Babies: 3 - 6 Months

flat head

How worried should I be that my daughter is developing a flat spot on the right side of her head?  The doctor just suggested doing some stretches at her 3 month apt.  She is going back to the doc in 2 weeks.  

Are most babies heads flat/funny shaped? Do they grow out of it?

Re: flat head

• Definitely listen to your pedi. Our LO has a slight slant - nothing they are too worried about. However they did recommend neck stretching. ... which we do. You can also alternate which side you lay the baby down in the crib, meaning one night place his head towards the top of the crib and the next night towards the bottom as babies naturally look towards the middle of the room. We also alternate feeding directions. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Following... my 3 month old LO has always preferred his right side. He will turn to the left without any pain or anything, but just prefers the right. His head is flat on the right now. Even his ear is a sticking out now because it folds so much on that side. His pedi doesn't seem too worried, but told us the same tricks: propping, toys on the left side, alternating positions in crib. We bought the noggin nest from Boppy. It helps keep his head straight, but doesn't work 100%. My pedi said when babies start to sit up more, more tummy time, etc, the problem seems to resolve itself. It definitely is scary though. He always ends up turning his head toward the right at night, even if we prop him. Sucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"