December 2014 Moms

Do I tell the new job before I sign the contract?

I had found out I was pregnant and losing my job at the same time in the spring. I recently interviewed and was offered a job in a school setting. I did not share I was pregnant and now am worried that by not telling them I am being deceitful since I am due December 14 and will require time off. I guess my question is has anybody else had this experience and how did you handle it? Thanks :)

Answers

• I am also a teacher and also due the 14th. I would say now is the time you should tell them. I know my principal is already thinking ahead to December and my coverage. At this point they have hired you and cannot discriminate because you are pregnant. I would tell them as soon as possible.
  • I would absolutely tell them now. I'm a teacher and due December 7th, they have already found a long term sub for my classroom. A friend is a class room aide that was hired last year while pregnant and due in October she told them in July when she went to sign her contract and ended up having the baby early in August. You never know what could happen!
  • Loading the player...
  • I just accepted a part time job and all my interviews were done via telephone or webcam so I didn't tell them I was pregnant. Once I got the verbal job offer, I did let them know that I would have to take a leave of absence in a few months. I didn't sign a contract though so I'm an " at will" employee. That does make me nervous that they can let me go since I won't be eligible for FLMA.

However, if you signed a contract, you should be good to go!
  • My MIL is a superintendent and she advised me to wait until September to tell my school. It was kind of iffy as to whether or not my position would be cut back when I first found out I was pregnant so I didn't want to give them ANY reason to not reinstate me (even though I know they technically can't do that bc of pregnancy. I'm sure they'd find something else to say instead). Anyway, now the school year is approaching and I'm getting super nervous about telling them. I think that the school year is going to be here very very soon and you've had the official offer so it should be safe to let them know what's up. You need the job and you need to have this baby so they should understand. Good luck!
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • I haven't actually signed the contract...just accepted the verbal offer. I'm a nurse and not sure where that district stands on substitutes. So it seems I should let them know when I actually am presented with the contract or after I sign? I don't believe I will be eligible for FMLA since I will not have been employed a year before needing time off. So my contract will need to reflect the unpaid days.

• I would let them know before you sign the contract because you probably are committing to a certain number of days. I just wouldn't feel right saying I will be working x hours and knowing I won't be able to.

How comfortable are you with your future employer? I believe that even though they cannot terminate you for pregnancy they can find some other loophole to terminate if they really wanted...

Every job is different. This is just where my thought process is at.
  • crombiee said:

I haven't actually signed the contract...just accepted the verbal offer. I'm a nurse and not sure where that district stands on substitutes. So it seems I should let them know when I actually am presented with the contract or after I sign? I don't believe I will be eligible for FMLA since I will not have been employed a year before needing time off. So my contract will need to reflect the unpaid days.

If you want unpaid days specifically addressed in your contract then you probably should let them know so that it can be added. I would say so long as you have a written offer then tell them.

Test
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"