not wanting to know the gender of our baby!)
***signature/ticker warning***
Me:37 DH:39
TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Books for FTMs? (answered - THANKS!)

• Hi :)  FTM here too.  I'm almost done reading Happiest Baby on the Block.  I loved it and am getting DH to read parts, but as I haven't had any children, can't comment on how useful.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago on the Attachment Parenting board on a similar subject.  I got a few responses that you might find useful:

I'm discovering that there are many parenting styles (and opinions about them, for that matter) and that it is useful to decide what style you're going to pursue based on your priorities.
  • I didn't use any of those. Honestly, I found the first year pretty self-explanatory. It was after she developed some independence that I needed ideas! I did use Baby 411 a lot. Both to look things up and to reassure her over-protective Daddy that I knew what I was talking about!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would agree that for the first year you basically need to just know how to keep them alive. What to expect: the 1st year is a pretty goos basic book.

You don't need to worry about having a 'parenting style' till they actually start developing a personality in year 2.
    If you have a library nearby I would say go get books there before investing in any of them...

Also keep in mind that you don't need to commit to any one parenting style or define yourself in any way. The way you parent will develop with your child's personality over time.

Good luck!
  • Happiest baby on the block, I didn't read the book, but I saw the DVD... and I have to admit it saved my sanity with DD.

Baby bargains was a great book.  It didn't tell you what the best baby gear was, but it did rate it in a way that was helpful for me to decide what I wanted and gave pro/con/cost kind of information.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Thanks Ladies!  I think maybe from what you are saying I am getting ahead of myself :)

I do have Baby Bargains - my best friend got it for me when I told her I was pregnant - and that has been a great resource in addition to CR for reviews / ratings.  

I guess I am just nervous since it is our first and DH is starting to worry about how we will take care of the baby - his sister has a 24 hour baby nurse - which I have nothing against, but don't want to have.  I understand the value in having someone who knows how to care for a newborn and teach you but I would rather it be us figuring it out.  Just a personal preference - neither way is better.  

Appreciate the advice!
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You will do great!! Even though I've been around babies alot I'm still going to be nervous. When I started to nanny a 4 week old there was a baby nurse there from day 1 until he was 6 weeks 24/7! I can't even imagine not taking care of my own baby. Don't get me wrong I would love some help but that seemed excessive lol.

Plus you have all of us to ask questions :)

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• The good thing about babies is they start out with very small needs and the needs change pretty gradually giving you time to learn them. It's surprising how quickly you fall into a routine.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• Thanks @BeckyP005 & @topaz7777 - I am definitely anxious but figure if everyone else is able to learn and figure it out - we should be able to as well :)
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey 16 yr olds can handle it, we sure can right??

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• I agree that books are only helpful to a point during the first year and your parenting style/philosophy will drive which ones you want to read as your child gets older and you have more specific things that you are looking for. 

I would add Super Baby Food to your list.  You won't really need it until your child is closer to 6 mo as the APA recommendation is to hold off on solids until 6ish months.  It is like the feeding bible and was really helpful as we started solids.  I will be reading (or at least skimming) Baby Led Weaning as I'm pretty sure we'll go this route this time around.  It's a feeding method that uses solid food vs purees. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"