December 2014 Moms

AS was today - No info :S - UPDATE

Annya26Annya26 member
edited August 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Had my AS today, and was so excited to see baby and hopefully have the sex confirmed. The girl who has done all my US in the past wasn't there, so I had someone new. The screen was turned so I could barely see. She didn't check for sex even though my MW requested the info, and she said nothing about the baby's health. :S Hopefully everything is ok, and the MW will have the results soon but I was really hoping for a little more info about what's happening in there!  UPDATE - Just left my midwife appointment and she had results already! (Quick!) Everything looked good except there was one measurement she wasn't able to get so they are sending me for another scan. So happy to hear that baby is doing well and a bit excited to have a do over and hopefully a chance to actually see the baby this time :)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: AS was today - No info :S - UPDATE

• you didn't ask while you were there?

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was told to be quiet until it was over. And then when it was over I asked if she was able to see the sex and she said she never looked, that I should have asked, and that she wouldn't provide any info - I have to wait until the doctor gets the results. 

I fully understand that the techs aren't allowed/supposed to say much of anything, but the other lady that I see always chatted a bit to keep you at ease, and then would drop little bits of info. This lady didn't say anything the entire time :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, what a twatwaffle! I mean I understand that they can't divulge much, but it is HER job to ask YOU if you want to know sex. Sorry about your awful experience!! Do you think you could requests a "do over"?? My tech was very chatty. They had a big screen in the room so I could see everything and she would tell me each body part she was looking at/measuring. 
  • Yea after my a/s I felt like the tech and I were best friends we had chatted so much. Lol. I would be super angry if they were that rude to me. And with mine the tech asked me if I wanted to know the sex. I have to assume the tech realizes that a lot of people coming into these scans are excited about finding out and at least would check with you if you wanted to know or not. Hopefully your midwife calls you soon with all good information!
  • @lionyloo32 - That sounds so much better! I don't think they will do another for me because she said she got the info and measurements that she needed BUT with my son I was send for an echo cardiogram because of a family history of heart issues. The cardiologist was wonderful, chatty and checked my son's gender so I am hoping that I will get to go to the same guy for this baby. 

I did an elective already and they showed she was a girl, but for some reason I am paranoid and having trouble accepting that (probably just because I'm so excited about it :P) and wanted to have it confirmed now that she is bigger. 

More importantly I just wanted SOME kind of "baby looks good" or something to keep my from freaking over the results for the next while until I hear something.
  • edited August 2014
    The first thing my tech asked was if we were finding out the sex that day. Maybe yours was still a bit nervous and cautious since she's new? Eta: Whoops, I read that as her being new to the office but I suppose she could've just been new to you.
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • The first thing my tech asked was if we were finding out the sex that day. Maybe yours was still a bit nervous and cautious since she's new? Eta: Whoops, I read that as her being new to the office but I suppose she could've just been new to you.
    Yep just new to me!! She seemed experienced and calm... maybe a little sick of her job or something? 
  • In Ontario this is a totally normal scan. You don't get to see anything except for last few minutes, and they can't say anything about what they see, healthy or not. Even about size, weight and heart beat. I had to wait for my midwife appointment for any info!! Nerve racking as a first time mom, but all was good.

Too bad about not findinggn out the sex though!
  • Boo! I'm sorry you had a crappy experience. I would definitely complain. Especially, that she didn't ask you about the sex and told you to be quiet. That is just ridiculous! 
  • @slbelfry22 - Also from Ontario - so yes normal BUT I'm used to far better bedside manner, usually the screen is turned so I can see a bit too, and usually they have always told me SOMETHING. Even though they aren't supposed to even disclose the sex, they usually do anyway (even if it's a "hey, there's a third leg" haha) but she didn't even look. 
  • My ultrasound was a lot like this too. The lady was very business and didn't chat with us or smile at all, or really tell us anything. We could see it on the screen and asked questions. We had to ask her to look for the sex, and she told us that it was still too early to tell because babies don't develop sex organ "that early"... (at 18 weeks, so I knew she didn't know what she was talking about.) When the actual doctor(not my doc, but the ultrasound doctor) came in we asked her to look for us and she was super nice about it, and Let us have a while to watch the baby and printed a whole bunch of pictures, and told us we are having a boy. We complained about the first tech to her and she was so apologetic about it and noted in our file that we don't want her ever again. If I were you, I would definitely complain.

