Parenting after a Loss

Cake Smash Yay or Nay?

Yes it's time to plan this already can you believe it?? I want to have his 1-years done a little early so I can use the photos for his birthday party invites. I love the idea of a cake smash but is it too cliché or overdone? And will he end up on some kind of crazed sugar high?

Anyone who has done one of these, please share your thoughts. Bonus points for sharing photos!

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: Cake Smash Yay or Nay?

• I'm not a fan of cake smashing. I want to get 1 year/family photos done and since DH, Z, and I all have birthdays in the span of a week I want to do a family cupcake picture. I'm thinking we'll line cupcakes up by age and do #s on them. I know this probably doesn't help you but I would try to do something more unique for his invites but I'm not a huge fan of trendy things.

Yup I hear you there. And it makes me think of 'trash the dress' pictures which I am not a fan of because I think it's well. . .trashy (no disrespect to anyone who has done it, to each her own!), but I think this is different because it's just a fake cake you make for them to play with. I'm still on the fence. However, I have found some super cute outfit ideas for his photos. Off to etsy to shop!

BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• Loading the player...
  • Mom2anAngel2Mom2anAngel2 member
    edited August 2014
    We didn't do a cake smash for his 1 tear photos, just some cute outfit changes. I did, however? Make him a smash cake for his party and took some amazing pictures on my own. I'm not sure if it would have been as much fun seeing him smash the cake at his party if he had already done it at the photo session.

Like @PugLife5869‌ I made DS's smash cake. I made homemade whipped cream without sugar for the frosting and an apple cake that also did not have added sugar. We did not have any sugar high issues but DS had a blast making a mess.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I think they are adorable.  Yes, a little cliche, but the babies can have so much fun!!!  That being said, Emma did NOT like her smash cake.  She is really into textures and didn't care for cake and icing.  I wish I would have read @MoreThanSparrows08 tips before her birthday!!  I bet that would have helped.  I'm sure baby boots will have tons of fun with whatever you plan  <:-P

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think they are adorable.  Yes, a little cliche, but the babies can have so much fun!!!  That being said, Emma did NOT like her smash cake.  She is really into textures and didn't care for cake and icing.  I wish I would have read @MoreThanSparrows08 tips before her birthday!!  I bet that would have helped.  I'm sure baby boots will have tons of fun with whatever you plan  <:-P
    Yeah that's one thing I'm not worried about, my kid eats EVERYTHING. We don't routinely give him sweets (other than a few organic vanilla wafers but those barely qualify) but every time we have he LOVES it. He shares his Dad's love of cheesecake for sure!

• I can't believe it is that time already!
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

I know the time is flying by! On the one hand I'm so excited for all his firsts coming up, but I'm sad that he will soon be leaving babyhood behind. My little boy is growing up. I want another one. Waaaaah! lol

Yeah that's one thing I'm not worried about, my kid eats EVERYTHING. We don't routinely give him sweets (other than a few organic vanilla wafers but those barely qualify) but every time we have he LOVES it. He shares his Dad's love of cheesecake for sure!
    I made a cream cheese frosting for the cake that M LOVED!  She was practically licking it off the cake! 
    That sounds DE-lish!!!!!

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
    I know the time is flying by! On the one hand I'm so excited for all his firsts coming up, but I'm sad that he will soon be leaving babyhood behind. My little boy is growing up. I want another one. Waaaaah! lol

Yes, FLYING by!! Let me join you... Waaaaaah! :((

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• SciChickSciChick member
    edited August 2014
     really wanted to do a smash cake but the main cake took all night to make, due to frosting issues, so I just didn't have the time. I was going to do a small circle cake with the rose icing. I'll post a link to those directions, if you're interested. It ended up being not needed though and I was actually glad I didn't bring the second cake. And YES, there was major sugar and party overload. She had a meltdown that evening after her party and she doesn't usually have them.

• Oops, here's the tutorial for the rose technique. I wasn't going to do the vertical layer, though that seems really cool. That could be cool for boy/girl twins for a gender reveal, too. But anyway, here it is: https://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/

• SciChick said:
    Oops, here's the tutorial for the rose technique. I wasn't going to do the vertical layer, though that seems really cool. That could be cool for boy/girl twins for a gender reveal, too. But anyway, here it is: https://iambaker.net/rose-cake-tutorial/

That is awesome!!!

