December 2014 Moms

Breastfeeding question for STM

Hey! I was in Target today and I saw a The First Years Breastflow Memory Double Breast Pump on clearance for $58! I thought that was a really good price considering it's originally $180. Of course I picked it up because of the price and it was the last one. 

My question is have any of you ever used it before? I read a few reviews online and only a very few said it wasn't worth the buy, but most of the reviews said they really liked it. I have personally never heard of this pump before today, but I liked that it was WAY cheaper than the Medela. But hopefully that doesn't mean the quality is. 

If any of you could give me your feedback on this pump, or any pump for that matter, that would be great. I'm a first time mom and I plan to strictly breastfeed, so I need to find a good pump.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Breastfeeding question for STM

• This name sounds familiar so I'm thinking its the one my good friend used and I think she was pretty happy with it.  However, she was an occasional pumper and didn't depend on it every day.  If the reviews are good, I'd probably give it a try.  If you don't like it, you can always buy another one or maybe get a free one through your insurance like @Ainslie325 said.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My insurance covers a Medela or Ameda of my choice 100% so it's DEF worth making the phone call. I haven't heard of that brand so I'm no help but the price DOES sound great.
  • Loading the player...
  • I even heard staywell medicaid patients will be covered for a breast pump but can't find dick online.  So yep, I'mma call to check that out. 
  • Yummymummy is the site I used OP. You enter in your insurance info and it will let you know what you qualify for. 
  • I asked a question on the lactation consultant thread about pump recommendations, and the LC said for a full-time working mom, she recommended either the Ameda Purely Yours, Medela Pump In Style, or the Hygeia Q/Enjoye. All three are covered by my insurance through Bynam Healthcare.

I had a Medela PIS or Freestyle (can't remember which) that I used with the girls sporatically 6 and 8 years ago. So, I'm going to be new to this whole pumping a lot thing. Do any of you have strong thoughts either way based on the three options recommended by the LC?
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• I didn't know that Insurance companies provide them. Thanks ladies! I'll definitely look into that. If not though, I think I might keep the one I bought. Unless, of course, I find a better one (Medela maybe) for cheaper.

Thanks !
  • Indeed, I called my insurance just yesterday and they said they'd cover one 100% with a prescription from my doctor. Glad you are looking into it!
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

• That sounds like a great deal, but with my experience when things are on THAT good of a sale, there's usually a reason - and not a good one.

I'd check with insurance, but even if they don't cover it and you can manage it, I'd highly recommend going with the Medela PIS. I know it's pricey, but it's seriously worth the money (especially if planning to go back to work!!) and the best double pump you can get without going hospital grade.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I only have a medela and its great.

One of my friends went through a couple pumps 1st before deciding on the medela because they the others sucked. I don't remember the brand names though.

My apprehension would be.....the fact that it is on clearance means they probably didn't sell well and they don't want to carry them anymore???  IDK

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• byrne15 said:

One of my friends went through a couple pumps 1st before deciding on the medela because they the others sucked. 

Don't you want a breast pump to suck??? :P

BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"