December 2014 Moms

A/S growth question

I had by a/s scan yesterday (baby is completely healthy and all good things) but I was told the baby is at 19w3d, one measurement was 20.4 cm and the weight was calculated at 10 ounces( totally a wtf you can tell that by a picture moment for me), while the scan happened when I am 18w5d.  They aren't changing my due date (which is 1/1/15). My concern is, if baby is already progressing five days ahead, does this mean I will have a big baby? The doctor said this will continue to vary as we progress and if it fluctuates by more than 10 days from the due date then we will look into this more.  He was very unconcerned about it and told me not to worry. I am a tiny person and my husband was a 9 lb baby, I cannot push out a 9 lb baby.  Any STM's experience this or any kind of advice?
D14 - Free For All
In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

Re: A/S growth question

• I had by a/s scan yesterday (baby is completely healthy and all good things) but I was told the baby is at 19w3d, one measurement was 20.4 cm and the weight was calculated at 10 ounces( totally a wtf you can tell that by a picture moment for me), while the scan happened when I am 18w5d.  They aren't changing my due date (which is 1/1/15). My concern is, if baby is already progressing five days ahead, does this mean I will have a big baby? The doctor said this will continue to vary as we progress and if it fluctuates by more than 10 days from the due date then we will look into this more.  He was very unconcerned about it and told me not to worry. I am a tiny person and my husband was a 9 lb baby, I cannot push out a 9 lb baby.  Any STM's experience this or any kind of advice?
    I had this same concern as LO measured a week ahead and at 10oz when 6oz is the "average". There is no need to worry about it just yet. LO will fluctuate in size until the very end. My sister told me that my nephew measured big at every single appointment and then came out 7lbs. Plus, they're measurements can be slightly of as well. I also asked my dr. about it at my appt yesterday and she said not to worry at all about it at this stage. 
  • Measurements through US are not an exact science - lots of room for error! 

Also baby grows in fits and spurts, so you could have just caught LO at the end of a recent growth spurt. I wouldn't be concerned! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Right now it doesn't really mean much. Your LO could have measured a little bigger because it just went through a little growth spurt in womb. 

FWIW, at all my a/s's my boys measured like a week ahead and they were both average babies at 7lbs7oz. The Dr said this one would probably be about the same (he measured 9.5oz at 18wks4d).
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  •  And how do you know you can't push out a 9lb baby? Plenty of petite women do.
    This.  :)
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• @candacec1020 and @danisgossipgirl I don't know that I can't but it scares the ever living shit out of me to do it.  His brother was also a 10lb 8oz baby. I just keep thinking of tearing and it has been an OMG I might have a huge baby moment.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• @candacec1020 and @danisgossipgirl I don't know that I can't but it scares the ever living shit out of me to do it.  His brother was also a 10lb 8oz baby. I just keep thinking of tearing and it has been an OMG I might have a huge baby moment.
    It's understandable to be afraid of a big baby and tearing but it can happen with little babies too.  DD was 7lb and I had 2 tears;  one was small but the other required many stitches. 

DD measured ahead at the a/s too but she was small and 2 days past her due date.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • I promise you, if my 105 lb friend can push out a 13lber, you probably can too ;)
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited August 2014
    They don't typically change the due date unless baby is LGA or SGA by 10-14+ days. Once you get into the third trimester, weight estimates have a higher chance of being off +/- 1-2 pounds, and there are many variables.

At 19 weeks my eldest was estimated to weigh 1 lb, which is a bit more than average, by about two weeks. And at 30 weeks the tech's estimate was 4 lbs., 3 oz, and the perinatologist's estimate was 6 lbs., 4 oz at 34 weeks. She started throwing around comments about a c-section (utter nonsense) and how she could very well be 10 lbs by my due date, which she likely would have been. My last u/s at 37w6d was a mere 8 hours before her birth and the tech got 8 lbs., 15 oz and "long." She was 9 lbs and 22 inches. She would have easily hit 10 lbs by 40 weeks, and it wouldn't have been a big deal. My labor with her was easy peasy, 3 hours, and I pushed for less than a few minutes and she was out.

Weight estimates with my others were also fairly accurate, as were guesstimates based on external palpation. With my second daughter, the midwife and I guessed 8.5-9 lbs by 40 weeks. She was 8 lbs., 9 oz and 21 inches at 39 weeks. She was born after 47 minutes of active labor, and virtually no pushing. Her birth was very abrupt and no one was prepared. She just shot out. I had a labial laceration due to her precipitous birth.