IMG_9038.stamp

• We did one only bc the place where we ordered P's sheet cake gave you a free one. He wanted little to nothing to do with it.
  • We didn't do professional photography or anything but we did order J a little cake of his own, it was actually free with the birthday cake. It was super fun for him after he got the hang of it! J didn't get a sugar buzz, he honestly played in it more then he actually ate. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I can't believe Baby Boots is getting ready for his first birthday party!!! Personally, I think the cake smashing is more traditional than cliche. It's not something that is just "in" right now. You can't go wrong with a good cake smash! Make sure you share pics if you decide to do it! :)

BFP #1: 3/23/13, EDD: 11/22/13, MC: 4/2/13
    Convinced it was a boy and missing him every day!
    BFP #2: 10/25/13, EDD: 7/3/14, Grow baby Grow! Anabelle Rose born 6/6/14 

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk
  • We are doing one at the end of the month for her party, not pro pics.  Where did the time go?!?  I'm going to make it myself, using whip cream frosting.  That way I can control the sugar, and I know she doesn't have issues with milk products.  I'm also just doing a 3" round, instead of some of the huge ones that people do. 

TTC started Oct '10
    Me: AMA w/RSD, atypical PCOS w/IR, LPD and High Prolactin. Controlled HP post-loss.
    DH: Low-T and borderline morph
    18 cycles, 3 medicated w/RE to get to a BFP!
    EDD 9/7/12, Saw HB @7w3d,missed m/c 1/30 @8w3d, d&c 2/8
    11 AL cycles, 9 medicated/IUI cycles. All BFFN!
    Moving forward with IVF
    BFP#2 our little cycle break surprise on AL cycle 12! EDD 10/27/13
    Beta #1: 41 Beta #2: 398; perfect u/s 3/11 hb @133bpm
    u/s 3/25 one perfect hb @183 bpm, adjusted EDD 10/23/13
    MaterniT21 and carrier screens normal. It's a girl!!!
    Severe Pre-E, HFpEF, PE, AMA & IF= OAD

imageimageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    All IF/AL Welcome!
  • esd said:
    We didn't do professional smash cake pictures but we did give each LO a giant cupcake on their birth day. DD loved every second of it - but really didn't actually eat enough of anything to get too much sugar. She just got icing all over herself. DS1 did not like the cake at all. He played with it some but mostly ignored it. Here's pictures of what we did. For DD we took the cupcake off and gave only that part to her. The rest we served to the guests. They were very easy to do. Edit - sorry for the duplicate pic of DD's cake.
    Those are great! Did you make them yourself? Is it icing or whipped cream?

• I'd like to add one more tip (that I can't believe I forgot in my first post!)

NO BLUE ICING!!! It doesn't look good at all in photos, and if you convert a photo to black and white, you just end up with a really dark grey in place of the blue.

Also, lighter colored cakes are best - chocolate doesn't show up well on camera, either.

Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
      DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
    TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
    US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
    BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
    All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
  • I think the smash cakes are fun! Take advantage of LO's curious nature and get some photos done. There are tons of organic, low-sugar recipes out there; I'm sure you'll find one that Baby Boots likes.

We didn't do a smash cake. For J's b-day I made cupcakes and she got one of those. I made a chocolate cake recipe that's more cocoa-based and has less sugar. The icing was buttercream, but I made it myself and (honestly) didn't worry about her sugar intake. J rarely gets anything sweet so it was her special treat :) Here's my bonus PIP:

So cute!

• SciChickSciChick member
    edited August 2014
    Yesterday I didn't get to post a picture of the birthday cake I made for S's first birthday, so here it is today. We really didn't need the smash cake. She did just fine with this one.

• MickeyM04MickeyM04 member
    edited August 2014

We did one with DS, and cliche or not, we will do one for DD as well.  It was a lot of fun and made for some great memories.  We were all covered in frosting and DS HATED it, but we got plenty of pictures of him smiling after we started playing with him in the frosting mess.  I still have the pictures hanging up in my office and at home.  Definitely fun.

Edited to add that I don't think DS actually got any of the cake/frosting in his mouth, so no sugar high whatsoever. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"