December 2012 Moms

Hair washing hell!!!

Last night I honestly thought that our neighbor was going to call the cops on me, Morgan was screaming while I was trying to wash her hair.  I'm talking "help me this lady is trying to kill me" screams.  She has never liked having her hair washed, she always tries to fight it, but recently it's gotten worse.  She takes a bath every night, most nights it's just play in the tub to clean up a bit.  I only wash her hair 2-3 times per week and I have never hurt her while washing her hair.  She's never had soap in her eyes or gone under either, so I don't know where her fear is coming from. 

Any suggestions to help make this easier on Morgan and me???

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

Re: Hair washing hell!!!

• If you figure out, please let me know, lol. Abbi HATES having water poured over her head when you're washing her hair too. Between myself and her 2 grandmothers, we've tried cups, squirt bottles, hand held shower heads, letting her do the dumping with various implements, and leaning her back in the water....she doesn't like any of it. She handles it better when I do it than when one of her grandmothers does it, but she still isn't a happy camper. What I don't understand is that it's limited to the bathtub- the one or two times she's been swimming, she tries to stick her face in the pool, and she'll run under sprinklers and the water stuff at the splash pad with no problem and even laugh if you dumb water on her head from a bucket while at the splash pad...

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Same scenario here. Killian hates have his hair washed or water poured over his head in the bath tub. He's already swimming by himself in the pool and will even jump off a floatie into the water & go under just fine but in the tub... heaven forbid anything above his belly button gets wet.

I usually just make it as fast as possible. Big cup of water over the head, shampoo already in my hand, suds him up & another big cup of water to rinse. I've got it down to about 20 seconds total. He still screams but at least its only for a little while & then he can go back to playing with his toys.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Ainsley doesn't like it either, but she has learned to cover her face with her hands and she tolerates it much better now. I count to three to warn her before I dump water over her head, so that helps. She knows when to put her hands up if I do that. At swimming lessons, they also thought them how to make a monkey face (eyes and moth closed) when water goes over their head, so if I tell her to do that, it usually works pretty well too.
  • Morgan is scared of our hand held shower head, but maybe if she holds it she might like it.  I am going to try to give her a washcloth to hold over her eyes, that might work. 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Wow I guess I'm lucky, Gianna doesn't mind me dumping water over her head. As soon as I dump the water on her she stands up though, but doesn't cry. Then just sits down and goes back to what she was doing. They sell those hat things that have a big rim idk if that would help or not. I have also seen those bucket things with the soft side to put up against their forehead when dumping the water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DD hates it too, freaks out every time.  It makes no sense to me because she goes to swimming lessons and jumps off the side of the pool, head going under water every time.  I guess it's a control thing.
  • DD isn't bad for the first dump but by the second she tries to get up. I usually tell her to look down with a toy in her hand and that seems to help a little. I also try to be as quick as possible too. 

We are doing swim lessons now and if I try to put dd on her back and water gets near her ears, she screams bloody murder. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • let Daddy turn it into a game? DD is much more adventerous with DH than myself.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When DS was less mobile, he let me put my hand on his forehead to redirect the water away from his eyes, and he was fine with it. Now, he squirms away from my hand and ends up with water all down his face. I have just been trying to make it fast. I start by using the shower head to rinse the back of his head, which he doesn't mind so much. That minimizes the time that I need to have the water flowing over the top to get all the soap out. 
  • Last night I was able to get her to lay back so I could ger her hair wet without any screaming and I tried to make a game of it.  I made sure the water wasn't too high in the tub and let her lay her head down on the floor of the tub.  I then counted to 3 to get all of her hair wet and then kind of swooped her out of the water, she giggled a bit after that!  She has such thick hair though that it takes about 5 minutes to actually wash and rinse it to get all of the soap out, I don't use much but have to use enough to get her hair clean.

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Mine go through phases of hating it and tolerating it. I also count to 3 (and pray I can get all the suds out of their thick hair in 3 rinses!) and that helps them deal with it. One thing that has me scratching my head is that the last two nights L started screaming bloody murder when I was rinsing N's hair....makes no sense! Maybe he was anticipating that he was next? I'll try rinsing him first tonight and see if that makes a difference.....it was so weird, though, that the baby that was getting his hair washed was just fine while his brother cried his eyes out over it. :P
  • We haven't had this problem yet. I'll keep this thread in mind if we do. I'm glad you found something that works.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"