Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Any experience with tubes in ears

Any experience with getting tubes in your LOs ears?  I took my girls to get their 
hearing checked since there is a speech delay and we may end up doing this in the future.
If your LO had a speech delay and got tubes did they help?  

Thanks!

Re: Any experience with tubes in ears

• Options
    HennessyHennessy member
    edited August 2014
    Our DS got tubes at 13 months (he's almost 2 now).  He had really bad recurring ear infections and it was seriously the best thing we ever did.  As part of the surgery we had to go for audio tests both before and after and we had awesome results noted by the audiologist.

It almost immediately solved the ear infection problem and we noticed a flurry of attempts at words and sounds literally with 7-10 days after the surgery.  He's now extremely advanced with his vocabulary and his speech.

I talked to so many people who had it done before we scheduled it and there wasn't one person who didn't say, without a doubt, it was the best decision they made and we feel the same way!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries
  • Options
    My DD had tubes done about 10 days ago. She turned 14 months today. We haven't been back to the dr for a recheck yet but she seems to be doing well with them. She has definitely been more vocal (although I can't understand most of it) since she had them put in. So far I recommend them.

Previous poster: did your son ever play with his ears anymore after getting the tubes?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eran0810 said:
     Previous poster: did your son ever play with his ears anymore after getting the tubes?
    He actually never really had any issues afterwards.  I wouldn't say he pulled on this ears.  We also had really good recovery, we gave him the drops the Dr prescribed but we never had any discharge or anything that the Dr said could happen.

Perhaps if you have a lot of drainage your DD may be tugging at her ears because it feels funny to her?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries
  • Options
    My little guy got his tubes at 9 months , he had awful ear infections back to back. He is now 12 months, And knock on wood has not had a single problem since! He did pull on them for a while after the surgery. The doctor said he had to adjust to the new feeling of less pressure in his ears.
  • Options
    DS got tubes at 10 mos.  The surgery itself is very easy and over so quickly.  DS had ear infections starting at 4 mos with constant fluid never going away.  He has not had a single infection since and that was 12 mos ago.  He did not have any speech issues before that but he was pretty young.  

Also, he did pull on his ears afterwards but the ENT said it's normal.  The pressure change is pretty huge.  I would definitely do it again!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Sounds like there are lots of benefits to the tubes.  
  • Options
    Tubes at 10 months did not end ear infections for us, either. What finally worked was eliminating cows milk. Which we tried out of sheer desperation; I never thought it would work, but it did! It's like we had a completely different child within a week of starting almond milk. Wish we had tried that first.
  • Options
    @jonesie2010 I am thinking we may have the cows milk issue over here as well. Question for you though, did you eliminate just the cows milk or all dairy? Also, I am not sure how old your LO is now, but did your pedi think the Almond Milk provided enough protein/fat/etc in place of Cow's milk?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We started out eliminating all dairy. We did that for a couple of months. We have recently been adding back small servings of cheese, and so far so good. The pedi was not too concerned about the almond milk. She said to add in those things in other areas of the diet. She suggested pushing avocados, eggs, and peanut butter. And DD loves broccoli so I'm not too concerned about the calcium.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"