Working Moms
Options

Normal to Require Formula?

I called the daycare that we are starting DD in on Friday to ask what I needed to bring and they told me I needed to bring a can of unopened formula. I confirmed that they are aware DD does not take formula as she is only BF. Apparently, they want us to bring formula just in case there is an emergency or natural disaster. Seriously? Is this normal? I wouldn't even know where to start with buying formula. I guess I better call our pedi for recs. Any EBF moms have advice for a back-up brand/type of formula?

Re: Normal to Require Formula?

• Options

i suppose if power went out or something?  Strange- i have never heard that.

you can't ever know what formula your child will do well on- so i'd just get something cheap - the chances of them needing it is quite slim.  We used target brand enfamil with DS and it worked great.

• Options
    My daycare requires every year an emergency kit for my DD.  You never know what could happen.  I used Enfamil Lipil w/ Iron.  Check with your Pedi.  But I don't think it's a strange request at all.  But I live in earthquake country.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

ours asked for the same thing. as well as a clean, empty extra bottle. they also let us keep a small stash of bm in the freezer. we kept rtf enfamil there in her cubby. she was on bm only for 6 months and then we switched to enfamil fully.

let's say that you are supposed to arrive at 5pm to pick up, and the weather is terrible. your child's daily bottles are done, and you are delayed in traffic/weather for 2 hours. time to eat again, maybe....

• Options

It isn't an unusual request.  DD was EBF and I had 4 cans of ready to pour formula in her cubbie.  While the formula wasn't my first choice in what to give dd, it did help for the days that I needed to stay late for something, or for the days that she was just a little extra hungry.  In 10 months, we went through 3 of the cans.  It also pulled a little stress off of me.  I was a horrible pumper and could really only pump enough for the next day.  This meant that I didn't have enough to send as an extra bottle incase something held me at work.  So, if I didn't get dd everyday before 4, she would be hungry.  With the formula there, I didn't have to run out of work like a mad woman because my baby would be hungry.  While I did pretty well in not running out of work like a mad woman, there were days that it was close, and a few days that I missed that feeding.

We just got the 4 pack of Enfamil ready to feed 6 oz cans at the grocery store. 

• Options

We had to do that too, as a precaution.  We just brought in some of the sample packs of formula we had gotten at the hospital.

The DC never had to use it - it was really only there in case DS drank more than I sent in one day or something like that.  I had asked if I could bring in a stash of BM to put in the freezer instead but they wouldn't let me do that.

• Options
    It seems like a pretty good precaution...better than baby going hungry in an emergency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I never heard of that and I wouldn't have done it - if there was that big of an emergency you would come pick him up. 

wow - just read other posts - I guess it is normal - I wouldn't have felt comfortable with it.  But I guess if other places do it - nothing to worry about.  Did you get any free samples?  I would just bring in one of those.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've never been asked to do that, but it really doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.  I remember in 2003 when we lost power and I'm so glad I didn't have kids then.  It would have taken me hours to get there and I would have missed a feeding for sure. It would break my heart to think of my baby being hungry and crying b/c I wasn't there.
  • Options
    My daycare does as well.  I just left one of the sample cans from the hospital but they never used it. They also had a couple bags of frozen milk they kept that they knew to use first if she ever ate too much, etc. But I can totally see why they'd want something just in case.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes, ours also has an emergency pack for the kids, and we had to send a can of formula just in case.  I just used one of the sample cans we received from Similac.

• Options
    My DCP did the same, and at the one year mark, they sent the unopened container home with us. DD is EBF too.  I just sent in the bottle of Similac that we got at the hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"