May 2014 Moms

I need a good probiotic for my toddler

I'm desperate. DS is just getting over a nasty GI bug that completely wrecked his digestive system.

We need something hard-core but easy to take (he can't swallow pills yet), with a high count of several strains.

Any recs?

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

Re: I need a good probiotic for my toddler

• Is he able to keep milk products down? We just give DS yogurt when he is on antibiotics. I don't know any other options for kids. You can call the nurses line at the pediatricians office and see what they recommend. Or go to a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, he's fine now. But it's going to take ages to get him totally back to normal. He gets sick often and always seems to have the worst case of whatever illness he catches, so I was hoping to give his immune system a little boost.

• Loading the player...
  • springbeduk2springbeduk2 member
    edited August 2014
    There's a lot on Amazon that are labeled for babies/children - many are powders to mix with something tasty or just take the powder. Many have multiple strains (I think Gerber soothe may only have one strain) but choosing which brand/collection of strains ...??? I did a ton of web research last week to try to pick one for my Lo and didn't find a lot of good guidance so just picked one. Too soon to know if it seems to help.

You can also crush tablets or open capsules to get around to can't swallow pills problem.

Good luck and if you find one you feel helps him a lot please share!
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • We use this, it's a powder. It says until age four. We started it after a hospitalization at five weeks and we couldn't get LOs tummy back on track. I don't recommend ordering from amazon in this case, because they won't ship it cold. You may be able to find it at a health store. You can just add it to a beverage, and it's tasteless.
  • Thanks, ladies! I thought about ordering one from Amazon, but like @babyaotw said, they don't ship cold. I ended up grabbing Ultimate Flora for kids from Whole Foods. Hopefully it gets him back on track soon.

• Yogurt.  Greek yogurt in this house.  We did Fage before it was cool.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"