December 2014 Moms

Baby naming...

soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
edited August 2014 in December 2014 Moms
How is the process going? Anyone still deciding on names? I know everyone has their own style/taste, but what makes you choose a name? Do you and your partner have certain rules or traditions you follow?

My/our rules are pretty simple:

1. No ukneeque or trendeigh names or spellings
2. Must be classic/timeless -- Victorian, Edwardian, Regency era, from classical literature, poetry, film or music -- the arts 
(but still able to be easily pronounced and spelled)
3. Two middle names (started it with my eldest, and it only made sense to continue the tradition)
4. Must match the general tone and feel/vibe of the other kids' names
5. There must be at least one family member's name

Kids' full names:

Grace Elizabeth Katherine
Evangeline Lily Marie
Duncan Lewis Garibaldi
Henry Allen Greyson

And this little one, Ruby Eléonore Rose. 

Ruby after a maternal great-grandmother, and it's also DH's birthstone, and red is our favorite color. I've always adored the name Eleanor, but love the French spelling. Rose is just classic and timeless, and I fell in love with it after I saw Titanic. Had she been a boy, Theodore Westley Corgiat. I have been reserving Theodore for years now, and Westley is the main protagonist in The Princess Bride, one of my and DH's favorite movies. Corgiat is a family surname. The naming process has always been easy and quick. We were pretty set on Ruby when we found out the sex at 11 weeks.

G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

Re: Baby naming...

• Our list includes that the first name must be Gaelic (Irish), both in pronunciation and spelling, and the middle name after a family member. We've got our boy name set. We are really struggling with a girl name. 
  • Our rules: I make the rules. 

ha. I wish.  I basically told DH what I liked, and didn't really give him an option of choosing his own.  He's a teacher so he has a bad association with most names.  We didn't want anything trendy.. And didn't want fancy spellings.  We want more timeless, or even old-fashioned, names.

Boy: DH's grandfather's name, MN is my Dad's name
    Girl: We have two names with no association, just nice.  MN will either be after his grandmother or mine, depending on which first name we choose.

Sorry for the vague, but I don't want to say the names til LO is born.  I don't care for opinions, even though I have plenty!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kimba1976 - I love Gaelic names. Saoirse and Siobhan are two of my favorite Gaelic girls names. 

• aeonlux said:
    @kimba1976 - I love Gaelic names. Saoirse and Siobhan are two of my favorite Gaelic girls names. 
    My daughter is named Saoirse! I like Siobhan, but my husband, who grew up in Ireland, says he knows too many Siobhans and won't entertain the idea. Aisling is currently our top pick for a girl, but I don't love it the way I love Saoirse. The problem is that most Irish girl names are really not that pretty. 
  • @Cryssteen - I know teachers struggle a lot, especially with the growing popularity of "modern" names. Either names that are difficult to pronounce or there are multiple kids with the same name.

My mom chose my given name the week before she had me (it was something else, which I would have preferred). She heard the name being called while standing in line at an ice cream shop. It's a typical late 70's/early 80's name. :sigh: And I never identified with it once I became an adult, and decided I wanted to change it. So I've gone by a couple other names for about six years now, and decided to change both my first and middle name.

So far, my girls have been the only kids in their classes with their names. My eldest knew of another Grace, but she was in a different grade.

• @kimba1976 - A friend of mine recently named her daughter Liadan. So pretty! Saoirse is lovely, but would get butchered to hell in the States. I briefly considered it in the past. 

• made up a list on my phone of names that i'd hear here and there.  Got some ideas off the name board.  Wrote them down for H to write down his, then he never wrote anything down because he was impressed with mine, yay me!!!

No rules, except I'd like it to go well with my middle name: Christine.  I think we have a winner : )
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited August 2014
    I like strong family names.

