December 2014 Moms
Options

choosing a pediatrician (stupid FTM question)

Have we discussed choosing a pediatrician yet? 

When should I start to look for a pedi for LO? Where do I even start, there are so many out there? What do I do? Anything to take into consideration (good or bad)?? Any things a FTM should know about the process? 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008

Re: choosing a pediatrician (stupid FTM question)

• Options
    I would start looking now. First get some recs. Talk to friends, family, or even your OB. Look at reviews online. Make sure that the pedi has rights at the hospital you like. Then all you do is call them up. I never felt like I had to interview them, but some people do. I just make sure they are taking new patients and they usually just say to make sure you put them down as your pedi when the baby is born.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I got tons of the recommendations. I also wanted a do your that had convenient hours and was close to to home or between work and home. The latter has been very very convenient for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I guess I need to start asking for some recs from people now and get on that ASAP. 

Nathaniel Richard born 12/20/14
    Dating 7/2/2004 * Married 8/16/2008
  • Options
    I live on an island so options are limited. We have a hospital that is also a college on the island and basically every healthcare provider is in the same location. My OB gave me a packet when I was about halfway through pregnancy with DS with the information on all of the pediaticians available in their offices. We really just picked one and went with it. If we hadn't liked the office we would have had to look somewhere on the mainland which is at least a 30 minute drive depending on where we chose and that's not always convenient when your LO is first born, let alone all of the visits required in the first year. However, a good pediatrician is very important so had we not felt this was adequate we would have made the drive.

D14 November Siggy Challenge: The feels of 3rd trimester...

imageimageimage

• Options
    We didn't have any recommendations in the area we were looking for (close to my work and my mom's house rather than where we live) so I looked online and watched some videos they had of each pedi. We did a pre-meeting with one and loved her, so we ended up going with her. She is awesome!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    kdm06c said:
    I would start looking now. First get some recs. Talk to friends, family, or even your OB. Look at reviews online. Make sure that the pedi has rights at the hospital you like. Then all you do is call them up. I never felt like I had to interview them, but some people do. I just make sure they are taking new patients and they usually just say to make sure you put them down as your pedi when the baby is born.
    This exactly.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PgAL : 04/2013 BFP - mmc/d&c  : 12/2013 BFP - chemical pregnancy

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I do agree to start looking sooner rather than later. It was one of those things DH and I just kept putting off before we knew it dd was her and the hospital was asking who our pedi was. They had the On call pedi come since that's their protocol if you haven't chosen one. That caused a whole set of issues too long to get into here. I took the recommendation of one of my 5 OB's. For 18 months we saw the same dr. He's ok but we don't jive 100%. At dd 18 month check up we had to see the NP bc of scheduling conflicts. OH MY GOD. It was a world of difference. If I have my way we will ONLY see her from here on out. She was amazing and dd didn't cry once. Again. Long stories can be told here but I won't steel your post :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options

First thing to consider is location. My pedi office is 1 mile from my house and 3 miles from my work. Second thing to consider are the hours. My office is open 7 days a week and has an after hours number with a nurse who will answer. Third thing was the actual DR. I wanted someone who felt similar about parenting decisions as me. For example, there is no particular way to sleep train, there is no certain time they NEED to be off the bottle/paci, etc.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"