December 2014 Moms

PSA: Udder Covers (that name!) and Carseat Canopies

Okay so I haven't seen these mentioned on this board yet but apparently it's pretty easy to find around the interwebz. I had a student last year give me some coupons from her mom who just had a baby (side note, this kid made me a card, brought me a homemade blanket, and these coupons when she found out I was pregnant-sweet kid). 
The coupons are for a free Udder Cover (I hate that name!) nursing cover, a free nursing pillow from www.nursingpillows.com, a free sling from www.sevenslings.com, and a free carseat canopy from www.carseatcanopy.com.. the catch is, the credit doesn't cover shipping, which is about $12 an item. From my research online promo codes to get these items free (except shipping costs) are EXTREMELY easy to come by-in fact when I ordered one item they sent me more promo codes for free items on their sister sites. I was able to find promo codes for free items really quickly after I used my coupon code. ANYWAY, I wanted to say I heard mixed reviews about some of the items. My friends recommended both the Udder Cover and the Carseat Canopies, so that's what I bought, but I did not read good things about the sling and I didn't need a nursing pillow so idk about them. Since I'm having twins, I went ahead and ordered two carseat canopies and I was able to use the code twice-had to pay shipping twice.
It seems these companies probably just make their money primarily off people upgrading their canopies to have embroidery and then shipping costs. Interesting business model to me. 
Long story short, I would recommend if you are thinking you want either a nursing cover or a carseat canopy, I'd look for one of their promo codes!

Re: PSA: Udder Covers (that name!) and Carseat Canopies

• Holy long post. Sorry ladies!
  • There have been a number of posts in the past about these, I don't know about the canopy but I have the nursing cover and it's not worth the "only $10 shipping" I could have made a better one and bought the materials for less. Same goes with the nursing pillow that always gets advertised with these deals. 

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep, they've been around for years and they make their money from shipping. The quality of the nursing cover is just okay. I do like that it's thin but prefer just using a Aiden+Anais blanket for that, as well as for covering car seats. At $12, I can't call it a ripoff but I definitely think they market to new moms who don't know the "promo" is just their normal deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Amandak2012Amandak2012 member
    edited August 2014
    My SIL ordered the nursing pillow and was super disappointed! It looks like it was only worth a couple dollars. She said if she uses it she has to use another pillow on top of it. She is either going to get a boppy or a brest friend. I don't recommend the pillow at all!

ETA: I have ordered the leggings and have been pretty happy with them!
  • The slings are not safe for newborns or hands-free babywearing at all. You need something you can adjust and tighten down. Unless you are going to hang on to it until you are hip carrying your toddler, don't bother.

The Udder Covers are cheaply made but serve the purpose. I would stick with a receiving blanket instead because they are softer but if you want that apron-y style, it isn't a bad deal.
  • Good to know all this stuff! 
    It is a pretty genius marketing tactic-I have a hard time resisting 'free' anything.

I passed on the sling-sounded like it's a piece of crap more or less from what I read online as well as seeing what you guys think.

I'm glad now that I didn't get the pillow either!

We'll see how the carseat canopies and nursing cover work out. I did hear good things from friends with winter babies about the canopies-they said they used them quite a bit to keep baby warm. 

Thank you @alissendis for posting a code, I didn't think to do that!
  • Ha, sorry! No more. I searched udder cover in the board and didn't find any from this board but apparently I didn't dig hard enough.
  • Ahh, I found it on quite a few other boards after searching 'carseat canopy' and 'psa:free'..apparently in my FTM naivete I didn't think it through very well! Yeah the shipping is expensive. Well if I get the items and I like them I'll make sure to post a HUGE AW thread all about it because I know how much everyone loves lots of AW threads ;)

• I got suckered in to the sling. Once I got it and looked at it there was no way I was using it for my baby. Ended up sending it to my mom, she uses it to carry her disabled chihuahua around while she's working on her property. At least the dog is happy and gets to leave the house now!
  • Me too, unfortunately. Oh wellz. Only out $10. C'est la vie.
  • Nothing "free" is worth it in quality. Especially no a newborn. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• bck142bck142 member
    edited August 2014
    Like many of you, I decided to not take advantage of any of these deals as I figured the quality was beyond poor. However, a close girlfriend of mine and mom of three who has awesome taste sent me the car seat canopy as a small gift. It's awesome! I still registered (or will buy) for a winter, heavy zip up cover for my seat... But the canopy is still great. Material is very nice. Will be perfect for mild weather, to block sunlight or rain, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"