Our boys are....
    -James Mathieu (he goes by Mathieu since H is James. So after H and my dad)
    -Everett William (after H's best friend and H's family)
    -And baby boy #3 is Charles Gatlin nn Charlie. Gatlin is a little iffy for me, I wanted Charles Gregory, but H was obsessed with Gatlin so I gave it to him since it's technically a family name (nickname from his side of the family). Charles is after his grandpa.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Mine are:

1) Must be classic/traditional and not in the SSA Top Ten.
    2) No unique spellings
    3) MN has a special meaning  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't name DD until 1 hour before we left the hospital. She was Baby Girl for the last 20 weeks of pregnancy and the first 48 hours of life. I refuse to name a child before i met them. I have to see and look and touch :)

My daughter is Alivia and middle name is Mya. She was due on the day the Mayan calendar was "ending". She didn't come that day but we liked that little historical peice.

I'm having a difficult time getting hubby to talk names. For boys I love Everett Forest. mn was my grandpas name. I also like Chase for a first name, and James.

For girls I like Piper, Hanaha, Emma and with any of those Jane as a middle name. That was my grandmas mn.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • ShawllsShawlls member
    edited August 2014
    My husband and I also have some rules setup:

1. No "S" names! We both have SS as our initials, so that is enough!
    2. Top 100 name, but not a Top 10 name (popular, but not too popular)
    3. Multisyllabic. Our last name is Shaw, so we prefer names that are a bit longer and would not likely be shortened.
    4. Bilingual (English/French). The name must be spelled the same in English and French and easily pronounced by people of both languages.
    5. Family name will be used for middle name, but not first name.

We have some names picked out, but keeping them secret :)
  • DH picked LO's first name (it's a name he has loved and wanted for a boy for forever), and I picked a middle name that I felt "flowed" with it. We put it together with our last, discussed, said it out loud a few times, and name was chosen. Our "rule" was NO family names. Too much pressure and too many people involved. For a girl, I was going to pick first and he would pick middle. 
  • We are team green so we are really struggling on deciding on names.  Plus he thinks it is too early and we will change our mind a 100 times.  We are going to try and come up with 3 of each sex and meet the baby to decide.  Our dog went by puppy and baby for two weeks until we decided on Thor.

1. No unique/crazy spellings/made up names
    2. Middle names are going to be after my family (the baby already gets his last name, I want something from mine)
    3. Ignore everyone else's opinions of names we like (name suggestions I can handle, but we aren't going to be sharing so people can't scrunch their nose)
    4. Consider potential NN's in advance to prevent unwanted comments
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• @danisgossipgirl I laughed, if I named our "son" that he would hate me and get the "No your parents didn't?!". I definitely couldn't do that to a child lol
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Other than not wanting it to be a top 10 name, we don't have any real rules. DH use to say there must be a possible nn derived from the name, so DD is Eliana (Ellie). He hasn't said a word about that so called rule this time around. At this rate, we'll be lucky if we can commit by the time she is born.

Right now Avery Elizabeth is the front runner, but we're also discussing Alexis Noelle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thank you @alissendis! We've gone through thousands of names and these are the only ones we can completely agree on. I'm ready to commit to Avery Elizabeth, but DH is the one struggling. Honestly, I think he's still just having a tough time that we're having another girl. Avery is relatively high on the list, but it's not a top 10 and that's A-Okay with us. I was a teacher for 6 years and I've only encountered one Avery. He was the little brother of one of my students.

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have husband naming rights over the first born boy's first name. We're having a girl though, so it didn't really matter.
    I wanted something timeless, not trendy; not too common (no one had my name growing up) and preferably after a relative. We went with AnaSophia (no middle name). It was my great-grandmother's name. We call her Sophie.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Oh, it also had to go well with the last name.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @courtneylovesjason2 - Love your names.  We are having a girl, but before we knew, our top two boys names were Griffin and Ryder.

BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought I wouldn't want a common name, but my daughter's name was in the top 10 the year she was born. I don't know any others though. For this one the name just has to go with hubby's mom's name as a middle name (#1's middle name is my mom's name) and we don't want it to have any nicknames since our first doesn't have nicknames.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wanted a name that isnt too cutesy or unique. Needs to be strong yet feminine, and flow with our last name and look good on a resume. MN has to be Turkish. Mine is, DD's is, so I cant leave this one out.

So far we have it narrowed down to 2. We will decide when we see her.

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • We didn't want really common names but also not something so far off that our kid would be made fun of for the rest of his life. I like names that will grow well with our little boy. It's a good thing we are not having a girl because we hated each other's girls' name choices. 

