Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Did you have epidural?

2»

Re: Did you have epidural?

• I did not have one. I had 8 hours of regular contractions at home which I found manageable through mindful breathing, visualization and a heat pack. When I arrived at the hospital I was 7 cm. I went thru the transition in the next 45 min and pushed for 10 minutes. I found reading Mindful Birthing and Ina May's book really helpful in terms of preparation.
  • I planned not to have one, and was ready to throw in the towel after 12 hours of back labour. But then it was too late, which I'm more than ok with. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I did not have an epidural. My birth plan was to birth as naturally as possible with no interventions... I felt it would increase the chances of labor progressing quickly and decrease the chances of a forceps/vacuum or cesarean birth. I also hated the idea of being stuck on my back, unable to move and having a catheter + IV line in me - more afraid of these things than the prospect of the pain I would experience, I guess... however I have nothing against the epidural itself and I would have asked for one if I felt I needed it in the moment, but I didn't - thanks to labour progressing so quickly (8 hours from start to finish). 'Managing' the pain took so much energy, that I can see how one would require an epi just to make it possible to rest & build up the strength to push once the time comes.

I read a book by Juju Sundin https://www.jujusundin.com/ called Birth Skills - I found her pain management methods to be the most helpful! 

Whatever you decide, sounds like you have a great supportive partner who will help you through it.

• Yes, I had an epidural. I had an awful spinal headache for almost a week after, but I would still choose the epidural again. By the time you need it, you don't care about how you get it (especially if you need pitocin to speed up or induce your labor).
  • I would highly recommend not having the epidural.  I attended Bradley Childbirth classes during my pregnancy which teach women how to give birth naturally.  We learn exercises (that help the body prepare for the athletic event that labor and childbirth are), relaxation techniques (because more pain comes from being tense in anticipation of the pain), and how your husband can work with you during labor.  

One of the things that became very clear during my self-education during my pregnancy is that any medication affects the baby, and your uterus and baby do more work during labor that you will do. The epidural DOES affect the baby, and (s)he will not be able to help as much, or if at all.

Unfortunately, after 36 hours of natural labor, and 30+ hours after my water had broke, I was recommended to take pitocin to help me get past the 8-9 cm dilation (that I have been at for the last 12 hours).  This is due to their concern that the baby could get an infection, without the protection of the bag of waters.  However, with as long as I had been in labor, that an epidural would be best to help me maintain my energy for the actual birth.  With a heavy heart, knowing the long-term health issues that I could be subjecting my child to...and they are are finding out more and more health problems associated with medicated births...I chose this route. End result 46 hours of labor, with 2 hours of pushing.

So coming from both sides.  A self-educated women basically dead set on having a natural childbirth...and having to have an epidural and pitocin.  I can tell you what I found out.

1.) Labor pains themselves are not that bad.  There is a tightening, and as long as you stay focused on being relaxed, they don't even really hurt.  (Not to say that there were a few positions I couldn't use because it hurt to badly to be in, but the contractions themselves were just...well...contractions).
    2.) Epidurals not only numb you, but they can make movement almost impossible.  The is a major benefit with actually being able to move during labor.  Epidurals, you are limited, and they can (and for me) they made my left leg unmoveable by itself.  
    3.)  When it is time to push, you might not be able to feel the contraction enough to push with your body, and may be wasting effort.
    4.) Epidurals increase the second stage of labor (pushing).  Mine lasted two hours.
    5.) You will be flat on your back with an epidural vs being able to choose your birth position in natural childbirth and being able to use gravity to your benefit.
    6.) Epidurals can inhibit bonding with your new baby, because you will be out of it.  I know the moment after my daughter was born.  She was put on my stomach, and all I could think of immediately is , "Hold on, I need a moment.", then...wow she is darker than I expected.  But I was able to touch her before she was whisked away to the nursery with breathing issues.  (She's fine, and was back within an hour.)  However, the moment she was brought back...I became completely awake and in-love with my baby.  

SUMMARY  (Sorry for being long winded)
    Choose natural if you can, it truly is the best for you and your baby, including recovery.  But be open to keeping you and your baby safe above all your plans.
  • I got the epidural with both of my sons and do not regret it one bit. I had terrible back labor with both. When I delivered DS #2 two weeks ago, my pain was bad I almost threw up. It was then I decided to get the epidural. I didn't feel the needle at all and was so happy I got it. Recovery was fine both times and I was able to relax both times and my labors both times actually progressed faster with the epidural because I was relaxing and not tensing up. I could feel to push too, I had pressure and a slight bit of pain.

