October 2014 Moms

When do they start checking cervix?

I don't have another appt for two weeks and I'm sure it varies by dr. but I'm curious what what you all know about when the dr starts checking your cervix. I know mine said they'd check at 37 weeks and if it was "favorable" they'd schedule induction for 39 weeks if I wanted. Do they check before that?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When do they start checking cervix?

• I was 38 weeks and they still hadn't checked last time... no clue when they check at my OB 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm, I never got checked, and my son was born at 38w3d. I actually missed a prenatal appointment because I was pushing him out (that appointment card is a fun souvenir, now!), and I think they would have checked me then.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • @Justabean3‌ ...yeah, I've heard different things about induction. #1 weighed 9 lbs, though, and #2 weighed 10 and got pretty bruised on the way out. I was exactly 40 weeks with both and tore pretty bad. I know induction doesn't give me any guarantees, but I'm willing to chance it if the doc thinks it'll take. I'm afraid of an 11 lb baby!
  • It's head circumference and shoulder width, as well as baby's position in the womb and pelvis at birth, that make for difficult vs. easy delivery and tearing or not, NOT baby's weight alone.

I was induced out of medical necessity at 37 weeks, but I would have given anything to let DS continue to grow and his brain continue to develop where he belonged until he was ready to be born.

Here's some info you may find helpful:
    https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/
    imageimage
  • Mine starts at 37 weeks I think - I've heard that sometimes the cervical checks can "start things going" so I don't think they want to do it before full term (unless there is a concern that there are changes taking place).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Emerald27 said:

It's head circumference and shoulder width, as well as baby's position in the womb and pelvis at birth, that make for difficult vs. easy delivery and tearing or not, NOT baby's weight alone.

I was induced out of medical necessity at 37 weeks, but I would have given anything to let DS continue to grow and his brain continue to develop where he belonged until he was ready to be born.

Here's some info you may find helpful:
    https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/

I was an ounce shy of 11 lbs (third baby, second VBAC for my mom) and I came into the world quite easily--I think my mom was in labor for about 5 hours total.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I tend to start dilating early- my last baby was born at 36 weeks...so usually I get checked by 36 weeks because of my history if I am having very many braxton hicks or other signs. I have never made it to the full 40 weeks and usually I am 4 cm by 34-35 weeks. I went in for a routine midwife check with my last baby after being on bedrest and procardia meds for preterm labor....when she checked me I was already 5 cm with a buldging bag of waters so she sent us straight to the hospital and my son was born 3.5 hrs later. Crazy day!
     Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and Grandma to 1 (so far!) YES we would love to have more! 
    Baby #9- It's a GIRL!!  Born Oct 1st 2014!!

Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus!

• MorganWPMorganWP member
    edited August 2014
    It also depends on if you have strep or not. My doctor wont do checks if you have it, just to avoid passing it to the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmm...ok, so they won't check until 37.  I just couldn't remember and now that I think of it, I don't think they ever did with my others.  With the last one I went in for my 40 week appt. having regular contractions and the Dr. checked me.  I was 4 cm dilated and he decided to strip my membranes, which wasn't pleasant, and scheduled me for an induction a week later and sent me home!!  The nurse looked at me as I was leaving and said, "he's really sending you home?!?"  As soon as I got home I called the hospital that I was going to go in and DS was both 5 hours later!  They also told me he'd be in the 7 lb range...I've learned that they don't always know what they're talking about!  ;)
  • I agree with @emerald27, on weight not necessarily having an effect on labor. My DD (my first) was a 9 pounder and born 4 hours after my first contraction.

My dr never checked my cervix and I went 40wk 2 days, but I know that's not typical. I was dead set against an induction though, and from what I've read dilation isn't a great predictor of when you'll go into labor anyway, so I could see no reason for the extra pokes and prods :) 

• Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014

@Justabean3‌ ...yeah, I've heard different things about induction. #1 weighed 9 lbs, though, and #2 weighed 10 and got pretty bruised on the way out. I was exactly 40 weeks with both and tore pretty bad. I know induction doesn't give me any guarantees, but I'm willing to chance it if the doc thinks it'll take. I'm afraid of an 11 lb baby!