At the beginning of my pregnancy we each made lists and crossed off names on each other's lists...our final two were--

Anderson James or
    Graham Michael 

One day while I was getting ready my husband asked 'Are you and Graham ready yet?!' and that was when we knew!
  • We don't have any rules, I didn't want another "M" name in our crew. I think we're pretty set on Rowan Hendrix, but we're still trying them on.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kimba1976‌ Our firstborn is named after the Irish name Aibhlinn. We spelled it Aveline so it could be pronounced easily in English, but after hearing that it meant "longed for child", it HAD to be her name (she came after 2 miscarriages). <3

To answer the question, no specific rules except must have 2 middle names (DH has 2). So far their first names have meant something special to us, and their middle names are family names. Still struggling with a first name for Baby Boy!!

We have:
    Aveline Brianna Renee
    Brielle Megan Christine
    Baby Boy's middle names will be David Alan...first name undecided.
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • KSwitz011 said:

nesenotes said:

I wanted a name that isnt too cutesy or unique. Needs to be strong yet feminine, and flow with our last name and look good on a resume. MN has to be Turkish. Mine is, DD's is, so I cant leave this one out.

So far we have it narrowed down to 2. We will decide when we see her.

Just curious, what are some Turkish names? I don't think I've ever heard any before.

A lot of them are not my fave but I'm committed so I need to choose. Mine is Nese, DD is Aylin, I'm leaning toward Sevgi or Sevim (love) but I'm not sold yet. I need to pick my dad's brain and my cousin's brain for ideas. Their names are Yagmur, gizem, ecem, zeynep. Nothing is standing out as a winner.

A lot of them are yuck like fatima, Gul, kader...

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
  • We have no rules and still are not decided on a girls name. My hubby was named after jeff beck and eric clapton according to his mom, Jeffrey eric. So we were throwing around boys names and couldn't decide. One night my husband said how about James Marshall? I guess marshall is Jimi hendrex's middle name. I said sounds good. Not what I expected but hey if he was named after a guitar player why not our kid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I are both half Mexican so want something that sounds Hispanic but doesn't really need to be pronounced with a strong Spanish accent. We also wanted to use our grandparents names for middle names, but we have some tough ones to work with - Armendina, Benita, Eunice, Luis, Genaro, and Treffley.
    We're having a girl and her middle name will be Benita after my maternal grandmother who I'm incredibly close to. If it was a boy it would've been Luis. If we have a 2nd son or daughter, the tradition may end lol... I don't know if I would want to give my LO any of the other names!
  • My rules are just not too common and also not too uncommon that ppl don't know how to pronounce it.

We like 3/4 syllable first names and short 1 syllable middle names
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• nesenotes said:

A lot of them are not my fave but I'm committed so I need to choose. Mine is Nese, DD is Aylin, I'm leaning toward Sevgi or Sevim (love) but I'm not sold yet. I need to pick my dad's brain and my cousin's brain for ideas. Their names are Yagmur, gizem, ecem, zeynep. Nothing is standing out as a winner.

A lot of them are yuck like fatima, Gul, kader...

I taught a Turkish girl named Ada (add-ah). The name was really pretty, I thought. Her sister was Talya, her mom Mira. I apparently like names that end with a. XD

Those are pretty but Nora is one of the 2 we are debating on so it would be too many Ah's. Names are hard!

• We're having a hard time deciding on a name... in general there aren't that many boys' names we love (our girl name list was so much longer than our boy name list).  I don't think we have any hard rules, but neither of us like unique spellings or names that are too out there.  We both seem to be gravitating towards sort of old-fashioned names, and MH seems to like ones that are either shorter or have a nice nickname that can be derived from them (such as Ollie for Oliver, etc.). We thought we would wait to decide for sure until we meet our son when he's born, but I'm getting a little tired of referring to him as "the baby".  Haha!  We do have a silly nickname for him for now, at least.
    Me: 34 - PCOS | DH: 30 - everything looks good!
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    March 2014 - 1st medicated cycle - 5mg Femara CD 3-7 = BFP! EDD 12/26/14

It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've vented on this board about about our naming dilemma before, but the gist is that DH is Greek and wants to follow Greek naming tradition, which would dictate that this baby's first name would be after FIL and the middle name would be DH's first name. I, on the other hand, am not on board with this in the slightest because

a) I don't love FIL's name
    b) our baby will already have a first cousin who is named after FIL and I think it would be weird to have the same first name as a first cousin
    c) if googled, FIL's name pulls up some undesirable news stories related to his past
    d) there should be something of my side in the baby's name too!

