October 2014 Moms

Bras with underwire?

Ok, are they really that bad? Last week I finally caved and bought some new bras due to going up a cup size. My entire adolescent and adult life I've worn padded or push up bras with underwire. It's just what feels the most secure to me, so my new bras are also push ups with underwire.

Last night I was reading something online that said pregnant & nursing women shouldn't wear bras with underwire, because they can cut off your milk supply or something. Boo! Now I have three brand new, beautiful bras that fit like a glove, and I'm not sure I should be wearing them. Any other ladies just rocking underwire anyway? Any STMs that did so before with no breast milk issues? I just don't know how I feel about wireless bras... :|

Re: Bras with underwire?

• I wore underwire nursing bras. It would have been a ghastly sight had I not. Just make sure the wires don't press into your milk ducts- I'm pretty sure that's where the problem comes and it can cause clogged ducts etc. I just made sure the wires didn't dig and it was well fitting/not too tight and I personally had no problems. I figure they make them so I don't know why people can't wear them. Maybe some women have more problems with it than others? I didn't deal with any clogged ducts or mastitis Etc though in my 14 months bfing.
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • They can have my underwires when they pry them from my cold, dead boobs.  Seriously, there is no way I would ever feel comfortable or supported w/o them.  I'm a large-breasted lady (40EE/40F depending on bra) and NEED my support.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I hate underwires because my breasts are so wide- I can never find anything that doesn't dig into me.  I have been having the HARDEST time finding a nursing bra without underwire.  I think if it fits right, you should be fine.
  • I wore underwires from probably 6 weeks until DS weaned at 13 months without issue. 
  • Somewhat unrelated, but I have stopped wearing bras at home. I dont have super big breasts, I'm a full B when not pregnant and about a mid C when I am. I wear the tanktops with built in bras around the house, just for comfort's sake. Of course, I do bra up when I leave my home.

image         image

• I did have a nursing bra without an underwire that I wore when my milk first came in and I had some nursing tanks that I lived in.  When I was pumping for work, etc though I wore an underwire all the time without a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image              image
  • My push-up bras (underwire) were expensive so I haven't caved yet to get nursing bras. My boobs are nearly touching my chin at this point.

I plan on getting mostly soft nursing bras, maybe one underwire one.
    ~First time mama, strikingly handsome husband, comedic pooch, krumpin' baby girl on her way~

• Pre-preg... 36B/C. Now... 38DD (and growing)

Only in the past 2 weeks or so i've been wearing exclusively non-underwire (and plan on getting more). I tried to wear an underwire nursing/maternity bra yesterday and wound up taking it off half way through the day... good thing i was wearing a cami and a shirt with some structure over it... going commando at work is a bizarre feeling.  i put it back on before i left... don't worry i didn't give anyone a show! 

my new favorite thing is the sleeping bra.  keeps the girls off the belly and gives them enough support that i don't feel like a woman straight out of the pages of national geographic.  HIGHLY recommend at this stage of the game, ladies.

It's the never-ending boob saga.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started as a DD, and they're still getting bigger. I couldn't leave the house without an underwire unless I was in a baggy sweatshirt... Maybe.

If they fit well, and are comfortable, I would wear what you have.
  • I wish it were socially acceptable to "free ball" in public. I've seen a couple of older ladies with HUGE boobs come into my place of business with no bra. It's visually offensive. That's pretty much the only motivating factor for me to put one on.
  • I wish it were socially acceptable to "free ball" in public. I've seen a couple of older ladies with HUGE boobs come into my place of business with no bra. It's visually offensive. That's pretty much the only motivating factor for me to put one on.

Hahahaha. It is the WORST when you see someone with big old boobs, no bra, and a tshirt!

image         image

Hahahaha. It is the WORST when you see someone with big old boobs, no bra, and a tshirt!
    Yeah with boobs so close to the waist you're worried they might come out the bottom of their shirt. Then you know from then on that lady is AUTOMATICALLY your male co-worker's girlfriend! 
  • I'll be happy when they stop resting on my stomach. As for underwire, I have no idea what will happen, but I need it. I guess if I have problems with my milk supply or ducts or whatever then I'll try something else. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Just make sure they fit very well and aren't putting pressure on part of your breast. The concern isn't your supply, it's plugged ducts. If you notice that around or behind the underwire you're feeling sore and lumpy, you either need a size up or to abandon underwires. ;)
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"