Stay at Home Moms
Options

bummed out, feeling lost

After DD was born, I worked for almost a full year.  When I was still working, I still felt like myself- I had the same job, same friends, same basic routine, just with a baby waiting for me when I got home.  Not much changed with my relationship with DH, either, other than having to fit in sex during naptime or after DD's bedtime.  No big deal.

I really felt guilty being away from DD, so I quit work when she was almost a year old.  She'll be two next month, so I've been a SAHM for just over a year.  For the first 10 months I was home, I watched another little girl who's the same age as DD.  It was very stressful, so I quit that a few months ago.  Anyway, for the last few months, and especially for the last few weeks, I've been in a funk. 

I just don't feel like myself.  The weather is crappy, so I haven't been able to get outside for walks much, I cancelled my gym membership (to save $) so I haven't been able to work out at all, other than some yoga at home.  I have a hard time meeting with friends from work because they're all working 10-12 hour days and partying at night and I'm just not into that.  My only married friends live 75 miles away so I see them rarely, and I haven't made any mom friends yet because I wasn't able to take DD to any mom-and-me groups or anything when I was watching the other little girl.  I feel like I have no one to talk to other than DH.  I've been doing some web design and internet marketing for a local store and I meet with the store owner every 2 weeks or so, but I always take DD along with me, so I'm not even getting a break there.  The only thing I really do for me is a once-a-week Bible study that's started to feel more like a chore than a pleasure.  I don't really have time for any hobbies because I use DD's naptime to do my computer work, and time after she's in bed to spend with DH (when he's not studying).

To top it off, I feel really disconnected from DH.  He just finished finals for a class on Tuesday, and that class has been his main focus for the last 4 weeks or so.  When he really puts his nose to the grindstone like he did, everything falls to the wayside, especially time with me.  He did make time for DD every night, for which I was extremely grateful, but it also made me jealous because I felt like he'd rather spend time with her than me.  Normally, I'd just put on something slinky, drink a few glasses of wine, and have my way with him, but I'm feeling really gross and unattractive because I'm 5 months PG and every pound of the 15 that I've gained is in my belly. Sex is almost work for us now, and it sometimes isn't worth it.

I used to work in the fashion business, and I loved to look good.  I shopped sales and discount stores, but I was able to look pretty trendy no matter what.  Now, I don't see the point in buying new maternity clothes because DH is the only one who sees them, and he doesn't care what I wear (if it's not a short skirt, he really doesn't even notice).  I've stopped wearing makeup because my eyes are really sensitive suddenly, and I've stopped blowing out my hair because I want it to get healthy. 

DH and I plan on starting a few projects around the house this week, so that should give us something to do together and get us talking a little easier again, and it should give me some feeling of accomplishment.  I signed DD up for a storytime at the library and a gym class at the local fitness center starting in 2 weeks, so that will get us out of the house and meeting other kids and moms, and maybe I'll meet someone I actually get along with. 

Right now, I feel like I've lost my spark, or whatever you want to call it, that makes me who I am.  I'm just "Mommy".  I'm really down right now. I'm just wondering if anyone else feels or has felt like they lost a part of themselves when they quit working and became a SAHM.  How did you fix it?

Re: bummed out, feeling lost

• Options

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I have felt this way sometimes.  I usually get out of it by buying myself some new clothes, wearing makeup, fixing my hair.  Pretty much just focusing on myself a bit.  

Even though you don't feel like buying new clothes, etc, try it, even if your husband doesn't notice, you may feel better about yourself. 

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Options

Have you considered going back to work?  Maybe even part-time, if you'd be happier that way.

Its never too late to join groups - my local nest board is very active and meets regularly.  Or you could try Meetup.com, my cousin is a SAHM in a small town and has made friends that way.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are in a funk.  I've been there many times throughout my 8 years of being a sahm.  But you need to take time for yourself too.  It's very important!!!  I'm sure the winter weather and the pregnancy hormones aren't helping either.  But if you look good, even if it's just for yourself, then you'll feel better.  So definitely make an effort to shower daily, and to look presentable, it really does make your mood better.  If you enjoyed working out maybe try to find a gym with a daycare that isn't so expensive.  Definitely try to seek out a mom group too.  If you have family near by let them watch her for a day or a couple of hours while you take some time for yourself, and also go have a date night with just your husband or with another couple so you can get out with adults.
  • Options

Hi, I am with you more days than not I feel like I am just alone, my husband works so much, and just does not give me one day of his time, most weeks. So on top of just simply being board, when I do want to get out and do something, he is always gone. So then I get even more made at him because he has the life now, and can do whatever, whenever!!

I really dont know what helps, I too go to a Bible study called MOPS eo friday, really ejoy that. I cant go to they gym because it seems like more of a pain than anything, bringing pump, getting someone to watch her SNOW!