That said, I agree on keeping first and middle name as names from wither his or my side of the family. I don't mind a Greek names but I am also looking at Italian names to include my side. I sorta of like the idea of picking a name from one side of the family but using the other side's pronunciation/spelling of it (i.e. Using Ioannis (translates to John) from husband's side but making Giovanni to include heritage from my side, or vise versa).

Previously DH wouldn't even discuss names if he couldn't have it the way he wanted. Now he is willing to discuss other options, despite still having a strong preference. Worse case I have a back up picked out if he goes back to his, "If I can't have it my way I won't participate" nonsense. I think growing excitement about the baby is what has him more willing to work it out.
    Married 11/9/13
    TTC since Jan 2014
    BFP 4/4/14, EDD 12/06/14
    image BabyFruit Ticker

• My rule is I can't know anyone with the name. DD is Lydia Kaylee and this one will be Kaydence Lila.
  • The only thing that really concerned DH and I is that the name had to be easily said and sound good Spanish. Given that both our families preferred language is that and we rather not pick a name that will be butchered all LOs life. Other than that I think I was the only with with more mini rules in my head. I personally wanted something not toooo different for fear that the name be slayed by teachers and classmates. But I also wanted something not toooo common. It also had to sound decent with the middle name Martin, my fathers middle name. The name we agreed on is Xavier Martin.

During the naming process there were family member jokes left and right with crazy middle name suggestions like yoyo and yoshi due to the fact that our last name starts with a Z and people wanted the initials to be X Y Z. For a while they would refer to LO as yoyo since they all thought it was hilarious, which at first it was. I think after all the joking my son will be unfortunately stuck with the nickname, yoyo.
  • LizzieRenLizzieRen member
    edited August 2014
    We are set on our girls name. I was supposed to follow tradition and name the baby after my mother (as I was named for her's and so forth) but I couldn't do it. I was happy to find out that my Mom hates her name and was relieved we wouldn't use it. My husband and I chose Maeve Elizabeth for a girl. My husband has his heart set on naming the baby after his father if it is a boy. He and his father have the same first name but different middle names. We are not in agreement on the name but he is standing firm. It is a BIG name to strap on a little boy. (His father doesn't want the baby to have the name either!). So as of right now the baby will be Cornelius Thaddeus II with the nickname Mack (his Dad's nickname and a derivative of our last name) Lizzie EDD 12/26/14 Gender TBD
  • Our rules for the first name:
    1. Hebrew or a Persian name that sounds good in Hebrew and English
    2. Spelling that is intuitive (nothing yuneek, just choosing a good transliteration)
    3. No biblical names - DH has a thing against them for some reason and I don't arugue
    4. Can't end in "ly', 'la', or 'el' or begin with 'el' because then it would sound bad with our last name

Middle name for this kid was predetermined to be Arthur or Lucile for DH's grandfather/Great Grandmother respectively. 

The rules are really specific and knock out a lot of names that we love, but this way we wont end up with a name that no one can say or one that fails to honor our kids' heritage. DH already knows what we're going to name this baby, but I'm not 100% on board with it yet. I prefer to have a short list and then wait and meet her, like I did with DD#1. 
  • My DH is half Spanish and half Mexican... him and his brothers all have Spanish names with Americanized nicknames (Roberto- Rob; Ricardo- Rick; Rodrigo- Rod) so, we want to continue that. 

My only other rule is that my Mom has to be able to pronounce it. I really like Samuel, but I keep pronouncing it in English and couldn't get the Spanish down and I realized that is what our baby boy would be facing his whole life... so, we are leaning towards Alejandro (Alex) and Andres (Andy). We thought about Antonio (Tony) but that sounds so Italian... so we'll see. Right now Alejandro is our favorite. 

We had a perfect girl name, but LO decided to grow a penis. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"