January 2013 Moms
Options

Bad experience at the park- WWYD?

We have a local community park we like a lot. It's connected to an elementary school, and the park for toddlers is fenced, clean and really nice. There is a big jungle gym and higher swings for big kids next to it.

DD and I go to this park 2-3 times a week. Once school let out, the Chicago Parks play schools started. One group plays at the big kid playground around the time DD and I are the the little park.

It seems like the people running this group are all teenagers- which would be fine, if at least one adult was present. There are none.

DD was sitting on a bench with me, putting her shoes on so we could head home for lunch. I noticed that one of the children from the group (they look to be 8-9 years old) had been pulled aside. I finished putting her shoes on, look up and see that one of the teenagers has forced this child to squat against the wall, and put his arms out. He is a little kid and obviously couldn't keep this up, so every time he got tired and his arm started to drop, the teenager made a threatening motion at him and the kid put his arms back up while squatting.

It was really upsetting to me, but all of the other parents had left the park and I refuse to confront anyone with my daughter with me. I called the parks department and the Inspector General. I feel like calling the police was too extreme, but it was really upsetting to watch this. A lot of these teens who run the grouo often curse and yell, so it's not like the best group of supervisors around.

What would you have done? I was angry enough that if I had been alone, or if one of our friends have been at the park to watch DD, I would have gone over and confronted that teenager.

So awful!
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Bad experience at the park- WWYD?

• Options
    oh wow..I probably would've done the same thing you did.  If someone else was there to watch my DD I would've said something  but you did the right thing.  I'd also go again around the same time tomorrow or whenever they are there to make sure something has been done.  This is awful and I would have gone ballistic if that was my son that this teenager was doing this to.  You did a good thing.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, that's crazy! At least at 9 years old the child will hopefully tell their parent about this experience. So sad. You did the right thing!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Update- the woman who runs the program at our park just called me. We had a really good discussion and I'm feeling a ton better. And I'm still glad I called!!
  • Options
    I think you absolutely did the right thing!  I'm all for teenagers working, but there definitely needs to be supervision.  DH's shop/office is across the street from one of the schools in our district, and they have one of these summer programs.  The school is about a quarter mile out of town which isn't far by any means, but it's located on a really busy road, and the speed increases from 30 MPH to 55 MPH right before the school.  They walk the kids into town to go to the beach/library/park.  They make them walk single file, and there is a row of teenagers/young adults between them and the lane of traffic, but my heart just sinks when I see it.  It would take one person not paying attention for it to be full on disaster!  DH hates it too, he owns a tree service, so he's constantly driving that road in heavy equipment, and the kids think it's cool, so they're always waving at him, trying to get him to honk, in essence, being really distracted, and DH is just scared to death that one day one of them is going to step out of line to get a better look.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options
    The park director made a really good point- the teens working are from the same underserved communities as the kids they are workin with. This particular teen was surprised that his use of corporal punishment was unacceptable, because it's what he is used to at home. Pause for the sound of your heart breaking.

The director is working hard to give these teens an opportunity to feel a sense of responsibility with a summer job, while also installing good values in them to take away.

• Options
    You did what I would do, I'm glad the director confronted the teen to not just tell him/her they were wrong but why, that kind of punishment is not acceptable for everyone. It's also sad that this teen has experienced this kind of punishment in home....I know there could be far worse things, but I just don't agree with that kind of punishment.

I would also be upset at the teenagers cursing and yelling....that is not the way children should be dealt with, no matter what kind of program they are in. An adult needs to be in more control of the group. Hopefully this has made them more aware and the teenagers are held accountable for their behavior and TAUGHT how to better handle situations with young children.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"