Oh it will take :) it will just be more painful most likely and I really think longer cooked babies are easier after birth. This again is just me comparing my own two babies. One was at 41.5 weeks, easy temperament and the second 39 weeks, so fussy fussy fussy

My friend just had hers 40w even induced lightly and he was 7 pounds 5 oz, very bruised and fractured his clavicle so size doesn't necessarily matter for that either
  • I think my doctor told me they were going to start checking me at 36 weeks. I have a different doctor this time than I did with my first because he passed away. With my first I was 39 weeks 4 days and my water broke at home. I had him about 9 hours later. He was 7lbs. 11 oz. I tore with him a little not much. But I am a little nervous having a different doctor this time around because I haven't got to see him very much. I always see his MW. I think it really depends on your doctor and your body on when and how you will go into labor.
  • @Justabean3‌ ...yeah, I've heard different things about induction. #1 weighed 9 lbs, though, and #2 weighed 10 and got pretty bruised on the way out. I was exactly 40 weeks with both and tore pretty bad. I know induction doesn't give me any guarantees, but I'm willing to chance it if the doc thinks it'll take. I'm afraid of an 11 lb baby!
    Oh it will take :) it will just be more painful most likely and I really think longer cooked babies are easier after birth. This again is just me comparing my own two babies. One was at 41.5 weeks, easy temperament and the second 39 weeks, so fussy fussy fussy My friend just had hers 40w even induced lightly and he was 7 pounds 5 oz, very bruised and fractured his clavicle so size doesn't necessarily matter for that either

Fractured clavicle? Ouch, poor peanut!
  • They should NEVER check! Until you go intendant that is. It can invite infection. Also, learn everything you can about induction before making that choice.... It has many more cons than pros.

Oh it will take :) it will just be more painful most likely and I really think longer cooked babies are easier after birth. This again is just me comparing my own two babies. One was at 41.5 weeks, easy temperament and the second 39 weeks, so fussy fussy fussy

My friend just had hers 40w even induced lightly and he was 7 pounds 5 oz, very bruised and fractured his clavicle so size doesn't necessarily matter for that either

Fractured clavicle? Ouch, poor peanut!

-----

Yes and they didn't find out until he was almost 10 days old. I took newborn pictures of him in day 8 and he screamed any time you layed him down, he was still very bruised and had a hemotoma on his head. We thought maybe reflux. She took him the next day because that night she noticed his clavicle looked liked it was "popping". She suspected right and it was fractured :(

• Checking means nothing and can introduce infection  -it really isn't recommended until you are in active labor, and only then if you need to know progress (ie if it is time to push, or you want to make sure you are at least 4cm dilated before having an epidural).

As for induction at 39 weeks without a legit medical reson....really?  You can't just let baby come when baby is ready?

That was my first thought too. OP, why would he induce at 39 weeks?

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• I was having preterm labor contractions so therefore I've been checked three times already. Thankfully I haven't dilated or effaced yet but I think they're going to check me every appointment now which has turned into weekly appointments. This started a week ago now. Just informing you of a different circumstance!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• ADH0906 said:
    Checking means nothing and can introduce infection  -it really isn't recommended until you are in active labor, and only then if you need to know progress (ie if it is time to push, or you want to make sure you are at least 4cm dilated before having an epidural).

As for induction at 39 weeks without a legit medical reson....really?  You can't just let baby come when baby is ready?
    It's their standard practice with a patient who is AMA - in my case, 40 years old.  Add to that the size of previous babies and they will want to induce if my cervix is favorable.  If it's not favorable, that's when the induction could possibly fail or be much more difficult, in which case, they'd let me go to 40 weeks.  I chose this practice knowing that this was their standard and I"m ok with that.  Could I argue?  Yes, if I wanted to, but if they say it's looking good for induction, then I want to go ahead with it.  I'm hoping I go into labor naturally before that, but if I don't, I also know my DH must travel closer to my due date and we can't afford for him to not go on the work trip, so not a med reason, but a good personal one for me.
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited August 2014

ADH0906 said:

Checking means nothing and can introduce infection  -it really isn't recommended until you are in active labor, and only then if you need to know progress (ie if it is time to push, or you want to make sure you are at least 4cm dilated before having an epidural).

It's their standard practice with a patient who is AMA - in my case, 40 years old.  Add to that the size of previous babies and they will want to induce if my cervix is favorable.  If it's not favorable, that's when the induction could possibly fail or be much more difficult, in which case, they'd let me go to 40 weeks.  I chose this practice knowing that this was their standard and I"m ok with that.  Could I argue?  Yes, if I wanted to, but if they say it's looking good for induction, then I want to go ahead with it.  I'm hoping I go into labor naturally before that, but if I don't, I also know my DH must travel closer to my due date and we can't afford for him to not go on the work trip, so not a med reason, but a good personal one for me.

---------
    Well you left out you are 40. I don't think that means you need to induce BUT it gives a lot more reason why they may want to. That was kind of key information there :)

• I asked to have one at 39w 5d bc my DH really wanted me to get one.  My MW group was fine with not doing them at all until I was in labor because they don't really help in determining when someone will actually go into labor (I have a friend who was 4 cm with her second for 3 weeks before she went into labor).  This time around, I'm thinking I probably won't do one unless we need to for some reason.  I believe that the strep test will be done around 36-37 weeks, if I remember correctly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"