Preemies

Hospital bedrest girls...

how are/did you get through it? today is a bad day for me and I still have 6 more weeks...

take care

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital bedrest girls...

• I was on extreme bed rest for 6 weeks.  My feet didn't hit the floor once.  Having a laptop saved me.  Other things I did were crosswords, word finds, reading, played cards with visitors, etc.  I'm not into scrapbooking, the my neighbor in the hospital took her bed rest time to catch up on scrapbooking.  I had bad days, but you'll get through them.  You just persevere for the sake of your baby.  I also had some really wonderful nurses who would come in just to chat if they weren't busy.  My DH did his best to spend lots of time at the hospital with me.  He would bring in take out meals.  That always brightened my day!  Oh, and we brought in a DVD player and would watch DVDs.  I will say an extra prayer for you.  I know how rough it can be, but you're a strong momma, remember that!
  • I have to agree with pmkmp, the laptop saved my life. I also lived on the telephone (talking to 'safe people"...as in those who didn't cause my heartrate to increase or cause contractions)...visitors helped a lot too. Often my nurses and even my perinatologist would come in and visit for 1/2 time blocks at a time to keep me 'occupied'.  I did so love when DH would bring me food or when the nurses would allow me to get into a wheelchair and they'd take me outside for a 1/2 hour (obviously something you cannot do in the wintertime)..approved puppy visits in the parkinglot outside helped too (nurses would put me in my wheelchair and DH would bring our dogs up to come visit me)..I knitted a lot, read alot, watched a ton of DVDs (our hospital had a DVD player in my room), DH would bring up our TIVO and hook it up so that I could watch stuff I'd been 'saving' for summer break to watch while I was off work. My friends were the greatest too...not a day went by that SOMEONE didn't come visit me, even if it was a fast/short visit, someone always came in to see me.

YOu can do it, I know it's hard, but I have faith in you!

• Loading the player...
  • I'm on bedrest at home so I can't imagine how hard being in the hospital is for you.  The previous posts had great ideas.  I just wanted to let you know in case you hadn't seen it yet, we've started a "bedrest mama check in" on the 3rd tri board so we can help each other with ideas and commiserate when needed.

Good luck - I am kinda having a bad day too, but I just keep telling myself how important this is for my daughter.  I have an ultrasound picture near my bed to help me remember when it gets hardest.  Just know that tomorrow will probably be a better day!

• I found it got easier the longer that I had been there. I settled into a routine, I got to know all my nurses. I spent A LOT of time on the computer. I wasn't ableo read for the first couple weeks  because my mind wouldn't settle down, but once it did I read a lot. I ate. a lot.

GL!

Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • oh, we also had a nightly dinner visitor every night for the first month which was nice because we got a home cooked meal and some company, but that got to be too much so then we had people come 3 times a week so DH and I could have alone time. I also invited anyone who didn't work during the day to come visit me :)
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • I was in the hospital on bedrest for a total of 9 weeks.  The laptop definetly saved me.  Without it I would have gone nuts.  I also had a routine of shows I would watch on tv at certain times.  We also got a netflix account so DH and I could watch movies together on the weekends.  My sister brought me things to do for the nursery.  We painted letters that spell her name.  My mom and her bought clothes for our little girl and hung them around the room for "motivation."  They decorated my room for each holiday.  Try and make your room more comfortable and home like.  I had my own blankets, pillows, towels, and clothes.

I had a great family, someone was there every day.  DH came every night.  They brought me food because I stopped eating the hospital dinners.  I would rather starve then eat that crap again.

I definetly had bad days where I would cry all day, but I tried to stay positive.  My doctor would give me a wheelchair pass for an hour once a week.  We would go to the well baby nursery and the gift shops.  My hospital also had a Ben and Jerry's and Starbucks.  We would frequent those on my outings.

Get a calendar to count down the days.  It really helped me, I looked forward to crossing of the days every night.  Once you get a routine it won't be as bad.  Looking back now, I can't believe I lived in a hospital for more then 2 months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Check out 3rd tri in the mornings for a daily check in.

Also check out Sidelines.org, you have to register but it's a great resource with other women on bedrest. Many are on hospital BR.

• I was in the hospital on bedrest for 9 weeks.  It was the hardest 9 weeks of my life, but worth every minute!  As most of the other posters mentioned, the laptop (and the nest!) was a life saver.   I had beauty days where my mom would give me a pedicure.  My hair dresser even came to do my hair! I also watched a lot of TV and slept as much as I could (what I would do to sleep now!).  My situation was touch and go (they thought I could deliver at any day from 23 weeks on), so I kept a daily journal to write about all of our ups and downs and what the doctors were saying.  Whenever I had a bad day (or momentary meltdown), my husband would remind me that this was a temporary thing and I would not be there forever (it definitly felt that way sometimes!).  Good luck and stay strong!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"