The first lady didn't do her jon, correctly and we have to go back for another A/S next week, so we will get to see him again. So excited!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Omg I've never heard of someone being told to be quiet. What a terrible tech that was. I know they're not supposed to say much abt the anatomy but should be able to tell you the sex of the baby. Hope you find out soon (if you're not team green)!
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Ontario this is a totally normal scan. You don't get to see anything except for last few minutes, and they can't say anything about what they see, healthy or not. Even about size, weight and heart beat. I had to wait for my midwife appointment for any info!! Nerve racking as a first time mom, but all was good. Too bad about not findinggn out the sex though!
    This may be normal for some places in Ontario, but I'm from Ontario too and both ultrasound places I've gone have had a television mounted on the wall so you watch the ENTIRE thing yourself as it happens. Both clinics had techs who told us what they were seeing, the heart rate, the size, etc. My a/s tech even gave me a print out of all the measurements to take to my family doctor because I'm doing shared care. So I haven't had a follow-up yet about any of the pictures or measurements, but I still have my copy (my family doctor told me to keep one) of all the measurements and everything, including estimated weight and what the week/day equivalent is for each of the measurements.

Honestly, your experience will vary wildly from clinic to clinic. The ones I went to ONLY do obstetrical ultrasounds and my doctor said that made a huge difference in how they treat you and how they set up the clinic. I have no idea. I just know both places I went, I knew exactly what was going on and got to watch my baby on the screen the whole time. Plus my techs were both super chatty and friendly.

*ETA: My tech even said that she couldn't give me a total green light, but baby had all the parts she should have and that everything looked good, so not to worry while waiting to hear from my doctor.
    That sounds awesome! Are you in and around Toronto by any chance? I want to know where these places are in case I have to go for any other US!
  • OMG.  My AS is tomorrow.  I swear to god, this could NOT happen to me without a complete and total meltdown and fight.  I NEED to see the screen (in fact, the rooms at the perinatologist have big screen TV monitors that project the tech's screen).  They don't tell you the measurements, but I memorize them as the measure.  And I ask tons of questions.  I also walk in and declare that I'm a nurse and I'm going to be super annoying.  

<----- Not a good patient.
  • RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited August 2014
    It's normal for a tech not to tell you anything about the health of your baby, but I'm surprised she didn't tell you the sex if you asked for it. It's disappointing, but not abnormal, that you didn't really get to see the screen. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I would be really disappointed to not get to see the screen during the U/S.  I could deal with the being quiet and maybe even the lack of bedside manner, but one of the best things about the a/s is getting to see so much of the baby!  I'm sorry she was a heifer :(
  • That is really awful OP! To be totally honest I would probably have put up a stink and complained until the tech me the sex LOL. You should tell your doctor the next time you are in to see him/her and maybe he will give you a longer U/S in that office to compensate. People are so weird!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Jealous! Apparently I need to move somewhere else in Ontario. I was also always jealous of everyone getting pictures of their babies from their first ultrasound! I got nothing. They told me that was normal for Ontario, but I guess they just meant their clinics in Ontario. Crazy how different it is everywhere!
  • My 20w scan was in the hospital and the tech was so nice, chatted the whole time and we both joked at what a punk my little lady was for not giving any good pics. Then the doc came in and did his own check, and they both confirmed the gender (I had the Harmony test, so I've known for a while). I'm sorry your experience was not as good. You would think they'd know most people want to check and/or confirm gender.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I would be really mad and it takes a lot to get me mad. I hope you get some answers soon.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience! I would have complained for sure.

I'm in BC and my tech was friendly, chatty, and let me know what she was measuring while she was doing it. In addition to the form I filled out where they asked if I wanted to know baby's sex, she also asked me right off the bat to make sure.
  • Ummm...I'd been mad and complained and cried. I don't think they can turn the screen away, you have a right to see your baby! When we went to the anatomy scan AS the first thing the tech asked was if we wanted to know the sex. She was very lively and obviously enjoyed letting people see their child. 
    And there is no reason you had to be quiet during the scan. 
    Sounds like you had an old frump. I'm sorry. I would complain about her bedside manner. 
  • What an asshat! "Be quiet until I'm done"- ridiculous. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Annya26 said:
    That sounds awesome! Are you in and around Toronto by any chance? I want to know where these places are in case I have to go for any other US!
    Tragically, no. I'm in Ottawa. :(

Jealous! Apparently I need to move somewhere else in Ontario. I was also always jealous of everyone getting pictures of their babies from their first ultrasound! I got nothing. They told me that was normal for Ontario, but I guess they just meant their clinics in Ontario. Crazy how different it is everywhere!
    It's possible that Ottawa is just awesome at ultrasound places. I have no idea. My sister didn't get to watch hers, she just told me, and she's in the 1000 Islands region. :/ They wouldn't even give you a photo?! My first place gave us two photos for free, then the second place (for the a/s) we had to pay $5 but they gave it to us in a keepsake frame.
    Jealous!! 

And @slbelfry22 I didn't get a picture from the first ultrasound with either of mine either! They kind of just looked like little grains of rice though, maybe that's why :P But the 12w one I got pics both times and same with the 20w. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"