December 2014 Moms

Surprise...it's a...Fibroid?

I just had my 20 week a/s yesterday and while they were looking at my healty baby (thank goodness) the tech mumbled that he is sure my fibroids are more annoying to him right now than to me...so I said...excusemeWHAT?

He said I have fibroids.

One is as large as a softball, didn't I know?

So basically I had no idea, the baby is healthy, the fibroid is not in the way...for now. I might need a c-section depending on if it blocks anything for vbirth, and the baby might be smaller than normal depending on if it invades the space inside the placenta...it was quite a shock to me and I'm pretty scared if I'm perfectly honest.

The tech assured me there was nothing wrong, with the baby, and I know this should be my #1 concern but I'm having a freak out session that I will not be able to get pregnant again and need a hysterectamy and etc etc.

It took us over a year to get pregnant with this child, and we were one week away from going to a doctor's appointment to figure out why when we found out we were pregnant. I plan on calling my doc today just to check in with her but I'm lying if I say I'm not really really afraid.

Has anyone else had this type of surprise at your scan? I'm still a little bit in shock and it's hard to enjoy the moment of finding out what we are having and that he is healthy because all I keep thinking is, will this be my only child? I don't even know if there was a question in this. I'm scared. I'm happy but scared. I guess I need to hear someone else's expereince? Yes for sure i'm calling my doctor today - but hearing from other moms would be good right now.

Thank you in advance!

First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

Re: Surprise...it's a...Fibroid?

• I worked at a fertility clinic, and we saw a good number of patients who had fibroids and didn't know it. Please get clarification for your OB, they should talk to you about your personal risks. Fibroids are important based on where they are (in the uterus, out of the uterus, or in the muscle), how big they are, and how fast they grow. The first thing my docs would do is explain all of this to the patient, and then let them know if their fibroid(s) were something of concern, fertility or just comfort wise. It sounds like they aren't too worried, but make sure you get clarification. Good luck and congrats on the healthy baby! Boy or girl?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you! I am definately getting some clarification today - and...IT'S A BOY!!!!!
    First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Tarene said:

I just had my 20 week a/s yesterday and while they were looking at my healty baby (thank goodness) the tech mumbled that he is sure my fibroids are more annoying to him right now than to me...so I said...excusemeWHAT?

He said I have fibroids.

One is as large as a softball, didn't I know?

So basically I had no idea, the baby is healthy, the fibroid is not in the way...for now. I might need a c-section depending on if it blocks anything for vbirth, and the baby might be smaller than normal depending on if it invades the space inside the placenta...it was quite a shock to me and I'm pretty scared if I'm perfectly honest.

The tech assured me there was nothing wrong, with the baby, and I know this should be my #1 concern but I'm having a freak out session that I will not be able to get pregnant again and need a hysterectamy and etc etc.

It took us over a year to get pregnant with this child, and we were one week away from going to a doctor's appointment to figure out why when we found out we were pregnant. I plan on calling my doc today just to check in with her but I'm lying if I say I'm not really really afraid.

Has anyone else had this type of surprise at your scan? I'm still a little bit in shock and it's hard to enjoy the moment of finding out what we are having and that he is healthy because all I keep thinking is, will this be my only child? I don't even know if there was a question in this. I'm scared. I'm happy but scared. I guess I need to hear someone else's expereince? Yes for sure i'm calling my doctor today - but hearing from other moms would be good right now.

Thank you in advance!

Relax. ..If it was a cause for concern then your OB will tell you. My mom had fibroids through each of her 3 healthy pregnancies. I have 3 fibroids and we are monitoring them since one is degenerating and causing some pain. I was told that they are more of annoyance to me then baby.

Talk to your OB. If you have fibroid pain there are safe ways to help them calm down and treat the pain. My OB is considering additional US to check the fibroids as I get closer to the due date to make sure they aren't in the way. We will likely have them surgically removed after baby. Hysterectomy is generally not the first course of treatment.

Test
  • I have a lot of experience dealing with fibroids unfortunately. Currently I have 7 of them of various sizes.

I am NOT a doctor, but here's what I've learned over the years...

They can cause some problems, as previous posters have said, depending on where they are and how much they grow (if at all) during pregnancy. Very often pregnancy causes them to shrink, but every woman is different. In reality, more than 50% of women of childbearing age have at least one fibroid and they are almost never cause for concern or a risk to the baby. Yours sounds like it's on the slightly larger side, but that really doesn't mean much. There's still more than enough room in there for baby. You might be more likely to have some cramping and I'm sure you'll be monitored a little more if the fibroid is somewhere that could cause a problem (e.g., blocking the cervix), but that's really probably it. 