• I had planned to get the epi, but when I attended a birthing class, one of the things they showed us was how an epi can slow labor, and then you need pitocin or something to pick back up again. I decided to try and go natural and keep the epi in a back pocket, just in case. I did some reading and talked to other moms about natural birth. The most helpful thing I read was not to fight the contractions, just relax and let them happen. Easier said than done, but as a singer I had a lot of practice controlling my breath and muscles, so I had instinct on my side. I labored 2 hours at home and when contractions were close enough we went to the hospital. The baby was turned sideways, so they had me drink some juice to get her moving (which made me sick). All I wanted to do was use the bathroom, so I kept walking bed to bathroom and back. My water broke while I was on the toilet, so I think the extra walking helped :) When I first started pushing I was making lots of "push noises". A very helpful nurse pointed out that I was wasting my breath, and that filing my lungs and keeping them full while pushing would leave less room for baby inside, thus speeding up the process. Once I started doing that, everything moved faster. I had that baby out in less than 30 minutes, and my whole labor, from contractions to placenta, took under 5 hours (first and only baby). I never had so much as a Tylenol and was fully present for every second (even the unpleasant ones) of my daughter's birth. I can't say enough good things about having gone natural. One of the best was being able to stand up and walk away from that birthing bed! I got to shower by myself (with the epi I guess you sit and the nurse helps you), quite possibly the best shower I've ever taken :) One drawback was that I needed stitches, and the doc (who wasn't my usual doc) didn't realize I'd had absolutely no drugs and started stitching me up without them- you want a local anaesthetic for that! If I were going to do this again, I'd go exactly the same way. I loved my natural birth.
  • I had a natural vaginal birth with no drugs or epidural. Getting a shot hurts, so does labor. But taking drugs during labor can complicate things, like by putting the baby in distress which then makes the doctors want to give u more drugs which cause more problems. Just deal with the labor pains. They are just like menstruation, its really not that bad. It will likely be over in one day. You will be able to push better with no epidural. Also you will be less likely to tear, and the doctors will be less likely to cut you. Getting cut by them makes your healing take longer. Healing takes well over one day, so it is more of a pain than one day of labor.
  • I went for the epidural after my first contraction following them breaking my water. I was in SO MUCH PAIN before I had it, and was very uncomfortable from the contraction that I didn't even notice the needle going in! I was originally freaked about it too! I got to rest most of my labor, and the pushing was hard just because of the intense pressure, but I really don't think I would've survived without the epidural! DH and I are considering trying for #2 and there is NO question about whether to do the epidural again! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy, dear!
  • I didn't have an epidural. I was only in labor for about 7 hours though. I went in wanting an epidural and everything. When I got to the hospital I was about 4 cm dilated and they gave me medication in my IV and I slept for about 2 hours, when I woke up the contractions were strong and painful and it was too late for the epi. I was so upset at the time because I planned on getting one and I was worried that the pain was going to be unbearable but I wouldn't change anything. It wasn't that bad looking back. I am actually soooo glad I didn't get an epidural because I felt fine after my daughter was born. After they put that baby on top of you, you won't even care about what you went through. 
  • I planned to go natural with hypnobirthing due to scoliosis surgery I had long ago. Epidural and spinal blocks were not options for me. However, I had 28 hours of back labor, was getting too exhausted and at the end of being able to handle things without falling unconscious. Ended up with an emergency c section under general anesthesia because my little boy was stuck and I couldn't progress. So just be aware your plans can change fast, too!

• Buffylove said:
    I would highly recommend not having the epidural.  I attended Bradley Childbirth classes during my pregnancy which teach women how to give birth naturally.  We learn exercises (that help the body prepare for the athletic event that labor and childbirth are), relaxation techniques (because more pain comes from being tense in anticipation of the pain), and how your husband can work with you during labor.  

One of the things that became very clear during my self-education during my pregnancy is that any medication affects the baby, and your uterus and baby do more work during labor that you will do. The epidural DOES affect the baby, and (s)he will not be able to help as much, or if at all.

Unfortunately, after 36 hours of natural labor, and 30+ hours after my water had broke, I was recommended to take pitocin to help me get past the 8-9 cm dilation (that I have been at for the last 12 hours).  This is due to their concern that the baby could get an infection, without the protection of the bag of waters.  However, with as long as I had been in labor, that an epidural would be best to help me maintain my energy for the actual birth.  With a heavy heart, knowing the long-term health issues that I could be subjecting my child to...and they are are finding out more and more health problems associated with medicated births...I chose this route. End result 46 hours of labor, with 2 hours of pushing.

