December 2014 Moms
Options

Paranoia has gotten the best of me :(

Hello Mommys-to-be! My husband and I are pregnant with our first baby (a boy)! We are 23 & 25 and are so, so excited about our little guy! All doctors visits have been great and everything has came back normal; however, I create my own phobias. My husband and I decided not to do the Down's syndrome test, yet, because no matter what, we will love our baby! I am just wanting to prepare myself in case we do happen to have a baby with DS. I am 22weeks and baby is moving regularly and we are both healthy parents. Please tell me I'm just freaking myself out and that there are other first time moms out there like me! Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Paranoia has gotten the best of me :(

• Options
    Thank you all! Our doctor told us that we were at a very low risk for having a baby with DS, but still offered us testing of course. Since we are at a lower risk, we decided that day not to do the testing, although the option is still available nonetheless. I think I have just let my nerves get the best of me. While I am the only one of my friends and family pregnant in the present time, it is comforting to know that there are people in the world who understand my paranoia and worry. Any and all comments are welcome! Thanks again!
  • Options
    Welcome and Congrats!

While I am much older than you (33), I, at first, decided not to get the test. I was worried about false positives and if it was positive having to deal with that. Well, I got really paranoid and worried and couldn't get it out of my head. So, in the beginning of the 2nd tri, I called my doctor and asked if I could get the screening. I did and my odds are 1:11,000 that the baby will NOT have DS. 

If you are thinking about this a lot, I would recommend going to have the test done (just a simple blood test) to put your mind at ease. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can I recommend you change your screen name?  A 30 second google search just brought up a lot of information about you.  

Test
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to team blue! Like PP said, I think all moms get paranoid. It's part of being a mom! Have you had your a/s yet? We waited for that test to decide if we wanted anything additional. Fortunately, LO looked healthy. I also mention EVERYTHING to my OB. It's what she is there for.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I want to agree with the other poster. If your baby, however unlikely, does have something wrong, the testing will allow you to educate, and prepare yourself now, as opposed to being a brand new overwhelmed mother who has no idea what she is in for.
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats! Since you know you're having a boy I would assume you already had you a/s... if there were any concerns for DS there likely (not guaranteed, as nothing is until birth) would have been soft markers such as an echogenic focus of the heart or bowels, shortened humerus/femur, and/or an absent nasal bone. I wouldn't worry yourself too much if your doctor isn't concerned. And if, by some low chance your son has DS discovered at birth, there are much worse things you can face. As PP's have said, children with DS are so incredibly loving, happy, and joys to everyone's lives that surround them. Congrats again on your healthy little boy!

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome! There are quite few posts about pregnancy fears. If you dont have family history I wouldn't get too worked up. There is always a chance but dont stress. Right now you have a healthy baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Such encouraging words! I feel much more comfortable with all of the advice and information! Thank you all! Our next visit isn't until the beginning of September so I'm going to talk to our doctor and put my mind at ease. It's so great knowing that I am not alone!
  • Options
    Welcome to the board and congrats on team blue!!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"