October 2014 Moms

Aden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets. What is the hype??

I sell a bit and buy a bit on eBay and recently saw that these blankets seem to be pretty popular. They're fairly expensive when you buy them new, but I was watching this set of 3 USED A & A blankets and the final winning bid was for $118.00!! It just so happens that I purchased a set of 3 A & A blankets for $10.00 from someone on an online yardsale. Different prints so I probably won't be able to sell them for a $100 profit when done. Anyway, anyone know what the fuss is about? Can't imagine any baby blankets worth over $100!
BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14

Re: Aden and Anais muslin swaddling blankets. What is the hype??

• msmoose511msmoose511 member
    edited August 2014
    Because their just that amazing, though I much prefer the bamboo a+a swaddles then the muslin, they are soo soft and silky. There is a b/s/t on facebook.... it's pretty intense!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They are super soft and light. We're going to get a set for this one; I'm always worried about the baby overheating with how warm our condo gets.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I love them, but not $100 for 3 love them.  It was probably a discontinued print.  It may be flameful, but I'm seriously considering shelling out $20 for 1 star a+a.  I really want that damned star blanket.

DS still uses his a+a swaddle as his blanket.  Thankfully he's ok with any print, I think it's just the texture.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Really like them, but only enough to pay retail. DD got too big for swaddle me's, and we were able to use a+a blankets for swaddling for another month. They were used heavily when she was an infant and still look new!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, why so expensive for used blankets??  I definitely wouldn't pay that much for them, but they really are amazing.  DS was always warm so they were perfect for swaddling him.  We also used them as a light cover over the stroller/carseat.  He's 3 and still sleeps with his lion blanket every night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image              image
  • SPurp13, they totally have a+a blankets at Target! They're like $35 for a set of 4. Really not that bad. Those are the muslin ones instead of the bamboo ones, but they're still really nice; the bamboo ones are $45 for 3. I agree, the ones on eBay must have been a discontinued print.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • @raynes You get you that star blanket, labor buddy! 

imageimageimage
  • I bought a package. DS1 was swaddled for months and months.. Finding the perfect swaddle blanket is worth the money, but definitely not $100!! I really like their size, texture, and weight.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • raynes said:
    I love them, but not $100 for 3 love them.  It was probably a discontinued print.  It may be flameful, but I'm seriously considering shelling out $20 for 1 star a+a.  I really want that damned star blanket.

DS still uses his a+a swaddle as his blanket.  Thankfully he's ok with any print, I think it's just the texture.

That's what they were! Two star print ones and one plain white. Figured the print was discontinued but still...lol
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • raynes said:
    I love them, but not $100 for 3 love them.  It was probably a discontinued print.  It may be flameful, but I'm seriously considering shelling out $20 for 1 star a+a.  I really want that damned star blanket.

That's what they were! Two star print ones and one plain white. Figured the print was discontinued but still...lol
    Yeah, I don't think they sell the vibrant star ones in a bundle anymore, and a single star blanket is anywhere from $22-28.

But, $118 is ludacris.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oooh, @MagentaMouse I found them. But what's the difference between the "swaddle wraps" and the blankets?

I ask because I like the print on the wraps, but not the blankets. If I put blue on there (my favorite color) no one will buy it because BLUE IS FOR BOYS. I've already been scolded for having so many boy things on there, and people are literally buying the same items I have on my registry, but in pink instead.

• We just ordered 4 for 36 bucks on amazon... why are they so much money elsewhere?  We got the muslin ones but now I really want the bamboo :)

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Yep, like others said, they were probably discontinued prints.  People get nuts for these prints--to the point of paying 100% or more markup for *used* blankets--and it's pretty strange.

They do have the blankets at Target, but they're not the same as the boutique blankets.  They are different prints, and they are slightly smaller than the boutique blankets.  Target's A+A are 44 inches square, whereas the boutique ones are 47 inches square.

• Yep, like others said, they were probably discontinued prints.  People get nuts for these prints--to the point of paying 100% or more markup for *used* blankets--and it's pretty strange.

They do have the blankets at Target, but they're not the same as the boutique blankets.  They are different prints, and they are slightly smaller than the boutique blankets.  Target's A+A are 44 inches square, whereas the boutique ones are 47 inches square.
    Yes- that is the challenge with the Target ones!  They are super nice and are very versitle, which always is a perk with an expensive baby item.  I'd never pay $118 for a set of blankets (and especially not used blankets), but I'd gladly shell out $35 for a set of 3.  My mom found nice muslin at a fabric store and sewed me a few more.  The A&A burp clothes that are shaped like a jelly bean are awesome, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • SPurp13 said:
    Oooh, @MagentaMouse I found them. But what's the difference between the "swaddle wraps" and the blankets?

I ask because I like the print on the wraps, but not the blankets. If I put blue on there (my favorite color) no one will buy it because BLUE IS FOR BOYS. I've already been scolded for having so many boy things on there, and people are literally buying the same items I have on my registry, but in pink instead.
    Grrr, that's so irritating! Our family threw us a surprise baby shower (no registry) and we got completely inundated with pink stuff. Some of it is very cute, mind you, but I'm really much more of a fan of the GN colors.

As for A&A blankets, y'all, I love them, too. I have two sets that I saved from my son's infancy, and, LUCKY ME, one of them has a pink girly print, because that's what was on clearance back when I was shopping for my boy.

I agree some of the prints are super sweet (we have monkeys and lions that I love) but I'd never pay that much extra for a better design.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • I love the muslin ones and just bought a fresh set for this LO, but like @archi35 now I'm thinking maybe I should return them and get the bamboo ones! 

• Thanks for posting this, I was asking a friend the same question a few days ago. She liked hers, but not enough to warrant the price. I'm thinking it'd be nice as a nursing cover (super light) but with this being a winter baby I can't decide if it's worth the splurge or not.
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • I wanted them so bad with DD, but could never bring myself to justify the price.  This time around, I'm justifying it with the fact that we don't have to buy too much for DS, so a few splurges are completely acceptable.  I was going to be satisfied with the 47" muslin ones (because if I'm splurging, why bother with the 44" ones?), but I hadn't even realized there was bamboo and that it's even better . . .
  • I think you can get a 3 pack at Nordstom for $45. 

• I ordered some from Albee baby and was able to use a 20% code but I'm still ashamed of how much I paid. :\"> my MIL gave me a check with a card to get whatever for baby and since this is baby 2 we don't need much- so this was a splurge item. But I can not
    wait to use these I became slightly obsessed with a few prints when I was researching them!!! I am also thinking they will be multi purpose like PPs mentioned (nursing covers, swaddles, shade in car seat, tummy time areas) ect
  • I've seen them at Target and a 4 pack is $34.99.  I think they would be good because they are bigger than the average receiving blanket that you can buy, but I wouldn't pay $118 for them!
  • Ditto to @Maggie6424

When DS was little the A+A blankets were too big for swaddling him, but they worked great for a nursing cover-up. DS still has to get his arms swaddled for his nap so we still use the A+A blankets. We've been using them for swaddling since he was about 4 months old.  I love the size for when your baby is bigger. I hated them when DS was first born because it was just too much fabric for him. 

;

• Ok don't shoot me, I got a blue star one at a local thrift shop for $1.50 recently...
  • We were given one set of new ones and one set of used. Before I even set up a registry. It's kind of nice to not have to wonder if they are worth asking for or not. I'm grateful to have them.

imageimageimage
  • I fell in love with the colors in the Liam the Brave print and decided to use that for my nursery inspiration.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"