So coming from both sides.  A self-educated women basically dead set on having a natural childbirth...and having to have an epidural and pitocin.  I can tell you what I found out.

1.) Labor pains themselves are not that bad.  There is a tightening, and as long as you stay focused on being relaxed, they don't even really hurt.  (Not to say that there were a few positions I couldn't use because it hurt to badly to be in, but the contractions themselves were just...well...contractions).
    2.) Epidurals not only numb you, but they can make movement almost impossible.  The is a major benefit with actually being able to move during labor.  Epidurals, you are limited, and they can (and for me) they made my left leg unmoveable by itself.  
    3.)  When it is time to push, you might not be able to feel the contraction enough to push with your body, and may be wasting effort.
    4.) Epidurals increase the second stage of labor (pushing).  Mine lasted two hours.
    5.) You will be flat on your back with an epidural vs being able to choose your birth position in natural childbirth and being able to use gravity to your benefit.
    6.) Epidurals can inhibit bonding with your new baby, because you will be out of it.  I know the moment after my daughter was born.  She was put on my stomach, and all I could think of immediately is , "Hold on, I need a moment.", then...wow she is darker than I expected.  But I was able to touch her before she was whisked away to the nursery with breathing issues.  (She's fine, and was back within an hour.)  However, the moment she was brought back...I became completely awake and in-love with my baby.  

SUMMARY  (Sorry for being long winded)
    Choose natural if you can, it truly is the best for you and your baby, including recovery.  But be open to keeping you and your baby safe above all your plans.

See...those are all the things YOU experienced with the epi. I have given birth both with and without pain meds, and I can tell you that my birth with the epi was pretty much the complete opposite. With the epi I pushed less, recovered faster, had a more alert baby (probably because I pushed less), was totally 'with it', etc. I also did not push flat on my back I pushed in a squat, with assistance, and sitting almost completely upright. My legs were not completely numb and I was able to move them and bear some weight on them.

• I planned to have an epidural for my first pregnancy. I labored for 10 hours before getting my epidural. The wait was due to an crowded hospital and blood work to come back. Finally when I was able to get the epidural I was so thankful. I honestly didn't even notice the needle since the contractions were so painful. Best decision I ever made. I was able to finally relax until it was time to push which was 5 hours later. When it came time to pushing I was able to really focus on my breathing and ability to push where the nurses directed me. Would love to have a second baby in a couple years and will plan on an epidural again. 
  • FTM, I was on the "no plan" plan. Going to try natural..meds if I need them...epidural if it's worse than I could have possibly imagined. I just wanted to go with the flow. I ended up making it to 7cm before I finally said ok let's do meds. MW said they would take the edge off the contractions, which I had no idea what that meant. Really what it did was take away the pain in between contractions, they still hurt but I was able to release some tension in between. After about 30 minutes of that, I talked with DH and decided that I might be able to make it to 10...but would I be able to push after that. I didn't think so, so I gave the go ahead for the epidural. I wasn't worried about the needle or anything. The only thing I didn't like was the 'buzz' I got going down my left leg. It was a lot stronger than the doc described, I jumped big time.  

Next baby I think I might be able to make it through. But I'll tell you, the pushing was a lot harder and more painful than I was expecting. I pushed for an hour and 15 minutes. I guess my epi was turned off. Holy cow, getting passed that bone was rough! 

• I went in with an open mind to have an epi if needed. I'm so glad I did! I labored without the epi for 3 hours and it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced. It will make you so much more comfortable and you will be tired but not exhausted and able to enjoy the experience instead of thinking about the pain.
  • I have done both a pain med free birth and had an epidural. Both were very positive experiences for me. If I were to have baby 4 I'm not sure which route I would go. I would keep an open mind and make the decision in the moment. The epidural didn't hurt going in, it was a weird feeling actually. I chose it because I was feeling my contractions in my back more than during my med free birth. I was also able to relax more and rest with the epi.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had plans for an intervention-free birth and took Bradley classes beforehand. I labored for over 30 hours without medication and ended up getting it because I was physically exhausted and needed some relief. My labor was very slow progressing and I knew I still had a long way to go. The needle wasn't bad at all. I do think it further slowed things down, because I continued to labor for another 8 hours and by the time it was time to push I could feel my contractions and pushing really well again, but it was worth it for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"