We also guessed 9 lbs with my youngest, but I was hoping for 10+ because I love bigger babies. He just fell out. I also had a labial laceration with him because he was born very rapidly.

I've known mamas that are petite go on to birth 10 and 11 pound babies. Heck, I knew a woman who birthed her 12 lb 6 oz baby at home and she's 5'6" and around 120 pre-preg. The pelvis loosens, widens and the supporting ligaments also loosen toward the end of pregnancy (due to the hormone relaxin) to accommodate childbirth. The baby's and mother's position have more to do with birthing a larger than average baby, or any size baby, than one's size. LOA (you can belly map toward the end) is the best position baby can be in at the start of labor, and ambulation is key for aiding in the progression of labor and the baby's descent, as well as the second stage. Gravity is your friend. So these factors play a bigger role than others.

G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• For some insight:

With ds#2 he measured 10oz at 18w5d.  I had bi-weekly u/s throughout my entire pregnancy for a cervical issue.  He was measuring large the entire time.  In fact, I had an u/s at 38w where he measured at 8lbs 15oz.

Long story short, he was born at 39w5d (I never went into labor).  He was a scheduled csection and weighed 7lbs 11oz.  So, moral of the story is that the measurements can be off.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Those measurements sound great to me. There's the individual measurements, then there's the formula used to mash them all together. Most doctors are fine with measurements within a week or so of the EDD.

DD1s head and abdomen measured at 3 days behind her EDD, but her femur measured at a week and a half ahead. 2 full weeks ahead of her other measurements. And, at almost 8, kid has legs like a gazelle. So, some of the measurements do translate to realworld development later on. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• It's way too early to say you're having a big baby, especially if it's your first. That said, this baby also measured 10 oz at 18w1d, and all measurements were 1-2 weeks ahead. My girls were both almost 9 pounds and were born at 39w4d and 38w1d. I don't expect this little man to be any less than 9 pounds! :-P But I know that's just how I grow 'em (no gestational diabetes).

Don't say you can't push out a 9 pounder!! I've seen many a first time mom push out 9+ pound babies before! You never know what your body is capable of. ;-)
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Measurements at this point don't dictate how big or small your baby will be at delivery. Plus, your doctor seems like he'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Whether you can push out a baby (big or other) has nothing to do with the parts of your body you can see. It has more to do with how big the hip opening is inside of you. So, you may (or may not) be able to push a big or small baby, but you won't know just from looking at your outside frame.

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• @BabyRN2009 - 9+ is great. I was hoping my youngest would be 10+ lbs, which likely would have been the case at 41+ weeks. But I had him at 39w4d and he was 9 lbs and 22" like my first daughter. Nice and solid.

I'm expecting another in the 9 pound range if born between 39-40 weeks, but if I happen to make it to 41-42 weeks, I'd guess closer to 10 or more. I also didn't have issues with glucose intolerance, which is the reaction I get from most OBs and providers with a more medicalized approach. I saw a NP earlier on, and when she saw my first daughter was 9 lbs at 38 weeks she said I should absolutely do the GTT, which I declined. She was pretty insistent, despite my reassuring her that I didn't have glucose intolerance during any of my pregnancies. 

My midwives with #3, 4 and this baby never discussed weight or managing bigger babies. My midwife with my third had an almost 11 lb baby, and my midwife with my youngest and this baby had 10 pounders. It's really no big deal for those practicing midwifery model of care.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• As others have mentioned, US weight estimates are not an exact science and fetuses, just like children, grow at wildly different rates in fits and spurts. My daughter measured a full week ahead at my AS and then came out a week and a bit late at 7lb5oz. 

I also want point out that the baby's weight isn't what you need to worry about pushing out - just its head and that doesn't always track with weight. I work with a woman who is 4'11" and maybe 100lbs soaking wet who had 3 babies vaginally all over 9lbs (her husband is a tiny guy too and all three of her adult children are petite). The limiting reagent is the distance between you 'butt bones'/ischial spines and as long as those are ~10 cm apart, you should be able to push out any normal sized baby and if you can't, that's why most people deliver in hospitals so that a c-section can be an option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"