I dont know, I guess I just wanted you to know I am having my days as well.

• Options
    I'm involved in a MOPS group too.  It's been great to meet other moms that I can relate to.  I try to get out of the house most days.  Yes, it's work to take a baby out, but it's totally worth it for my sanity. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I definitely think you should find some moms groups, I found a great one on meetup.com.  Have you thought that maybe SAH just isn't for you?  There is nothing wrong with putting your kids in daycare if working makes you a happier person!  Also, maybe you are dealing with some pregnancy hormones on top of everything else?  I hope you feel better soon! 
  • Options
    Hi, I definitely know how you feel. I worked with #1 and then stopped working a few months before #2 was born.  Staying at home has been a huge adjustment and mostly I feel very lonely.  My husband works, coaches two nights a week and on at least one weekend a month and he's also in grad school so he's not around much.  I was okay until the weather turned crappy and since then have been feeling really down as well because of the cold.  One thing that helps is getting out of the house every day....it's a pain to get the two of the them in the car but once I'm out I usually feel better and both of them are much more well behaved in public for some reason then at home.  I begged my husband to keep the gym membership which has a great daycare so I do that.  I also joined a mom's group here through meetup.com but haven't done anything because since I joined by two boys have come down with RSV, and now it's the holidays. 
  • Options

I too know how you feel. ?I didn't think I'd be a SAHM, much less a mom, when I was growing up and even in college. ?But after getting married I wanted to have a kid and then I thought that I wanted to be there for my children to watch them grow. ?Besides day care is too expensive. ?I'd be working just to break even and it didn't make sense. ?So I've been home since I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my son. ?He is now 2 years old and I am expecting our second child sometime at the end of May/early June (depending when c-section is scheduled). ? It was great a first, DH helped out with the feedings and changing diapers. ?Then he just slowly stopped helping so much and was always gone, even on weekends. ?We also lived in a very small community and most our neighbors were my parents age, so there weren't many kids for my son to play with or mom's for me to relate to. Most of my friends either still worked or lived too far away for us to get together. ?I felt very alone and was depressed a lot. Then we moved. ?There is a playgroup in our new community and I take my son to gym class and met a few mom's there. ?My son has a best friend from that group now and we get together occasionally. ?Now that I am pregnant I haven't been going to playgroup as much because I've been really sick. ?And my DH is still gone all the time. ?Our new house still has "projects" that are being done so it's a mess a lot. ?My son is very demanding of my time which takes a lot out of me and I still don't get to see my friends as much as I had hoped. ?I just had a break down which I thought was a case of post-pardum depression while being pregnant if that is possible. ?I just cried all the time, was miserable, didn't want to get out of bed. ?Hated everyone and everything. ?Felt like I was the worst mother for not giving my son the attention he needed, and for not being able to give this pregnancy the attention I did the first time around. ?Felt like a horrible wife for always yelling at DH, blah blah. ?It goes on. ?Now I am doing better after talking to a friend but I still feel that sometimes I'm still alone. ?But it's gotten better. ?I think even if I was working I'd not be 100% happy either. ?I think that it's that my life has changed a lot in the last 2 years and I'm still trying to deal with it. ?To work it all out and accept it. ?It's hard. ?But I think just by talking about it with people (DH, friends, family, board groups, etc.) it helps. ?Now I just try to take it one day at a time. ?Try not to have unrealistic expectations of myself or my my life. ?I do love being home with my son everyday. ?I cherish it. ?Not that he doesn't annoy me sometimes but I still love him and still want to be home with him. ?I'm also learning to ask for help more and not try to do it all. ?I just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way and still do, some days. ?It's a work in progress but in the end I know it's all worth it, and some day I will look back on this time and laugh about it. ?Anyway, I hope just knowing you aren't the only one who is going through this helps you survive and gives you confidence that you can make it. ?(it's helped me). ??Good luck!

• Options
    Hey! I can totally relate! DH is working on his Master's degree and also working full time. He is constantly busy! We are expecting baby #2 next month...Right around the time that classes start back up. Some days I feel like I'm going to go crazy with his schedule. It leaves so little time for us. Plus, we have 1 car which he generally takes to work ( I hate driving in the snow) so I'm home almost all the time. It can be really trying when you feel like you're doing so much and DH isn't there to see it, or spend time with you. Staying home can be exhausting so make sure you are taking care of you. I would say schedule 1 manicure a month, continue blowing out your hair,(just deep condition, use it as you time) and at least throw on some mascara. This will help you feel like you! A couple pairs of cute yoga pants can't hurt ( I like target or gap) and maybe a comfy but cute turtle neck to go on top? Just keep in mind that while being a mom is full time, you're still wonderful and who you are who you always were. We're all here for you to talk to!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"