Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

question on outgrowing the infant seat

My DD is 32" tall and 24lbs.  That makes her too tall (but not too heavy) for her rear-facing infant seat.  She is heavy enough for her forward facing, but the height requirement is 34". So basically she's the right weight for either seat, but not the right height.  Is it safe to put her in the forward-facing seat? I can't find any information about it.

Re: question on outgrowing the infant seat

• Options
    Do you have a convertible car seat?  That's usually the next step after an infant seat.  That can rear face or forward face.  

It is recommended to have your LO rear face until at least 2 and best until they outgrow their seat.  
  • Options
    what do you mean by  "her forward facing"?  As PP said, if it is a convertible seat it should have a limit for RF and for FF, and my guess is she fits the requirements for RF in the convertible, which ideally is what the next step would be since she's outgrown the infant seat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like she bought a combo booster and not a convertible car seat. OP, there are convertible car seats out there that both RF and FF. She should stay RFing until at least 2, but the longer she stays RFing the safer she is. Putting a child too little in a FF seat is dangerous. Internal decapitation is no joke and can happen at much much lower speeds in children under age 4. This is why RFing is safer. It keeps their necks from being thrown forward in a crash and absorbs the crash around them rather then throw them forward. If you can I'd look at finding a good convertible car seat and either save the combo booster for when she's older or return it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My son is 19 mo, almost 34 inches and about 27-28 pounds in a rear-facing convertible car seat. That is what you need, and you should be able to find one your child fits and that fits in your car. I'd recommend that you check out the FB group Car Seats for the Littles. Not only do they have great info, but if you post your details they can help you figure out a good seat for your LO and your car.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll have to get a new seat. When we registered before she was born we got a rear facing infant seat as part of a travel system, so it's not convertible. A friend recommended also getting the forward facing on the registry, so thats what we have.  You all had very helpful information!
  • Options
    Yeah really most combo boosters aren't really even useful until they are more in that 3-6 range. However, most newer convertible car seats can last a good long while FF as well. This way you'd use it until they max out RFing, then switch FF until they max that out. Usually by that point they'll be ready for a real booster (usually around age 5-6). You may never need that combo booster. If you'd like recs I can give some to you (I'm a CPST tech) or check out the FB group CSFTL.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Everyone already helped you with this, I know, but I wanted to add an aside.  Just for the future, all qualifications have to be met for a seat.  So that means if she's outgrown a seat by any of the measures (i.e. height OR weight) it is outgrown.  Similarly, if a seat has stated minimums,  they all have to be met before it can be used :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"