Easier said than done, but do try not to worry. For most women the worst thing about having fibroids is that it's a little more difficult to get pregnant, but you've already crossed that hurdle! So unless your doctor tells you otherwise, I would just think of the fibroid as a minor annoyance and focus more on how you're going to take care of your beautiful little boy!!

I'm happy to chat more if you want to PM me. 
  • Thank you guys so much for this, I really needed to hear it.

I just got off the phone with the dr's office and they said essentially the same things, I'll be monitored more closely now, probably get a few more ultrasounds more regularly but it's a common occurance and the baby is fine and like you said, it's more annoying than an "issue".

So basically thank you very much again for helping me chillax about this. I really do appreciate it!!

First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

• Sorry for your fibroid issue. Congrats on your baby boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited August 2014

I have several fibroids & I have two that are large. They are causing me a lot of pain but thank godness my baby is healthy & not feeling any of the pain. The doctor said it'll just affect me mostly and not the baby. They will give me more ultrasounds to monitor the baby's growth & if the baby's growth becomes restricted, I may have to deliver early & or have a c-section. I'm glad to hear you are not in any pain. The only thing I can do is take extra strength tylenol and rest. It sucks but I'm happy to bear the pain if that means the baby won't feel anything.

Me & DH (33), 3 Furbabies, TTC since October 2011
    Day 3 #’s (Dec 2012) FSH 9, AMH .77, LH 2.4, E2 31, AFC 9 

DX: Me-DOR + No Tubes, DH-Fine

Ectopic 2007; lost tube/2nd tube removed Dec 2011 (hydro)

April 2012=IVF#1- EPP Antag+ICSI, 2R,0F (BFN), Now dx’d with DOR.

June-July 2012=IVF#2- MDL+ICSI&AH, 8R,4M,3F (BFP 9dp3dt) Beta#1 at 11dp3dt=36, Beta#2 at 15dp3dt=156, Beta#3 at 19dp3dt=671, dx'd with SCH, no growth-m/c at 7wks/Lap Dec 2012 to remove small fibroid.

Feb 2013=IVF#3-MDL, 2/1=baseline, started 10 units mdl, AFC-7, 2/3 start gonal f, self cxld cycle b/c of low e2.

April 2013=IVF#3.5-(with new RE)AG/ANT Conv + ICSI. 4/10-4/23 bcp's, 4/20-4/27 lupron, 4/28-ganirelix until end of stimming, 5/2-600 gonal f, 5/4-add 1/2 vial menopur, 5/13-ER (9R,1M,1F), 5/17-ET, 1 beautiful 8 cell (please be my sticky baby!!!!) 5/28-BFFN.

Oct 2013=IVF#4-LLP+ICSI &AH, 10/14 (6R, 2M, 2F), 10/17-ET, 1 seven cell & a six cell, BFP at 9dp3dt, 1st beta=56, 2nd beta=52, CP.

Jan 2014=IVF #5-LLP, Cxld after 6 days of stims due to fast response and lead follicle. 

March 2014=IVF 5.5-LLP, Lupron 3/10, BL 3/18, 11 days of stims, Trigger 3/29, ER 3/31. 7R, 2M, 2F. ET 4/3. Txfd one 5 cell & one 9 cell. BFP on hpt from 7dp3dt & on. Praise be to God. Beta #1 at 11dp3dt=106, #2 at 13dp3dt=239. First u/s 4/28, measuring on track & heartbeat seen. 5/5-2nd u/s, measuring on track with strong heartbeat. 5/12- 3rd u/s & released from RE. Grow baby grow, we love you! Baby G&T is a BOY! Born 12/2014 via c/s! 8lbs, 8oz & 21 inches.

*******Ticker Warning**********

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

"God's Delay is not God's Denial"
  • I found out I had a fibroid during my level 2 ultrasound. It is currently the size of a golf ball, but it was definitely not there before. Stupid uterus.

I've never had fibroids before, that I know of. But I'm having a RCS so there is pretty much nothing to worry about, I guess. Good luck

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Glad everything is ok. I hope it doesn't goes problems.
  • Oh how interesting! Thank you I'm totally looking into it.
    First Time Mom

ITS A BOY!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"